We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Has anyone used Amalfi Coast Yacht to charter for the day?

seattle
Level Contributor
3 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Has anyone used Amalfi Coast Yacht to charter for the day?

Hi,

My husband and I are going to Italy in July and are talking to Amalfi Coast Yacht to charter a boat for the day. Does anyone have any feedback on them? would you suggest using them?

Thanks,

Jacqueline

Portland, OR
Destination Expert
for Positano
Level Contributor
6,459 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Has anyone used Amalfi Coast Yacht to charter for the day?

Here is a review from 2010:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g194863-i286-k3893…

Essex
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Has anyone used Amalfi Coast Yacht to charter for the day?

Hi there,

We recently chartered a yacht from amalficoastyacht.com for the day in August 2013. We booked the 40 foot Crowne. You can be collected from any port along the Amalfi coast to suit you. We wanted to be picked up from Salerno and met the boat for 9:30AM. The company ask you beforehand what you ideally want to get out of the day & publish itinerary suggestions beforehand.

The boat itself is stunning. Lot's of room to sunbathe at the back or up front, or you can just choose to sit and watch the view with cold drinks supplied free by the captain. Toilet & changing facilities below deck. There were 4 of us & towels provided.

We toured the coast up past Amalfi, Ravello, Positano etc, stopping off at two of the grottos along the way. The captain points out all the interesting places & gets you really close up to the rocks in the grottos. He also suggests where to stop for a swim, which we did at 3 separate locatons.

We chose to have lunch at a seaside restaurant in Capri , so the captain phones ahead to reserve a table. The restaurant itself overlooked all the mega yachts moored offshore & we spent 2 hours there before getting back on the boat to go round the entire island & head back (not before another swim stop!). We disembarked Salerno at 6PM.

A truly memorable experience on a beautiful boat. Drinks, towels included with toilet and changing facilities all on board. Our English speaking Captain was a fantastic host and looked after us really well. Our 2 teenage sons are still talking about the trip a week later!

Allow for diesel charges to be +30% on top of the rental charge (depending on where you start / finish). I found this professional company to be 100% upfront on the total cost before you book. If you choose to stay at a top hotel for one night in say Positano, you are paying big prices anyway & the views you get from the boat over an entire day beat any hotel by some margin. If you can afford to - just do it !!

selby n yorks...
Level Contributor
93 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Has anyone used Amalfi Coast Yacht to charter for the day?

sounds amazing could i ask what you paid for this ?

Essex
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Has anyone used Amalfi Coast Yacht to charter for the day?

Euro 900 + 300 for fuel. Not cheap granted but you wont forget it! The cheapest boat (also 40 feet) was EUR 750 + fuel cheers

Edited: 11 August 2013, 18:21
Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
13 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Has anyone used Amalfi Coast Yacht to charter for the day?

Would you recommend this day charter for a senior couple? I.e., is seating comfortable, boarding yacht relatively easy, and easy access to rest rooms?

Essex
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Has anyone used Amalfi Coast Yacht to charter for the day?

Hi,

It is definitely the best way to see the coastline & the boat is very comfortable. However it is relatively small when compared to the local ferries which follow the coast from Salerno up to Capri. The boat will bob about when not moving quickly. .

Another option is you share a larger charter / try the ferry first..

dallas
Level Contributor
482 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Has anyone used Amalfi Coast Yacht to charter for the day?

sorry that I haven't responded on this thread until now..............just returned from our vacation.

I don't see really any comparison to the ferries save that some may sail similar itineraries but for me I would never do that ................ chartering a yacht allows you to do and go anywhere you want.

We used Alfonso Imperato for all our yacht charters - he is with a competitive firm - and he was fantastic / honest / is reputable / works with Hotel Santa Caterina (one of the best in Amalfi) etc

http://www.amalficharter.it/

he also has a wide variety of boats to chose from.

One word of caution on the firm you are looking at - presume you are dealing with Paolo Corsano? This guy aggressively tried to steal my business from Alfonso a few months back in questioning the authenticity of my arrangements with Alfonso - in retrospect the more I think about all this I actually think his behavior bordered on unethical and was certainly unprofessional.

We arranged through Alfonso the charter with Blu Cruising (his fee came out of the price so maybe we paid a commission - I really don't care)

http://www.blucruising.it/

He also arranged for a boat transfer from Naples to Positano (and an upgrade to the Alfamarine 47!!)

So a few tips:

- we were in a different level than the 1k but our charter was a flat fee and we did not need to pay for fuel

- size is relative - we chose the Fairline 59 because it is one of the only boats we found with a fly-bridge and it was awesome! I also wanted a full master so I could take a cat nap (which I did after lunch and full shower / bath to re-regroup) - our boat was every bit as perfect as we had hoped

- the sea was a LITTLE choppy at Capri but we just sailed on and swam near Nerano - another huge distinction with the ferries - you can swim in beautiful waters in delightful spots up and down the coast: - none of us was close to sea sick but that I am certain is up to the individual

- our itinerary for the day was: Positano > Il Galli > cruise the entire island of Capri > lunch in Nerano > slow crawl to Amalfi (said naps) > disembark Amalfi > continue to cruise the coast with more swimming > end up moored in front of Positano with a nice bottle of wine and a small antipasti plate - just a great day!

- know that a day on the sea while relaxing also wears on you - don't expect to do much for dinner that night

- if you do do this do not eat on capri - the cool folks leave capri and eat at nerano - the historical spot for trendy is Lo Scoglio (Johnny Depp etc lol) but as I mentioned in my Positano post this has apparently gone downhill as like many popular spots it has become way too touristy - DO go to La Conca Del Sogno - it is the hot spot today and arguably our best meal of our entire three week vacation (Luzern/Amalfi coast/Rome/Paris) - don't be a knucklehead like some of the negative reviews on here about it - invite your captain and hostess to join you - trust me it will make for a WAY better experience - again reference my post - the bill was very reasonable and I am sure that is partly due to Captain Jose being with us

- while I am 51 in the words of one of my doctors "your hip is 81" - I go in for full hip replacement on Sept 9 - I was able to embark / disembark / swim and get back on the boat with a bit of struggle but it wasn't an issue so I am sure if not saddled with something like that you guys should be fine....:)

All in all not only was the lunch a stand-out but that day in its entirety was one of the best of the entire vacation as well! We intend to do ten nights in Positano and will definitely use these guys again for our charters with no hesitation.

Feel free to PM me with any additional questions you may have....................

David

Edited: 13 August 2013, 22:48
8. Re: Has anyone used Amalfi Coast Yacht to charter for the day?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 August 2014, 05:17