We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

stairs to fornillo beach

Which Positano hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
canada west coast
Level Contributor
71 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
stairs to fornillo beach

We plan to take the bus from Sorrento and would like to walk down the steps to Fornillo Beach, have lunch at Puppeto's (?) and then walk through to Positano proper for the ferry back to Sorrento.

2 Questions...where do we find the stairs after getting off the bus?

...is there a level path from the beach into the town?

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
283 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: stairs to fornillo beach

Hello! Jet lag still. Back from Amalfi Coast! Our home base was Positano (6 nights), Buca di Baco Hotel. We (party of 3) had a provate driver from Rome to Positano. It is not as expensive as one thinks. After I did the math and convenience factor was like a built in tour too!. Don't worry you can not really get loss in Positano. Where the bus (and all cars stop-no cars after a certain point) the town proper is down hill. Only one real staircase, except by the church where the stairs splits but leads you to the water, beach and all boats etc.

Ha! I don't know what you you mean by level? There are stairs and you either go up or down by the water from the town. Bring sturdy shoes and prepare for steps! At least, you can shop while going up/down to break up the steps and cool off in air-con stores, galleries.

Edited: 07 July 2012, 14:15
Texas
Level Contributor
1,459 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: stairs to fornillo beach

Your plan sounds fun! Get off the SITA at the first positano stop. Turn down the Positano internal road (one way) and follow it down - you will have beautiful views. Just after you see the internal bus stop that is a grotto/shrine, there will be a pedestrian path off to your right - I think it's signed Fornillo beach. Just follow that all the way down and it brings you to the back of the Puppetto. Also lots of nice views and a sense of how Positano works along all these pedestrian paths. The path from Fornillo to the main beach is flat and very beautiful too.

We were staying at a hotel on the internal road last year and we did the veyr same thing on our first afternoon - walked down to Fornillo and had a lovely lunch at the Pupetto before we went along to the main beach. Enjoy!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,602 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: stairs to fornillo beach

If you want to see more of Positano - the pedestrian only part which takes you past shops, galleries, etc to the beach, I would suggest you get off the SITA bus at the second stop in Positano - the La Sponda stop. From there it is about a 10 minute walk down through this part of the village.

When you reach the beach, you go to your right and if you don't see the sign, just ask someone to point you to the walkway to Il Fornillo. Ten minutes along the beautiful pathway and you will reach Pupetto.

After, you can walk back along that pathway to reach the dock for the boat.

I would personally choose this way as the steps can be intense and this route gives you an opportunity to see more of the village with less steps.

Don't know when you are going, but if it is in summer, the heat can also be a factor when dealing with the steps you would take if you went with getting off at the first stop.

canada west coast
Level Contributor
71 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: stairs to fornillo beach

Thank you all for the suggestions. Texas, thank you for the hint about the grotto....with that in mind, I google-mapped it and now I know where the stairs start! You mentioned an "internal bus"....does this connect with the SITA bus at the top of the town? Any links to a website for it?

Positano
Destination Expert
for Positano
Level Contributor
994 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: stairs to fornillo beach

http://www.flaviogioia.com/index.php?sez=Orario+Positano+-+Montepertuso+-+Nocelle&id_categoria=16&id_sezione=8&p=dx

Get any bus going downhill from the front of the Tabacchi store at Chiesa Nuova (first stop). Tell the driver to let you off at the Grotta. Just don't get here at midday and be prepared for 500 odd steps!

canada west coast
Level Contributor
71 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: stairs to fornillo beach

Thank you Rosa for the info.......I presume we dont need a ticket for the internal bus, just pay the driver? Do they run fairly often,...I wasn't able to get much info from the website. We should be arriving about 10 a.m.

Positano
Destination Expert
for Positano
Level Contributor
994 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: stairs to fornillo beach

You can buy tickets from the driver. They cost a little less if you buy them at the bar or Tabbacchi. There will be one at around 10:15. But as I said, catch any bus going downhill. They will all go past the Grotta.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,602 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: stairs to fornillo beach

The price was 1,30 euros when I was there in October - don't know if the price went up.

9. Re: stairs to fornillo beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 July 2013, 05:16