We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Positano only or Capri too for itinerary?

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
135 posts
Save Topic
Positano only or Capri too for itinerary?

Hello,

We are going to the Amalfi coast for 6 nights. We were plannign to spend all 6 in Positano but are now wondering if we should do 2 or 3 nights in Capri too? If so, is 2 nights enough so we still have 4 nights nad 3 full days in Positano or would you suggest splitting it 3 and 3 instead of 2 and 4? Thanks for any suggestions.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,874 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Positano only or Capri too for itinerary?

If you have never been to either, I would suggest splitting the time; how many days in each, I would say can be decided when you figure out what you want to do and see in and from each place.

You don't say what time of year you are going but, I am going to guess you are arriving in Naples and if so, I would then take the ferry straight to Capri, spend your 2 or 3 days then, if it is in high season and the ferry is running, you can leave Capri and take the ferry straight to Positano from there.

If it is not high season and the Capri-Positano ferries are not running, you can then take a ferry from Capri to Sorrento from which you can catch the SITA bus to Positano.

Here's a link with in Capri info: www.capri.net

I love both spots and I guess if I was going for the first time, I would split the time in half as there is much to explore in each spot.

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
21,093 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Positano only or Capri too for itinerary?

I spent 8 nights on capri in May 2008, and it was great. There is plenty to see and do there. We went on a boat tour of the island, blue grotto, Natural arch, Villa Jovis, Beach resort Lido del faro, Museums Red house and Villa san Michele, Churches San Contanzo and San Stephano, abandoned monastery Certosa San Giacomo.

beautuful scenry

www.slowphotos.com/photo/showphoto.php…

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
135 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Positano only or Capri too for itinerary?

Thank you both for your response and thoughts.

We will be coming in late September. I think we are leaning towards splitting 3 nights and 3 nights. Will then have 2.5 days in each. SOme top things we want to do

Relax and just enjoy the scenario.

Nice long lunches

Hiking

Boating - blue grotto and also up the amalfi coast

Ravello - I would like to go up there shopping and also dinner/ music

Would liike to fit in Pompeii if we can do it on our way back to Rome to fly out (we will need one night in Rome to make our flight but arent planning to spend any time there as we have both been). Any thoughts on doing Pompeii? How much time do you need? Also, easiest way to get there from Positano - private car or what? Thanks again.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,874 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Positano only or Capri too for itinerary?

Unless you are coming in from an international flight, you might want to go directly to Pompei - where there is a place to leave your luggage - explore the site then go to Sorrento (about a 20 minute train ride away) and take the ferry to Capri.

When I have been there in late Sept. the ferry from Positano was running to Capri (and vice versa). I don't think there is any completely guaranteed services in advance of a season because of funding issues but I think it is very likely to still be running then.

Going to Pompei from Positano would just be more involved and a car service would cost quite a bit.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
135 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Positano only or Capri too for itinerary?

We are actually coing in from the US directly so going on our way from Rome will be too much I htink. We will have just gotten in that morning. Any options on our way back out or no?

chicago
Level Contributor
130 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Positano only or Capri too for itinerary?

Nine of us spent a week in Positano then 2 nights, 2.5 days on Capri. Loved Capri especially after 4pm when the day trippers left. Felt that the amount of time there was good. Didn't want to cut our time in Positano at all. Too much to see and do on the Amalfi Coast.

You have a train or some sort of 3 hour ride from the Rome airport. Try for a cat nap then see Pompeii on the way to Capri. I think we actually could have survived doing it this way. Took 5 hours out of our time in Positano going to Pompeii from there.

Have so much fun!

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
135 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Positano only or Capri too for itinerary?

Great info Chicagotravel. Thanks. So you did Positano first and then 2 nights on Capri? Then back to Rome? Or you did Capri first? Just trying to get down an itinerary and trying to decide what to do first...Capri or Positano...now that you have convinced me to do both. And thanks for info on Pompeii. No do not want to take 5 hours to go so may just do on the way... Thanks for your feedback

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Positano only or Capri too for itinerary?

Spent 7 nights in Positano and absolutely loved it. Trips to Ravello, Pompeii, Amalfi, walk of the gods just to mention a few. Took 'speediboat' to Capri for day trip and had a great time with an American family (stopped for swim in caves and up to Anacapri). Could spend weeks on the Amalfi coast it is so wonderful.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Positano only or Capri too for itinerary?

Spent 7 nights in Positano and absolutely loved it. Trips to Ravello, Pompeii, Amalfi, walk of the gods just to mention a few. Took 'speediboat' to Capri for day trip and had a great time with an American family (stopped for swim in caves and up to Anacapri). Could spend weeks on the Amalfi coast it is so wonderful.

Positano, Italy
Level Contributor
96 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Positano only or Capri too for itinerary?

Hi

In my experience 2 nights is a good stay in Capri. You can see the "real" Capri away from the tourist itineraries and enjoy the very different and colorful Amafi Coast the rest of your stay. I used Francesco Carpegna (Frank)as a guide for both locations. Unbelievable knowledge of everything!