We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping policy for private drivers?

Boston
Level Contributor
6 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Tipping policy for private drivers?

Our hotel is arranging a private driver to pick us up in Naples and bring us to Positano. We were wondering what an appropriate tip would be for the driver. Any help would be appreciated.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Pompeii, Herculaneum, Naples
Level Contributor
8,883 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tipping policy for private drivers?

Hi mariagBoston

Tipping is not customary in Italy (just drop the word in the search bar and see what comes up - it makes for some interesting reading!).

However, I may be a sucker and flout the 'rules' but I like to tip as a thank you. I will give them 5 euros or even 10 if they make a diversion for me (like stopping somewhere so I can pick up some wine and groceries).

Hope this is helpful.

Boston
Level Contributor
6 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tipping policy for private drivers?

Thank you-it is!

United States
Level Contributor
9,771 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tipping policy for private drivers?

For our Naples to Sorrento trip (€80), we gave €10.

TAB

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
56,153 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tipping policy for private drivers?

None is really necessary. Even if you do, be reasonable.

Positano
Destination Expert
for Positano
Level Contributor
1,096 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tipping policy for private drivers?

If the hotel is organising the driver you can be sure that you are paying a surcharge which goes to the hotel. . Its not necessary to tip the driver. I only do it is the flight is very late to compensate a little for the time they wasted.

Boston
Level Contributor
6 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tipping policy for private drivers?

Thank you for all your advice!

7. Re: Tipping policy for private drivers?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 April 2014, 06:19