We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Special treat on the Amalfi coast

London
Level Contributor
11 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Special treat on the Amalfi coast

My husband and I would like to treat ourselves after a hard couple of months and would like to go to the Amalfi coast. He proposed on the island of Capri but don't know the rest of the region. Any suggestions would be gratefully received. Best regions to stay in, best hotels in those regions, any recommendations would be great.

UK
Level Contributor
4,630 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Special treat on the Amalfi coast

Try the island of Ischia - same region - bigger island .... not as touristy as Capri. There's hot springs there too... spa treatments in some hotels....

J30
Europe
Level Contributor
707 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Special treat on the Amalfi coast

Stay in Positano, from there you can explore the surrounding coast: Vietri sul Mare, Amalfi Ravello , Pompeii, Sorrento, Capri.

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
47,557 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Special treat on the Amalfi coast

The best place to stay is Sorrento for transport to other places in the area, also a nice town in it own right, more to do than in the other places on the Amalfi coast.

California
Level Contributor
613 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Special treat on the Amalfi coast

I agree with J30. I think Capri is way overrated. Stay there for 2 or three nights at the most. Positano is incredible and the towns along the coast like Ravello are unreal. I don't get why people like Sorrento, but that is just a matter of preference. Visit Capri, but spend the majority of your time on the coast and Positano is a great place to base yourself out of.

Gulf Shores, Alabama
Destination Expert
for Gulf Shores
Level Contributor
1,045 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Special treat on the Amalfi coast

Count me as one who also thinks Capri is overrated but love Sorrento. I suggest using that as your home base because from there you can take the train to Pompeii (approv 45 minutes just outside Naples), ferry/hydrofoil to Capri, or SITA bus to Positano/Amalfi/Ravello/etc

6. Re: Special treat on the Amalfi coast

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 August 2009, 01:17