We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

again with the car!

Which Positano hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
15,846 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
again with the car!

just when i thought it was safe to declare victory on the "no car on the Amalfi Coast" issue, Mr S has come up with a new twist (he is nothing if not persistent!) he now wonders if it is possible to rent a car for a day from Positano or the surrounding, to "do the drive" of the Amalfi Coast. This would be in late September.

i found this: http://www.hirecarpositano.com/ and wonder if anyone has had experience with them?

Grazie

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,543 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: again with the car!

I think he has visions of zipping along in a really nifty Italian made car along those curves with the wind in your hair(s) - in truth, he'll likely find it frustrating and not what he imagines it might be - Maybe you all should go in January or February - then he could get the full throttle feeling of driving that wonderful drive.

Here's my suggestion - and, no, I don't know that company as I never looked for a car while there; hopefully someone will come along who can give you some info about them either way.

But, if you can make a reservation for a car for one of the days you are there - one you don't have to pay for in advance - then when you get there and see what it's like, you can decide then.

Now, that may not be possible because of any number of reasons. But, I have a sneaky suspicion this issue is not going away anytime soon so, maybe he should rent one for a day and give it a go - maybe rent it a day or two after you arrive. If he loves it, great; if not, turn the car back in.

Good luck with this....

United States
Level Contributor
9,596 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: again with the car!

This is what the roads look like most of the time. There is no "zipping".

alwaysonefootoutthedoor.com/europe/italy/cam…

TAB

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,543 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: again with the car!

I did zip - way out of season though and it was a blast. But, obviously, not right on the curves.

I identify with your husband because I absolutely love this type of road and I had driven it out of season and loved it and that was why we rented a car a few years ago for the end of September and ended up hating the experience. When I had done it out of season, there were no tour buses clogging up the road, etc.

Its like apples and oranges. But, whichever decision you end up making, it's ultimately going to be just fine and you are going to have a wonderful holiday - of that, I am certain.

United States
Level Contributor
9,596 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: again with the car!

My photo was taken in late September, the same time as the op is traveling. It is representative of the traffic I saw every day going past my apartment.

TAB

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
15,846 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: again with the car!

TAB, loved the photo! Exactly what I thought.

Yes momcat, he imagines flying down the coast looking cool (oh wait, that's MY fantasy!).

so after a phone conversation with my girlfriend, we have decided to let the guys do their " Amalfi-coast-road-trip-for-a-day-without-us-screeching-from-the-backseat" thing by themselves, and we'll go shopping! (even tho i really don't love to shop)

So now it's out of my hands, and I hope never to have to post about it again! (not to be confused with "where to get rid of the car," of course! Lol)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,543 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: again with the car!

I know - that is how it was when I was there in late September which is why I said it was a miserable time to drive it.

My reference to zipping around had to do with an idea one has in their mind about the AC until they have gone and/or have seen photos of it in high season. I would never drive there again at that time of year but the OP's husband really wants to have a car so, he can maybe give it a try but I doubt it will be pleasurable at all - as evidenced by your photo.

It WAS a lot of fun when I drove it out of season - hardly any cars and barely a tour bus. I'm getting that you didn't read my post.

Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
386 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: again with the car!

We spent a week on the coast mid September this past year and loved it.

We had a a Fiat 500 (perfect car for these roads) and only encountered the type of road block shown in the previous posters photo on one occassion.

Whilst it is not the sort of road you can enjoy driving ala "Top Gear" (go to the Stelvio Pass for that!!!), with a bit of common sense and care it is well worth the experience.

My advice is to:-

* Don't get flustered by aggressive drivers

* Be courteous and pull over in the bypass areas if traffic banks up - they will thank you for it

* Don't drive in obvoius peak hours (eg when people go to work or when dleiveries are being made in the mornings)

* Take a very good up to date GPS with you (it anticipates the corners coming up and give you advance warning)

* Use your co-driver/partner as a lookout around bends

* Don't expect to find a car parking spot first time around

* Always look out for the convex(?) mirrors on bends - they are there for a reason

* Look out for traffic control lights

And don't forget to visit Ravello which is a beautiful spot (plenty f car parking there) glorious views and the drive up fromt he coast now has a good traffic light system to control traffic

8. Re: again with the car!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 January 2014, 05:17