We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help With Itinerary

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
32 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Help With Itinerary

Firstly I want to thank all the people who've already answered my previous questions on this board; I really appreciate it!

Secondly - I'm still really having a hard time deciding the best route for a chunk of our trip. Basically we want to leave Rome on Thursday, June 12th and we have to be back in Rome (or somewhere close by) to rent a car and be in San Gimignano by Monday, June 16. In those 4 days we want to maximize our time in Positano BUT I still want to visit Pompeii. What is the most efficient way of doing this to spend the least time on the road? Should we spend a night in Naples or Sorrento and day trip from there? Leave Rome really early and see it on the way to Positano? Some other option I'm missing? I should also mention that we're budget travellers so we can't spend 100 EUR or more on a private transfer from Positano (maybe there are some group tours that leave from there in June?).

Thanks again for all your wise advice!

Mentioned in this post
Sorrento
Sorrento
Province of Naples, Italy
Zia Lucy
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, Cooking Classes, Hiking & Camping Tours, Cultural Tours
Mandara Car Services
Sightseeing Tours, Taxis & Shuttles, Historical & Heritage Tours, Cultural Tours
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
43,682 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Help With Itinerary

Go early to Pompei from Rome - from Naples, it's less than 5 euros on the Circumvesuviana (local train) to Pompei Scavi (that is the stop you want); someone here mentioned it is 40 minutes from Naples (I had recalled it as less but count on 40 minutes on that local train); there is a left luggage facility at the Pompei site - after, take train back to Sorrento and pick up the SITA bus from Sorrento's train/bus station to Positano - less than 10 euros each.

Mentioned in this post
Sorrento
Sorrento
Province of Naples, Italy
Portland, OR
Destination Expert
for Positano
Level Contributor
6,538 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help With Itinerary

Absolutely agree with MC. If you book your tickets from Rome to Naples in advance, you may be able to get a discount (if still available).

3. Re: Help With Itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 February 2015, 05:21