We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Renting a scooter

Huntington Beach...
Level Contributor
55 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Renting a scooter

My husband and I will be staying in Positano and Praiano for a week in June and are thinking about renting a scooter for 3-5 days. I know traffic is horrendous along the Amalfi coast but am wondering if the scooter would be a good option for day touring and short trips? Would there be places to park it safely? Are we nuts to even consider this option? I would really appreciate some input from someone who has rented a scooter here. Thanks so much.

Virginia
Level Contributor
3,328 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Renting a scooter

Do you have experience driving a scooter, especially on curvy roads? The driving conditions are pretty intense. Buses and cars often have to back up inches at a time to pass each other. There are plenty of overly confident (daredevil) drivers who pass no matter what.

The buses can be miserably packed, and I imagine the ferries are sometimes as well, but describe where it is you plan to go, and posters can help you formulate a plan. The good news is there are some amazing hiking trails.

New York
Level Contributor
2,391 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Renting a scooter

IMO you're taking your life into your hands (literally) and would be a huge mistake.

Huntington Beach...
Level Contributor
55 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Renting a scooter

We have experience riding our motorcycle in Calif. but I've read that the roads are curved

and traffic is crazy in Southern Italy. We wanted to ride from Praiano to Pasteum on the scooter, thinking it would be less crowded that far south.

New York
Level Contributor
2,391 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Renting a scooter

It's not so much the traffic as the really curvy, windy, one lane road. You will be dealing with buses, cars, and other scooters all trying to navigate. See how you feel when you arrive, but unless you're experienced with these type of roads it is not advisable. As LuvGoin wrote there are many daredevil type drivers who pass no matter what so that could be quite intimidating on these type roads.

Huntington Beach...
Level Contributor
55 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Renting a scooter

I'm having computer issues so I apologize if I posted this twice. Anyway, thanks for the weighing in on this.

We're going to wait until we get there to see the roads and traffic before making a decision. in the

meantime, I'm checking into private drivers and alternate means of getting around.

Virginia
Level Contributor
3,328 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Renting a scooter

You would not want to be on a scooter that long anyway. The roads closer to the mainland are not that much less hairy or crowded.

Your best bet is to take a bus to Salerno (or ferry, from Positano) and train or bus to Paestum. It is nice to have the ride for rest and recuperation after walking all day at the site. good luck!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,128 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Renting a scooter

You are from California - I used to live there and also up near Santa Cruz and drove Highway 1 a lot through Big Sur - this is much more intense that that drive which you may have done. As noted, it is not so much the drive but the traffic and the driving style, as it were. There's a certain way the scooters/motorbikes are driven that is just different than here - and, they do come up behind and around you and then zip past you.

It is a good idea to see the lay of the land first to decide if you want to give it a whirl.

In any case, have a good time - it is beautiful beyond words in that area.

K&E
Boston MA
Level Contributor
23 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Renting a scooter

My husband and I rented a scooter for two days while staying in Positano last September. He has ridden motorcycles for many years when he was young and was so excited to rent one. I was terrified!!! I did it anyway and had a wonderful time....we left very early in the morning and made sure to travel to more remote, quiet places. Yes, it was very curvy and scary (for me) but made an amazing memory together!!! It was wonderful to have some freedom from the bus schedule and were able to go at our own pace, stopping to enjoy amazing scenery. Our host Davide at Rifugio degli dei made the arrangements for us and it was delivered to our door! It really was exhilarating and fun!

Huntington Beach...
Level Contributor
55 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Renting a scooter

Thanks for your comments. We know it's going to be a challenge and we always want to be safe when we

ride so we will look over the situation before we decide about using the scooter for sightseeing. We leave this weekend on our adventure and will post about our experiences.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
183 posts
238 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Renting a scooter

How was the scooter ride? I am considering a rental. Thanks

Get answers to your questions about Positano
Recent Conversations