We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel between Salerno train station and Positano

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
15 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Travel between Salerno train station and Positano

I know that there is a bus service between Salerno train station and Positano. What is the website for the timetable of this service from 25th to 28th May 21012. A prompt reply would be really appreciated. Thanks. Lawrence.

Mentioned in this post
Salerno
Salerno
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Positano
Positano
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Brentwood, United...
Level Contributor
2,611 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel between Salerno train station and Positano

Two buses required Salerno to Amalfi Amalfi to Postitano

Timetables

sitabus.it/sitabus/…QUADROXV.pdf

Mentioned in this post
Salerno
Salerno
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Amalfi
Amalfi
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel between Salerno train station and Positano

L2R - those "QuadroXYZ" schedules aren't reliable any more!

You might note reply #3 in this, re their new website.... seemingly the only place where update timetable are on offer...

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g187782-i162-k51…

For example, there's already been a new version for the "AMALFI - POSITANO - SORRENTO" route.... valid between April 2nd and June 10th:

sitasudtrasporti.it/public/…5070.pdf

Peter

Mentioned in this post
Amalfi
Amalfi
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Positano
Positano
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Sorrento
Sorrento
Province of Naples, Italy
Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel between Salerno train station and Positano

Not sure if there's been any change, but this is the new link for the Salerno to Amalfi timetable...

sitasudtrasporti.it/public/…5120.pdf

Peter

Mentioned in this post
Salerno
Salerno
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Amalfi
Amalfi
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Brentwood, United...
Level Contributor
2,611 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel between Salerno train station and Positano

Thanks for the correction I was just pointing out that two buses were involved in this journey a fact which often sems to be avoided.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel between Salerno train station and Positano

Indeed, although not a long way, it's a slow old ride... plus the change of bus in Amalfi....

www.pbase.com/isolaverde/image/132567370

Lawrence - if your times fit, it might be more fun by sea?

You should perhaps check, but most of these should be running...

coopsantandrea.com/it/…

Not at all far from the station to their quay in the yacht marina...

www.pbase.com/isolaverde/image/132810174

Peter

Edited: 17 April 2012, 16:27
Mentioned in this post
Amalfi
Amalfi
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
15 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel between Salerno train station and Positano

To Love2roam of UK

Thanks for your advice on the change of bus at Amalfi to get to Positano.

From Lawrence.

Mentioned in this post
Amalfi
Amalfi
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Positano
Positano
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
15 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel between Salerno train station and Positano

Hi Peter

Thanks so much for all the info on the bus and ferry services...and the aerial photo of Salerno, thats very helpful indeed. Looked up all the links...pity about the Italian websites.

My problem is the bus link from Positano to Amalfi,then onwards to Salerno train station for a fast rail journey to Rome. About 4 hours incl waiting for the bus and train! You are right about the long slow ride. To use the ferry service is definitely a good alternative...but that will depend on the weather at the time?!

I do have time limit...thats leaving Positano in the morning so to arrive in Rome that afternoon. I would also prefer to pre book the train online as I did for Venice to Florence to Salerno.

There is the possibility of a road trip from Positano to Naples,where I can get into Rome by fast train. I think thats a long slow journey too?!

I would like your thoughts on that.

Thanks.

Lawrence.

Mentioned in this post
Salerno
Salerno
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Positano
Positano
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Amalfi
Amalfi
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
Naples
Naples
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
43,644 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel between Salerno train station and Positano

From Positano, you would get the bus to Sorrento and from Sorrento, the local train (Circumvesuviana) to Naples, which takes about anywhere from 45-60 minutes (depending on whether you get the express) to Naples.

The issue with this option is the bus is sometimes already packed as it arrives in Positano from Amalfi, but if you are leaving early enough in the day and want to use this route, go to the La Sponda bus stop in Positano (there are two). This stop is the first one the bus will arrive at from Amalfi and you will have a much better chance of getting on the bus. And, at the time of the year, early in the morning, your chances are much better than other times.

The bus takes about 45 minutes to Sorrento (give or take depending on traffic and sometimes less).

All things considered, I would opt - if it is running - to grab the ferry to Salerno.

There is, of course, the more pricey choice (which is what I do because I really just like a smooth transfer) is a private car service; but, it is pricey - probably about 100 euros to Naples from Positano. Not sure what this season's prices are plus the rising gas prices.

Hopefully, the ferry will be running.

Mentioned in this post
Positano
Positano
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Sorrento
Sorrento
Naples
Naples
Amalfi
Amalfi
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Ristorante La Sponda
Ristorante La Sponda
725 Reviews
Positano, Italy
Salerno
Salerno
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
15 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travel between Salerno train station and Positano

To MomCat1992

Thanks for the quick response.

Your made some good comments on my considering to take public transport by road from Positano to Rome via Sorrento and Naples.

Let say I had enough of the buses and trains...and the ferries werent running,,,,the thought of a "smooth transfer" would be very tempting!

Which private car service did you use? Would you recommend it? Did you pre book that online? Will the hotel have this kind of link?

Really appreciate your reply.

Lawrence.

Mentioned in this post
Positano
Positano
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Sorrento
Sorrento
Naples
Naples
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
43,644 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Travel between Salerno train station and Positano

I have been using, happily, the same car service for a number of years. I can't speak to any others because I have always used just this one. Safe (and pleasant/nice) driver, great cars, always prompt. Can't ask for more.

Guemar Travel. email and ask whatever you want to know; they respond very quickly to emails: info@guemartravel.com

I book via email and I also like that there is no reason to pre-pay. I have used them mostly Positano to Naples and vice versa and one time, Positano to Rome - all excellent.

While in Positano - do take the beautiful pathway over to the smaller beach, Il Fornillo. Anyone there will know how to point you in the direction - it takes about 10 minutes to walk, longer if you want to stop and gawk at the beauty and the sea right below you (you are not high high up here at all, it is just a walkable path a bit above sea level); hardly any people there and its nice to get away from the crowds. Good restaurant with decent prices at the Hotel Pupetto, which you will find when you reach Il Fornillo.

Which hotel are you staying? That may affect the bus stop and also how best to arrive in Positano.

Edited: 18 April 2012, 01:31
Mentioned in this post
Guemar Travel
Guemar Travel
618 Reviews
Sorrento, Italy
Positano
Positano
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Naples
Naples