We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

With a phobia about cats is Positano the place to visit

Which Positano hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
With a phobia about cats is Positano the place to visit

Planning a trip to the Amalfi coast next year Positano looks beautiful but my wife has a phobia about cats ! and we have been told there is a large stray cat population everywhere in Positano. Is this correct ? and if it is can any one recommend another location on the Amalfi coast without the cats please

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
38,687 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: With a phobia about cats is Positano the place to visit

There are some cats but I never saw that many - they are not everywhere at all. I played with a group of kittens near Il Fornillo beach and from a photo someone recently posted, there was still at least one cat still there - not sure if it is part of the kittens who have grown up but they don't hang out all over everything. You may not see any at all. There was one or two down by the beach as well as a well known beach dog.

I've seen some (again, not many) cats in all Amalfi Coast villages - Ravello, Praiano, Amalfi, Atrani - so don't expect anywhere to be completely cat free. You will run into them in many parts of Italy. Again - not huge herds of them or anything but a few here and there - so, if you see one, just side step from it - they won't be crawling out of the woodwork.

Portland, OR
Destination Expert
for Positano
Level Contributor
5,763 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: With a phobia about cats is Positano the place to visit

The only place I remember seeing them is outside the fishmonger's store at the base of the "staircase from hell" (just our nickname for it) on the dock side of the beach. No more in Pos than in any other small Italian town from my experience!

Australia
Destination Expert
for Pompeii, Herculaneum, Naples
Level Contributor
8,169 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: With a phobia about cats is Positano the place to visit

*a large stray cat population everywhere in Positano*

Another wildly exaggerated traveller tale, lol. I saw one cat on the beach on my recent visit (I am the one Momcat refers to in post. 1) and my B&B had a house cat who would drop by but nowhere in my visit did I see stray cats roaming the streets all over the place. There are far too many people around for that and cats are pretty timid so I think your wife will have nothing to worry about.

Maryland
Level Contributor
1,427 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: With a phobia about cats is Positano the place to visit

I have serious cat allergies and I visit Italy all the time. I see cats here and there, but not all over the place and certainly not everywhere in Positano when we were there. The cats do not come to me and I stay away from them. I was fine when I visited Sorrrento and the Amalfi Coast. The one thing I always remember to do though is stay at places where pets are not allowed and that is just because of my allergies. Needless to say I do the same everywhere I go including traveling within my own country.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: With a phobia about cats is Positano the place to visit

There's no more cats in Positano than anywhere else, don't let this stop you from visiting this beautiful area.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: With a phobia about cats is Positano the place to visit

Many thanks for info much appreciated. It can be quite awful how phobias like this can effect peoples life.

Its certainly the last thing you want to contend with whilst on holiday. so forwarned is forarmed, but in this case hopefully the rumours seem untrue.

Once again many thanks

Mike G

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: With a phobia about cats is Positano the place to visit

Many thanks for info much appreciated. It can be quite awful how phobias like this can effect peoples life.

Its certainly the last thing you want to contend with whilst on holiday. so forwarned is forarmed, but in this case hopefully the rumours seem untrue.

Once again many thanks

By the way the cats you saw were they mainly by the beach / harbour ?

Mike G

Portland, OR
Destination Expert
for Positano
Level Contributor
5,763 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: With a phobia about cats is Positano the place to visit

The fish shop where I saw the cats (only about 3 of them) is about 20 steps from the beach - tucked away at the base of the big staircase.

Positano
Destination Expert
for Positano
Level Contributor
957 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: With a phobia about cats is Positano the place to visit

There are a lot of cats in the residential area of Fornillo. They tend to keep to the alleyways where food is left out for them. They often wander through our gardens. I would pick a hotel outside of this area if you don't want to come across them. They don't venture up to the road and generally try to escape if someone approaches.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
369 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: With a phobia about cats is Positano the place to visit

Oh how horrible to have a phobia of cats!!! I LOVE LOVE LOVE them, and on our last trip to Italy one of the many highlights for me was meeting the village cats on my travels. Off to Positano next year and cant wait to meet "the furry locals". Anyway enjoy your trip