We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trips from Positano- please help!

Canada
Level Contributor
400 posts
Save Topic
Trips from Positano- please help!

We are currently in Positano with 2 days left.

We would like to visit Sorrento, Amalfi, Ravello. We have a rented car and think to do a day trip starting with spending time at Manori or Maiori beach and in the afternoon visiting Amalfi amd Ravello.

The second day, i am not sure if we should drive to Sorrento (that will be a cheaper option ) or take a ferry to see the coast. There is also an option of a tour, i guess. Also, we've been on Capri many years ago and i thought to skip it this time, i would like your opinion if it worh to skip trip to Sorrento and instead to go on tour to Capri.

Thank you very much!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,409 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Trips from Positano- please help!

Why do you need tours at all? These are all places one can easily see on your own - If you want to see Sorrento, then go - it is a much larger town than the AC villages - Parking will be a bear (as it will in Minori, Amalfi and Ravello) but you can then just walk around Sorrento, look over your guidebook to see if there is anything specific you wish to see there.

A tour isn't needed for Capri either - just the ferry over - you can look at www.capri.net to decide if you want to return.

Not sure how anyone can tell you which place to visit - I always choose places that have an interest for me and have things I want to do and see there.

At this time of year - busiest month of the year - I would leave the car in Positano and go off to Amalfi via ferry and then bus up to Ravello - besides the traffic situation, parking is not plentiful and it is very very pricey.

Are you going to the beach in Maiori rather than Positano for a reason? There are few beaches in Positano you could go to without having to tackle the driving.

Canada
Level Contributor
400 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Trips from Positano- please help!

We spent a day today at the beach in Positano. It was very very nice. Our hotel suggested to go see other beaches like Minori just for the change....i thought to make a day trip out of it, to combine with Amalfi and Ravello because of the proximity. Capri tour- i tought of the tour instead of just a ferry because they stop for swimming and caves. Any suggestions are appriciated!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,409 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Trips from Positano- please help!

You could take the ferry over to Capri and join one of the boats (there are many, with different numbers of people and prices) that you will find at the end of the quay on your left. Will end up still being cheaper than if you take a tour over from Positano; a number of them go around the island and stop and let people swim - you can take one for a few hours or longer. I don't the names - there are numerous options at the end of quay or you could email a few of the boat companies on that Capri website I included in my other post.

Portland, OR
Destination Expert
for Positano
Level Contributor
6,468 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trips from Positano- please help!

If you want to experience a different beach, you could take the ferry to Amalfi and walk over to Atrani and relax on the beach, then walk back to Amalfi and catch the bus up to Ravello. Just be sure to be back in Amalfi in time to catch the last ferry back to Positano, which looks to be at 6:00.

But personally, I would rather spend the day relaxing at Laurito Beach and eating a fantastic seafood lunch, especially in August!

5. Re: Trips from Positano- please help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 August 2014, 06:19