We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

positano to rome, go via salerno or naples?

Level Contributor
85 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
positano to rome, go via salerno or naples?

We're staying in Positano for 4 nights and then heading back to Rome. Obviously I need to grab the high speed train back to Rome but is it easier to get to Salerno and grab or Naples from Positano?

What is the best / fastest way to get to each place? I don't mind spending a few bucks as it's my anniversary but I'd rather not spend a fortune. If my only option is a private transfer than I guess it is what it is!

Being that we only have 2 nights in Rome and I love that city, I want to get an early start out of the Amalfi Coast and be in Rome by 1230, 1pm ish.

Just debating if I should book my rail tickets from Salerno or Naples.

Thanks for the info, much appreciated.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
31,834 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: positano to rome, go via salerno or naples?

Public transport to either Naples or Salerno requires a transport change, Sorrento to Naples train www.vesuviana.it or change of bus at Amalfi for Salerno

Amalfi coast buses

Enter 08 for the hour of the train departure to Rome www.trenitalia.it/homepage_en.html

Private transfer cost about 100 euro

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,151 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: positano to rome, go via salerno or naples?

A taxi from Positano will run about 100-110 euros...that is the fastest way to get to Naples where you can catch the fast train. Didn't do the Salerno connection...no idea. Good luck...

Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
Level Contributor
8,828 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: positano to rome, go via salerno or naples?

If you don't mind paying about 120 Euros for a private transfer, you should go to NAPOLI CENTRALE, where there are HOURLY Frecciarossa high-speed trains to Roma Termini (as well as HOURLY cheaper and slower Intercity trains)

If you want to SAVE MONEY, and are travelling between APRIL and OCTOBER, take the Cooperativa Sant'Andrea FERRY BOAT to SALERNO-CONCORDIA DOCK (70 minutes; 12 Euros; FIRST boat at 10:00 a.m.), WALK 800 meters (10 minutes) to the Salerno station, then take a Frecciarossa, Eurostar OR Intercity train direct to Roma Termini. There are fewer train choices from Salerno to Rome than from Naples. The train from Salerno to Rome costs only 3 Euros more than from Naples.

BEWARE: The ferry boat is subject to CANCELLATION during bad weather.

So, by travelling via SALERNO with public transportation, you can SAVE about 105 Euros (or 90 Euros for two people), versus a private transfer to either Naples or Salerno.

NOTE: Taking the year-round SITA bus from Positano to Salerno will take over two hours, plus the bus connection in Amalfi, so it's not very fast). Similarly, taking public transportation from Positano to Naples (SITA bus to Sorrento; Circumvesuviana train to Napoli Centrale) will also take two hours, plus the connection time in Sorrento.

Still have questions?Post your own question so other travellers can help.
Ask a question
4. Re: positano to rome, go via salerno or naples?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 July 2013, 10:16