We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rome to Naples and on from there - Positano

new york
Level Contributor
380 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Rome to Naples and on from there - Positano

My family of 4 is flying into the Rome Flumicino airport and we are planning to take the train to Naples. I know there is a train from the airport to Roma termini where we can catch the train to Naples but do you think it is easier to just take a taxi. How much is the taxi from the airport and how long does the train take as opposed to a taxi. Thank you.

Orange County...
Destination Expert
for Amalfi Coast
Level Contributor
2,317 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Rome to Naples and on from there - Positano

Take a train to Salerno, not Naples. Pick up a car there if you must. If you taxi from FCO you can go to Tiburtina station in Rome to pick up Italotreno train to Salerno. I rode with them last year with a brief stop in Roma (no change) and it was lovely. Of course, Trenitalia can be lovely too and runs trains from Roma Termini station to Salerno as well. The fast train is the "Frecciarossa" which is nicer than the Intercity train (OK but not as comfy riding...actually can be darn rough.) Beware people wanting to "help" put your bags on the train for you. Most are perfectly harmless but they do want a tip. Had one once who wanted 5 euro PER bag. Ha.

Portland, OR
Destination Expert
for Positano
Level Contributor
6,493 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Rome to Naples and on from there - Positano

Why would you rent a car just to leave it parked? Just take the direct train from Rome to Salerno, then ferry from Salerno to Positano. If you must have a car while you are in Vico, then after Positano you can bus or driver to Sorrento and pick up a car there and drive to Vico.

GAC
Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
Level Contributor
8,828 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Rome to Naples and on from there - Positano

You can take public transportation from Positano to Vico Equense (SITA bus + Circumvesuviana train via Sorrento or Meta), then Vico Equense to Naples (Circumvesuviana train)!!!

Also, there is no point in keeping a rental car parked (at great expense) in Positano whilst vising Capri and other Amalfi Coast towns as day trips.

SITA bus from Positano to Meta and Sorrento:

sitasudtrasporti.it/public/…5070.pdf

Circumvesuviana train from Sorrento, Meta to Vico Equense and Naples:

eavcampania.it/web/…20viceversa.pdf

Lighthouse Point...
Level Contributor
19 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Rome to Naples and on from there - Positano

We arranged for a car to pick us up at FCO and drive into Rome (we stayed at Hotel Alpi near the Termini train station). I'm glad we did because after flying all night from Atlanta we were dead tired. We found that without pre-arranged transportation we paid much more than market price. We contacted the hotel and they set up the driver (I think it was 60 euros), well worth the money after traveling all night. We didn't make trains reservations and found it easy to get tickets from the machines at Termini. We took the fast train & booked first class (huge waste of money, we were the only ones in the car) 2nd class is fine, many seats were available. Upon arrival at Naples (we were enroute to Praino, near Positano) we had a car arranged but we were unable to confirm so we had to take a taxi (we paid 50 euro more than our private car would have cost). Plus it was a junker with bad air conditioning! Make your res ahead of time!

new york
Level Contributor
380 posts
1 review
Save Reply
15. Re: Rome to Naples and on from there - Positano

I have to say I don't know what to do. I guess we can take train to from Rome then get driver to Positano or ferry to Positano. Which do you suggest. Then we need driver to explore the coast. When we go to Capri we can take ferry from Positano- and after Capri we need to get to Vico equense. Whew.

Portland, OR
Destination Expert
for Positano
Level Contributor
6,493 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Rome to Naples and on from there - Positano

Very easy. Taxi from FCO to Termini train station. Train from Rome to Salerno, then ferry from Salerno to Positano. Note: you must arrive in Salerno prior to the last ferry leaving for Positano (which is currently 17:10). While in Positano, you can see Amalfi and Ravello via ferry also.

Ferry from Positano to Capri.

Ferry from Capri to Sorrento. Then train or rent a car from Sorrento to Vico.

Orange County...
Destination Expert
for Amalfi Coast
Level Contributor
2,317 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Rome to Naples and on from there - Positano

Is your question about getting to Roma Termini? It sounds like that is the case. For 4, it would be very close to cost neutral to travel by the Leonardo Express train vs taxi. Taxi would be more convenient.

Is budget a major issue?

If you are able to spend approximately $400 euro you should be able to get a private driver to meet you at FCO and deliver you to Positano. I've done it and it cost 350 euro (in 2011) which we deemed worth it vs cost of train/taxi to Termini plus train to Naples/Salerno plus driver or bus to Positano. Not to mention we were at hotel in Positano approximately 3.5 hours after landing at FCO. Does this help?

18. Re: Rome to Naples and on from there - Positano

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 August 2014, 05:17