We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cheap but good accommodation in Positano- is it possible?

Eastbourne, United...
Level Contributor
31 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Cheap but good accommodation in Positano- is it possible?

Is there anywhere in Positano that I can stay for about £1500 for 2 weeks that is not right out of town. By the time I have got flights from Gatwick and spending money it could well be a £5-6,000 holiday and that is self-catering! Why is Positano so expensive? Obviously it is very beautiful as I have been before but I am on a budget this time. Sorrento is the same. Everytime I look to go to Italy I end up going elsewhere in Europe or even Florida as it is better value! I have a different agenda this time so would love to bring my husband and three children to Italy. I would be travelling in August 2014.

Edited: 19 August 2013, 10:36
Texas
Level Contributor
1,477 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cheap but good accommodation in Positano- is it possible?

L1500 for two weeks for the five of you? That's about 1800e - or a little over e125-130 euros/night. That's very tight for five people almost anywhere at peak season - including the US. If you can do out of peak season (which August is as you know), you might have some better options?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,936 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Cheap but good accommodation in Positano- is it possible?

August is the most popular month for the seaside in Italy and prices reflect that. It is expensive because it is so popular. Your budget is low for five people; but you could check this site: http://www.summerinitaly.com/eng/rent/area3!italy_.htm

I have not used them personally but know a few folks who have and have been satisfied.

Also, prices for one year from now will be higher than they are for this year - that has been the case for each year since I have been going; prices do not remain stagnant.

If you are staying a bit out of the village, then you have to figure out how you will get to the beach and the town as you can't walk along the road - the buses, while not very pricey, will add to your expense.

Maybe you could choose one of the smaller villages - i.e., Mairori, Minori, Atrani, Praiano - oftentimes lodging in the smaller villages are less expensive.

Eastbourne, United...
Level Contributor
31 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cheap but good accommodation in Positano- is it possible?

Hi

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately this time I can't take the children out of school so it would have to be August. Admittedly when I went to Florida it was in school time so was cheaper to get flights and the villas are so great in the US and hiring a car is not bad either. In Campania (and possibly the rest of Italy) it seems you don't get much for your money peak season or not!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,936 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Cheap but good accommodation in Positano- is it possible?

It's a matter of opinion I guess. I had a great price for a place that I stayed in a spectacular location in late October 2011 for 7 days - to me, it was great value and well worth what I paid, which wasn't much. It is personal. The AC is not a budget destination - if one expects that, they will be disappointed. There are other beautiful places to go that are less pricey.

These businesses in the area are really only operating about 5 or 6 months so prices are, understandably (to me anyway) higher than if they were able to operate 12 months of the year to make a living.

Edited: 19 August 2013, 14:26
Eastbourne, United...
Level Contributor
31 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cheap but good accommodation in Positano- is it possible?

Hi MomCat1992

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Texas
Level Contributor
1,477 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cheap but good accommodation in Positano- is it possible?

We have used SummerinItaly and they are excellent. Very good communication too so you could try emailing them directly with your budget and see what they have to offer.

They are an agency though and any time you use an agency, you are paying for their fee. So renting direct from owners (via vrbo or some other site) cuts that part out since you are very price sensitive although you also miss the back up of an agency.

Four vacations in and around the AC later though, we have noticed that in Italy it seems very common for owners still not to be using websites at all so that route has its own difficulties (whereas in the US I think it would be extraordinarily uncommon now for someone with a holiday rental property not to be using website advertizing of some kind).

Car hire does seem expensive in Italy. Not sure why.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,936 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Cheap but good accommodation in Positano- is it possible?

You could check out Ischia - which has more beaches than the Amalfi Coast - the island is beautiful and it may be more suitable for your budget.

Texas
Level Contributor
1,477 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cheap but good accommodation in Positano- is it possible?

Or Santa Maria di Castellabate - an hour south of the AC. We have split our trips between there and the AC. Gorgeous, great beaches, much less touristy, nowhere near as expensive. But again August is peak price season even in a less expensive place. Good luck!

Eastbourne, United...
Level Contributor
31 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cheap but good accommodation in Positano- is it possible?

Thanks to everyone for their advice.

Ciao

10. Re: Cheap but good accommodation in Positano- is it possible?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2014, 07:20