We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ferry Arrival, how to get to Hotel Pasitea and Il Fornillo

Which Positano hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto
Level Contributor
507 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Ferry Arrival, how to get to Hotel Pasitea and Il Fornillo

Hello,

Our plan is to spend 5 days in Positano. We will arrive by ferry. How can we find out how to walk/climb from the dock to our Hotel Pasitea? Also what is the climb down to Il Fornillo beach like? How long would it take from our hotel?

Thank you.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
692 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ferry Arrival, how to get to Hotel Pasitea and Il Fornillo

Not sure if you are arriving with luggage as well. The walk/climb from the pier to Hotel Pasitea is quite a hike.....probably 30 minutes. It is a steep walk even without luggage.

http://g.co/maps/zs6se

This link to googlemap maps out the walk form the pier (A) to the hotel (C). At (B)...the intersection of Via dei Mulini and Via Cristoforo Columbo there is a local bus that circles the town of Positano. It costs a couple of euros. There is a bus stop directly in front of Hotel Pasitea. The walk between the pier and where the bus picks up is pedestrian only. You meander through sidewalks and streets with vendors....through the church piazza...through more sidewalks and streets with shops and vendors before you reach the bus stop area. There are also taxis stationed here. I am only guessing...but there probably are porters at the pier to meet the ferries that could assist you in getting your luggage either to the bus stop or to your hotel.

The climb down to il Fornilla beach is probably 15/20 minutes...using a combination of the main street (Via Pasitea) and stairs. I seem to recall that there is signage to direct you to the beach using the steps. We have stayed at the Hotel Pasitea a couple of times and really enjoyed the hotel and its location. The views are incredible from the terraces. Pick up some sandwiches or salads from one of the markets and enjoy an afternoon lunch or early appetizers before dinner while sitting on the terrace and enjoying a bottle of wine.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
38,737 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Ferry Arrival, how to get to Hotel Pasitea and Il Fornillo

You can reach Il Fornillo from the main beach. Facing the beach, to your right you will see there is a pathway that begins right near the water - just ask anyone, they will point you to it. It is a nice gentle path that will take you along the water (just slightly above it) and lead you to Il Fornillo. It is easier than climbing down all the steps from Viale Pasitea. You could take the bus from in front of your hotel all the way down to the last stop, where the pedestrian only part of the village begins that leads to the sea/beach.

Toronto
Level Contributor
507 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ferry Arrival, how to get to Hotel Pasitea and Il Fornillo

Thank you both, this is very helpful!

So, Pghguy, we'll be able to hire a porter to carry our luggage and then walk up ourselves? Is there not a more direct route to walk than that path you showed on the map, if we don't take a bus?

I've heard there are small cliffs to jump off at Il Fornillo. Are there loungers and umbrellas close to there? That's where my kids will want to be the whole time we're here.

Thanks again.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
38,737 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Ferry Arrival, how to get to Hotel Pasitea and Il Fornillo

I don't recall small cliffs to jump off and I've been there many times - maybe because I wasn't looking for them, I don't know but it is a small beach so I don't know how I would have missed them.

Yes, you can hire loungers - and there are some nice places to have snacks and the nice restaurant at the Hotel Pupetto.

Texas
Level Contributor
1,458 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ferry Arrival, how to get to Hotel Pasitea and Il Fornillo

When we arrived last summer, we found you had to book porters in advance - I thought I remembered them just waiting there, but they weren't that day:-)

Fornilo is nice - you can rent loungers as always on these beaches. But our kids much prefer (for jumping off the rocks as well as otherwise) going by shuttle boat to one of the many little coves around there. We love those too, so definitely think of that.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
692 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ferry Arrival, how to get to Hotel Pasitea and Il Fornillo

There is no more direct route to the hotel. Positano is essentially one main street, Via Pasitea, that snakes through the town. You can cut off some of the distance by using the stairway system, but taking the stairs doesn't make it easier...in fact, from a cardio workout perspective....taking the steps is quite a workout. If using the stairs, I typically have to stop and catch my breath on climbs up from the town centre. The route I mapped out for you is the walking map. Via Pasitea is a one way road running down from the hilltop to the beach area. The bus would pick you up on Via Mulini and then proceed out Via Cristoforo Columbo and circle around the outskirts of Positano before entering back on Via Pasitea.

We seldom take the bus....although having it available is comforting. We enjoy the walk into town and the return walk after dinner. We seldom use the steps....but choose to use the street for a more leisurely walk.

I have never arrived with luggage at the pier...so not sure how the porter system works....I have seen them waiting at the pier for the ferries and just figured they were like taxis, waiting for a fare. The hotel could probably inform you on how to arrange for porters or even if it is necessary to prearrange.

I also have not seen the cliffs in the il fornilla beach area....but have seen pictures of youths jumping from boulders. So maybe one of the smaller coves. As stated, there are umbrellas, lounges, restaurant, bar on the beach.

Toronto
Level Contributor
507 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ferry Arrival, how to get to Hotel Pasitea and Il Fornillo

Thank you all!!!

I really appreciate your advice and will proceed accordingly.

J-MOT

Australia
Level Contributor
2,364 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ferry Arrival, how to get to Hotel Pasitea and Il Fornillo

Hi

I would think think that if you ask your hotel they will make sure that there is a porter for the bags. They have always been there whenever we arrived, but I think sometimes they are actually delivering luggage up the hill or fetching it down for people to catch the ferry. So better to be organised I would think.

In fact I will do the same this year, as I know I cant possibly get it up those 45 staris from the beach, specially with lots of tourists around. Then you have the long slope to walk up before you get to the town square and the bus or taxi.

Porters are the way to go. It used to be 7euro a bag, might have gone up but worth every penny, believe me.

Janderra

Toronto
Level Contributor
507 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ferry Arrival, how to get to Hotel Pasitea and Il Fornillo

Thank you Janderra!

10. Re: Ferry Arrival, how to get to Hotel Pasitea and Il Fornillo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 17:16