We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Information overload and decision fatique..

Which Positano hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney
Level Contributor
770 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Information overload and decision fatique..

I was thinking of leaving Chiusi around 12.30, getting to Naples around 4. Checking in luggage at left luggage then going for a bit of a walk for about two hours, getting pizza along way, then coming back to get Circumvesuviano and SITA to Positano.

Then after five nights at Positano I thought we'd stop at Pompeii, check luggage, spend a few hours, then continue onto Rome.

Pros: No backtracking - yay

Cons: At (particularly) Naples and Pompeii we will be somewhat rushed plus checking luggage in at left luggage is always kind of annoying.. we will be sightseeing without a home so will have valuables and passports etc on us.

Now I'm wondering if we should just get to Positano asap and then get the ferry back to Naples for a half day, then do Pompeii in the afternoon then head back to Positano.

Pros: Less stress, no checkign luggage at left luggage, more time in Naples, can we get the ferry there?

Cons: I hate backtracking!

So then I thought I could go with option 2 and then go via Salerno to offset the backtracking and see something different on the way (eg the Salerno to Positano ferry or the two busses). If we can get the ferry this might be nice, but then... we are actually staying at Fornillo so the bus is better? So many factors and so much information, and so many opinions, so many posts, I'm exhausted!

Any thoughts?

Sydney
Level Contributor
770 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Information overload and decision fatique..

Also option 1 does give us an extra full day by the beach etc.. so yes those two days are stressful, but they always would be since they are moving days.

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,133 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Information overload and decision fatique..

Are you hiking?

Sydney
Level Contributor
770 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Information overload and decision fatique..

nooooooo... three kids.. just hanging by the beach.

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,133 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Information overload and decision fatique..

When I'm hiking I hate to backtrack especially if it means giving up hard-earned altitude. But you are not climbing a mountain you are touring a country. :-)

Sydney
Level Contributor
770 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Information overload and decision fatique..

oh i see hehe.

Now i'm thinking we might just bloody drive Pienza to Positano and drop the car off at Sorrento the next morning. Three kids.. four connections.. urgh.. driving seems easiest? Pro: we can bring lots of wine from Tuscany!

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Information overload and decision fatique..

From previous threads here, I think you may find that the main hire firms have their offices in Naples and Salerno.... which might be quite handy either before or after going to Pompei, or even glorious Paestum?

http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde/paestum

Peter

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,543 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Information overload and decision fatique..

Are you staying right at Fornillo beach? If so, arriving via sea will be more convenient than arriving via bus.

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,133 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Information overload and decision fatique..

We drive everywhere. Particularly with rugrats in tow, it's a lot easier just to throw all your stuff in the car and hit the road.

Portland, OR
Destination Expert
for Positano
Level Contributor
6,134 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Information overload and decision fatique..

I think option 1 is your best bet. Leaves more time for beach/relaxing time in Positano. I would NOT want to drive anywhere near Naples/Sorrento/Positano/Amalfi Coast.

A twist to Option 1 is to pre-arrange for a driver to pick you up in Naples and drive you to Positano - it will cost a little more (maybe around $120 euro) but would be well worth it with kids, etc.

Sydney
Level Contributor
770 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Information overload and decision fatique..

Thank you for all your advice. We are staying on the beach at Fornillo, so the bus, with three kids and luggage would be a nightmare. We've decided to keep the car an extra day or two, drive down stopping on the way whenever the kids need to. My husband loves driving and always wanted to drive along the Amalfi coast but I had talked him out if it, so he's happy with this solution.

Then on the way out we'll get a private transfer (can anyone recommend one that has a minibus and a babyseat?) to Pompeii and then the train to Rome.