We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Positano or Sorrento

London, England...
11 posts
Save Topic
Positano or Sorrento

I would like to ask we are plannig to go next summer to positano or sorrento for our honeymoon but i need tour help to dicide we are is best for us

thank you

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
20,110 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Positano or Sorrento

Sorrento is great if you plan on visiting places like Pompeii, or Ercolano. Capri is also easy to visit from Sorrento.

Positano is on the Amalfi Coast, and is a great base fro exploring that. There are also ferries from Positano to Capri.

Really depends on what you want to do.

If you have enough time, you could also split your stay between the two.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,184 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Positano or Sorrento

I think Sorrento is a great base. No beach to speak of but can still swim.

Positano is very steep and on the Amalfi Coast, winding road. Romantic though.

From Sorrento you can still do the Amalfi Coast by car or bus...the latter is probably better for the views especially of you are the driver as there may be no place to stop for photos or parking and you may have to back up in places, especially for buses. You can hop off the bus at Positano and spend some time and then go on to Amalfi later and then return to Sorrento as we did.

Down below the cliffs of Sorrento you can also get the large and modern car ferry over to the Isle of Capri. Nice ride and if going get the bus up to Anacapri on the top. Small pretty village. Also down at the Marina Grande in Sorrento there are restaurants. There is a small bus that pulls into the Piazza in Sorrento that can take you down to the harbour for about a euro one way. Get the car ferry to Capri there.

Also can get the train back up the line to Pompeii for a half day or so.

I'd say Sorrento is a good base and there is even a ferry across to Naples from there also.

See my reviews of Sorrento, Capri, Amalfi Coast and Pompeii.

Also have a trip wow of the same

…tripadvisor.com/tripwow/ta-00d0-7de0-b8f5

Enjoy Italy

Italy
Level Contributor
39,487 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Positano or Sorrento

I would go with Sorrento.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,184 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Positano or Sorrento

Hey, meant to add just being in Italy is romantic enough!!! A picture at every turn.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
710 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Positano or Sorrento

Have done holidays in both. The views from hotels in Positano are more dramatic and romantic. The old town of Sorrento provides for easy strolling and shopping. I found the restaurants to be more enjoyable in Positano, many with stunning views. Probably equal in costs. If I was staying in Positano I probably would not make a trip to Sorrento. If I was staying in Sorrento, I would definitely take a trip to Positano. From Positano you can do all the same side trips you can from Sorrento. 2 beaches in Positano, none in Sorrento. Sorrento is a tourist hub for UK travelers. Found that many tourists returned to their hotels in late afternoon from day trips, so evening in Sorrento was more crowded. Found in Positano, that most day trippers left in late afternoon, so less tourists in the evening. Liked Sorrento, but loved Positano.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
7 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Positano or Sorrento

I have spent much time in both Sorrento and Positano, planning our wedding 2 years ago. The views and ambience in Positano is second to none, it is very relaxing, picturesque and quaint. Sorrento for me is a large town - lots of hustle and bustle. I would stay in Sorrento to take the Pompeii and other trips. Positano is more relaxing to go to Capri, Ischia and a great base to tour the Amalfi Coast. There are nice beaches in Positano but none in Sorrento. Enjoy your holiday which ever you choose, both are magic in different ways.

New York
Level Contributor
2,391 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Positano or Sorrento

Tinseltoes... you can get to Ischia for the day from Positano? I thought only from Sorrento or Naples. I am planning a trip this May and staying in Capri, Sorrento, and Positano. Deciding what else I'm doing is helping me to decide how many nights in each. I plan on Ischia for the day and thought it must be done from Sorrento.

Hi Elena-

First you need to decide what you want to be doing. Do you prefer to just relax in a lounge chair for the duration enjoying meals, wine and perhaps simple boat rides? Or are you looking to do day trips most days to places such as Pompeii, Vesuvias, Herculaneum, etc....

After you know what you want to do the decision will be much easier.

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
116 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Positano or Sorrento

Definitely Positano! My husband and I were there for 6 nights in September for our honeymoon and LOVED it!! Getting to Capri is easy and we still went to Pompeii (took the bus then train...was about an hour and a half total). Getting to Pompeii isn't as convenient as from Sorrento but it is worth the hassle because staying in Positano is amazing!! It is breathtakingly beautiful, especially at night... the perfect place for a honeymoon. I guess it all depends what you interested in - Positano is a small town but it is very beautiful and romantic with lots of great restaurants! It is on our must return list!:)

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
46,872 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Positano or Sorrento

I would choose Sorrento,, Positano is beautiful but really not a lot there,

and you need to be a mountain goat to get around, Sorrento offers more and some lovely Hotels, but visit Positano not to be missed,

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Positano or Sorrento

MiriamLisa....

It's often the case that people aren't aware of precisely what happens at times they're not here.

For as many years as I've been watching, the direct service over to Ischia from the AC hasn't started until mid-June - to be precise, on the 14th in 2010 and 2011, the 15th in 2009....

www.pbase.com/isolaverde/image/125608920

... and, for the last couple of years, it's finished again on or around 15th September, though the 30th in 2009.

During the extreme off-season, to get here you'd have to go to Naples - from where there are lots of crossings.

But any time from very early in April until the end of October or so, you can also cross from Sorrento, on Alilauro's daily 09:30 hydrofoil...

www.pbase.com/isolaverde/image/131364851

And that's more or less the lot - give or take a few excursions that are laid on once the season's going!

OK?

Peter

Get answers to your questions about Positano
Recent Conversations