We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rome to Naples and on from there - Positano

new york
Level Contributor
380 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Rome to Naples and on from there - Positano

My family of 4 is flying into the Rome Flumicino airport and we are planning to take the train to Naples. I know there is a train from the airport to Roma termini where we can catch the train to Naples but do you think it is easier to just take a taxi. How much is the taxi from the airport and how long does the train take as opposed to a taxi. Thank you.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
85,461 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rome to Naples and on from there - Positano

Taxi from FCO to central Rome (including Termini) has a fixed price of €48 and will take 45-60 minutes. The train costs €14 per person, runs every 30 minutes, and takes 32 minutes.

In my opinion, you would do best to go to the train station at FCO and buy tickets from there to Naples.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
40,079 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Rome to Naples and on from there - Positano

Personally, I would take the taxi (48 euros)- it is actually a wee bit cheaper with four people and I have always been in Rome within 45 minutes, the latest - though traffic can certainly impact how long the taxi will take. The Leonardo Express (the train from FCO to Termini) would be a total of 56 euros. It just depends on which you prefer.

Your train from Termini to Napoli Centrale will then take 70 minutes (fast and furious - it is great!) - if you choose the fast train.

How do you plan to get to Positano from Naples? There are various ways.

Portland, OR
Destination Expert
for Positano
Level Contributor
6,290 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rome to Naples and on from there - Positano

I agree - take a taxi from FCO to the train station. If your ultimate destination is Positano, a better option, (depending on the arrival time of your flight and the time of year you are traveling) is to take a direct train from Termini to Salerno, walk the short distance to the dock and take a ferry from Salerno to Positano. It is a beautiful way to see the Amalfi Coast and arrive in Positano.

new york
Level Contributor
380 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Rome to Naples and on from there - Positano

Well I am now thinking it makes sense to take a taxi from fco to the train station. We will the catch the fast train to Naples. In Naples we are planning on renting a car to go to Positano and explore the coast. We plan on driving to Amalfi,ravello , minori etc. Any other Little towns you suggest we explore? We have three days In that area. What do you think

Of the driving as opposed to getting a driver. We like to explore on our own. We will be there the end of september. thanks for your input.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
40,079 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Rome to Naples and on from there - Positano

Ack. Driving in Naples - be sure to read up on rules/regulations re: driving in the cities/towns - ZTLzones, etc - if you drive into restricted areas, your license will be photographed and you will receive fine(s) in the mail.

Here's some info and photos of the signs:

roninrome.com/transportation/driving-italy

(not just about Rome)

Be sure to get the International Driver's Permit - legally required in Italy; you get it at AAA offices.

It will be packed when you are there - (season ends the end of October; Sept is very popular) and driving won't be fun at all with all the traffic - parking is nearly non-existant and extremely expensive. Of course, it is up to you - but, last time I did it was in late September (a number of years ago) and it was a misery - when we finally got to Positano, we parked and just left it for the week until we left the area.

Driving in Naples is probably an even bigger challenge than the winding Amalfi Coast drive - it is pure craziness - nothing like anywhere I have seen and I've been to Athens....

As long as you are prepared for what driving means there - (which is really fun in off season by the way) - then, you won't be surprised; well, you will but hopefully, not as much as you would be if not forewarned.

www.positano.com has info about the villages on the AC but for three short days - I'd guess you probably want to spend some relaxing time - I'd probably visit Amalfi and Ravello and just enjoy the village I'm in, swim, lay out on the beach, wander around - It will go by in a blink of an eye.

new york
Level Contributor
380 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Rome to Naples and on from there - Positano

Wow thanks for the info. We don't want to relax actually we rather explore the towns each day. How would we do this if we did drive. I want to go to amalfi ravello praiano miori minori and explore positano of course. I figure thats about 3 days. The only other choice would be hire a driver. I just dont know what to do.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
40,079 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Rome to Naples and on from there - Positano

Amalfi, Ravello and Positano are the largest of the villages and they are small. The others won't take very much time - at all. You could drive but you will spend time trying to find parking - street parking that time of year is really really hard to come by, if you find it all. There are just a few parking lots in Amalfi, Positano, Ravello - walking them is the way to visit them. Ravello is completely pedestrian only, Amalfi has one narrow road that runs through the heart of the village and the main part of Positano is all pedestrian.

Personally, having done it a number of times, I stick to the ferries now. There is a ferry between Amalfi and Positano and since Ravello is high above the sea, there is a bus from Amalfi that takes about 20-30 minutes. Again parking will be difficult. It may sound like a broken record but you have to realize how small these places are and, as such, allows for very little parking.

I suggest maybe looking at photos of the villages as well as youtube videos of both driving on the coastal road and any videos of the villages that might give you an idea.

GAC
Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
Level Contributor
8,828 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rome to Naples and on from there - Positano

This is what I would do:

1. Don't drive yourself. Use public transportation. Driving is very stressful, parking is extraordinarily difficult and very expensive as well.

2. From Roma FCO Airport to Roma Termini Station, the nonstop Trenitalia airport train costs a whopping 14 Euros per person, BUT children up to the age of 12 years, 0 days travel FREE with a paying adult passenger. Otherwise, you can take one of FOUR airport BUS operators for as little as 4 Euros per person (16 Euros for a party of four, versus 48 Euros for a taxi). The bus does take about twice the amount of time (60 minutes) as the airport train, so be forewarned!

3. From Roma Termini train station, take a fast Trenitalia train DIRECT to Salerno (NOT NOT Naples).

4. Take the Cooperativa Sant'Andrea ferry boat from Salerno-Concordia Dock to Positano (you must walk 800 meters from the Salerno train station to the boat dock)

5. In Positano, take the SITA buses and/or ferry boats/hydrofoils to explore the Amalfi Coast (from Sorrento to Salerno, including Ravello). Take the boat where possible/convenient.

www.trenitalia.it

www.sitasudtrasporti.it

www.coopsantandrea.it

www.alicost.it

Airport bus operators:

www.terravision.eu

www.sitbusshuttle.it

www.atral-lazio.com

www.tambus.it

Portland, OR
Destination Expert
for Positano
Level Contributor
6,290 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rome to Naples and on from there - Positano

What MC and GAC said!

new york
Level Contributor
380 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Rome to Naples and on from there - Positano

Ok you are changing Our minds. Thank you so much for your Thoughts. Now what do you think if we just drive from Naples to positano and leave the car in positano while we are there and while we are in Capri. After Capri we can take the ferry back to positano and drive the car to vico equense which is where our next hotel is and then drop it off in Naples and train back to rome.