We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is the ferry ride from Naples to Positano bumpy?

Chicago, Illinois
3 posts
Save Topic
Is the ferry ride from Naples to Positano bumpy?

My husband and I are going from Rome to Positano at the end of May. We are thinking to take the ferry from the recommendations we can find online. But, I'll be 5 months pregnant by the time and I'm afraid the ferry ride would be too rude for me. Does anyone know if the ferry ride from Naples to Positano bumpy or not?

Portland, OR
Destination Expert
for Positano
Level Contributor
6,463 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is the ferry ride from Naples to Positano bumpy?

I don't know that there is a ferry running between Naples and Positano in late May. A better option would be to take the direct train from Rome to Salerno (arriving before the last ferry) and then take the ferry from Salerno to Positano (70 minutes and it stops in Amalfi on the way). I took the ferry from Positano to Amalfi and then Positano to Salerno last year and had no problem - and I have severe seasickness. I felt a little queasy when I was sitting outside, so I just went up the ladder and sat outside in the breeze. No problemo!

Australia
Destination Expert
for Pompeii, Herculaneum, Naples
Level Contributor
8,701 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is the ferry ride from Naples to Positano bumpy?

It depends on the weather and no one can predict that. If it's really going to be a problem, stick to land based travel. Train to Sorrento then either private transfer, taxi or the SITA bus.

Chicago, Illinois
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Is the ferry ride from Naples to Positano bumpy?

Thanks! Do you know if it's a small ferry or big one?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,128 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Is the ferry ride from Naples to Positano bumpy?

I don't know what you consider "big" and "small" - it doesn't take cars; it is passenger only and it is probably medium size because there is only a dock in Positano, not a harbor. Boats sometimes cannot come into Positano because it is just a dock.

I think you should wait for the day and if the weather is good and the sea is calm, take the ferry; if not, take land transportation.

See if you can google images of the ferry.

New York
Level Contributor
2,391 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is the ferry ride from Naples to Positano bumpy?

There is no boat from Naples to Positano at the end of May. There are currently 2 boats from Sorrento to Positano through the end of May and if I remember correctly not every day. I wouldn't recommend any buses because they could be jam packed and you might have to stand with people crushed against you. Sorry to say nobody will care if you are pregnant as the bus situation is pretty much "every man for himself" at that time of year. It's probably best to have a driver pick you up in Napkes and take you directly to your hotel. Yes it is pricey (110-120euro), but it is the easiest and most comfortable.

Edited: 16 May 2013, 03:04
Chicago, Illinois
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Is the ferry ride from Naples to Positano bumpy?

Thank you for all the info!

melbourne,aus
Level Contributor
981 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is the ferry ride from Naples to Positano bumpy?

Hi Miriam, I was thinking of catching the ferry from Positano to Naples in late September. Do they stop at a certain time of the year? I am having trouble finding a link?

New York
Level Contributor
2,391 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is the ferry ride from Naples to Positano bumpy?

Janet, I'm not sure about the specifics. I just know there is none at the end of May because I wanted to take it this year so I suspect there is none the end of September. If anything probably only the summer months from Naples to Positano.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is the ferry ride from Naples to Positano bumpy?

For the last two summers, the only "through" service on that route has run only from early July until the very start of September, as in perhaps the 2nd last year... as best I recall!

Otherwise you might stitch together one of the Naples/Sorrento hydrofoil services....

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g187782-i162-k62…

... and the (usually) twice-daily Alicost runs from Sorrento to Positano and Amalfi

http://www.alicost.it/content/?id=6

... but noting that this May those latter are only running on Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays and Sundays!

For a view of the sort of vessels that stop at Positano, try:

www.campaniameteo.it/immaginiOrarie.php?id=20

The largest of those are the size of the Alicost line's hydrofoil, Citta di Amalfi:

http://www.alicost.it/content/?id=12

Peter

http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde

10. Re: Is the ferry ride from Naples to Positano bumpy?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 May 2014, 07:19
Get answers to your questions about Positano
Recent Conversations