We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sorrento, Positano or Naples????

UK
Level Contributor
266 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Sorrento, Positano or Naples????

Hi, we are travelling to Italy next June, spending 3 nights in Rome and then getting the train down to somewhere on the Amalfi Coast or Sorento. We shall be staying for 5 nights and flying out of Naples airport back to the UK. Our primary reason for visiting is to show our 14 year old son Pompeii, Vesuvius, Capri and any other historical sites. We also want to be near the water but within walking distance of restaurants. My son is desperate to try authentic pizza in Naples! I've spent hours reading postings on Tripadvisor and still can't decide whether it would be best to be based in Sorrento or Positano (or anywhere else anyone can recommend!). As we shall be out for most of the day, we need a base where we can chill out, hopefully enjoy the beautiful views and still be able to walk to decent taverna/restaurants. If anyone has done a similar trip, or can give any advice on where to stay, I'd be really grateful. We have no problems hiring a car from the airport, but if it's easier to take public transport then that will need to be a consideration too when deciding where to stay.

Many, many thanks.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
40,079 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Sorrento, Positano or Naples????

If you are basically just wanting a base rather than a destination at which to just enjoy that spot, I suggest Sorrento. You can get the train to Pompei from there, the ferry to Capri, bus or ferry to the Amalfi Coast.

UK
Level Contributor
266 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sorrento, Positano or Naples????

Many thanks, MomCat! We've definitely decided on Sorrento! Now just trying to find somewhere to stay!

Thanks for your help.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sorrento, Positano or Naples????

If you've not seen it, these may give you some idea of what Sorrento's like, and what's where nearby....

Although it's well due for an update (so do crosscheck any times, prices etc - and perhaps not rely on any of the references to the 'Metro del Mare'), there's a useful 'Travel Directory' to the various towns and villages along the Sorrento Peninsula and Amalfi Coast that can be downloaded from the official tourism website, here...

http://www.costiera.it/weben/index.htm

...or, directly, here..

costiera.it/images/pdf/TravelDirectory_En.pdf

And perhaps the maps of the area's public transport, available also as PDFs from:

http://www.unicocampania.it/index.php?lang=en

Peter

Edited: 22 August 2011, 15:48
UK
Level Contributor
266 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sorrento, Positano or Naples????

Many thanks, Peter - this is incredibly useful. I expect that we'll be relying heavily on public transport and I've got a lot of fantastic information from the Sorrento trip reports. As long as we get to see Pompei, Capri, Positano, and get a true flavour of Sorrento, I'll feel that our five days there will have been well spent!

Thank you once again.

London
Level Contributor
8 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sorrento, Positano or Naples????

Having just been to Positano twice in 2 months I would have to say make your base Positano! Sorrento is really big whereas Positano is smaller but with lots of restaurants all in walking distance. Plus you can get ferries from Positano to Capri. I will admit I only went to Sorrento for dinner so can't comment on the quality of the beaches but Positano and along the coast towards Amalfi has numerous beaches, which in June should be pretty quiet. If you're hiring a car, you can drive to Amalfi and Ravello, which has music concerts and is the home of Limoncello. You can also get water taxis to nearby towns from Positano. Let me know if you'd like restaurant recommendations in Positano and Capri ( been there twice)!

UK
Level Contributor
266 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sorrento, Positano or Naples????

Hi Kirstyrae! I'm very tempted by Positano but was worried about public transport access to Vesuvius and Pompei. Sorrento seems to be the main hub for transport to all the places we want to see, but frankly, I'm open to anywhere that will give us beautiful views of the bay, and where I can find some nice accommodation that isn't going to cost us a second mortgage! I'd be really interested to hear your thoughts. I've been put off about hiring a car as it seems the roads in Sorrento can get very busy. What was it like in Positano? And I'd definitely be interested in restaurant recommendations, and also accommodation - where did you stay?

Many thanks

London
Level Contributor
8 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sorrento, Positano or Naples????

Hi there

I think Sorrento and Positano are probably fairly different experiences of Italy. I think Sorrento is sort of like Naples or Rome, as it is a pretty big town whereas Positano and Amalfi are really beautiful little towns but not small enough that there is nothing to do! We rented a scooter while we were there and in July the traffic wasn't that bad but over this last weekend there was certainly more traffic. The roads are quite narrow and pretty windy but there are lots of public buses, which go to Amalfi and Sorrento for about €2 to €3. You can do a tour to Pompei and vesuvius if you'd rather not drive. We stayed at Hotel Palazzo Murat both times, once in a superior double with a bit of a sea view and then in a garden double. We preferred the garden double as it was not much smaller and was €90 a night cheaper than the superior double (€220 per night as opposed to €310 a night). This included breakfast and wi-fi in the room plus they both have balconies and Sky tv. We ate at quite a few restaurants and to be honest they are all pretty much the same price and the food is very good. Restaurants that stood out though are: Da Vincenzo ( I'm waiting for my review to be published), Next2, Saraceno ( very close to Da Vincenzo) and the view

from Bruno's is amazing! All of these are in walking distance from the hotel. In Capri you must go to Il Geranio followed by a walk along Via Krupp. A great swimming spot is Il Faro in AnaCapri, which also has a great restaurant. You can get a bus there from the bus station in Capri. If I can help anymore, let me know!

kind regards,

Kirsty

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
820 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sorrento, Positano or Naples????

Hi kirstyrae,

We are in the midst of organising our trip for next June.

We are coming from Rome and I am at the moment planning our transfer/tour from Rome to Positano.

No accommodation booked yet though.

I have almost decided to have a private car pick us up at our Rome hotel and transfer us to our hotel in Positano, stopping at Pompeii and Vesuvius on the way, an extra 4 hours I am told.

My question is this

Should we arrange for a tour around the Amalfi Coast to all of the towns, takes the best part of one day OR should we just bumble around on our own to see them all?.

We will only be in Positano 3 nights, 2 full days and want to see as much as we can without being exhausted.

Also

What was the weather ie; temperatures there this year?

Cheers gomozzie

London
Level Contributor
8 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sorrento, Positano or Naples????

Hi Gomozzie

I'm not sure how much you are paying for your private transfer but I'm assuming it is a fair amount as we paid 110 Euros just from Naples airport to Positano. You can get a train from Rome to Naples ( …about.com/od/…rome-naples.htm ) which takes under 2 hours and is pretty cheap. You could always then get a tour to Pompeii and Vesuvius. I definitely wouldn't do the whole of the Amalfi coast in one day as it would be too much. Will you be hiring a car or a scooter when you're in Positano? There is a pretty good bus service to all the places along Amalfi so you could do Sorrento one day and then Amalfi and Ravello another day. You can also get water taxi's to Amalfi and Sorrento, which gives you a lovely way to travel as the coast is beautiful with little beaches dotted about all over the place. The hotel we stayed at, Palazzo Murat also offers a free tour by boat so if you get the bus/taxi/car you can still see the coast by boat for free. However, having said that, you could do Sorrento, Amalfi and Ravello in one day and then do a day trip to Capri or Ishcia (both are amazing). We went to Ischia and Capri two years but we went back to Capri last month. The ferry from Positano took 45 mins and cost 17 Euros each one way.

The weather in June should be pretty hot! When we went in July it was in the high 30's and this weekend gone it was averaging 34 degrees each day. Take lots of suncream!

Kind regards,

Kirsty

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
820 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sorrento, Positano or Naples????

Thankyou so much for your reply kirstyrae.

We have pretty much decided not to go with the trains to get to Positano, we did at first but the transfer works out only 30 euro each more, hotel to hotel without the hassles

We won't be hiring a car, haven't considered scooters, yet but probably not.

We can do a tour with the company that is transferring us, starts and ends at Positano, taking around 7 to 8 hours, stops at all of the mainland towns. He has great reviews

You mentioned the boats in an earlier post, that is why I was wondering whether we are best to try and do it ourselves and see it from a different perspective.

Just not sure at this point but looking for opinions

The next day I thought we would do Capri etc.

Did you like your hotel?

I have been looking at Miramare and Buca di Bacco.

Thanks, once again for your input.

Cheers gomozzie