We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ferry Positano to Salerno

Gold Coast
Level Contributor
52 posts
183 reviews
Save Topic
Ferry Positano to Salerno

We will be visiting Positano for a few days in April. On the day we leave, we need to be in Salerno before 1pm for a train connection back to Rome. We had planned on taking the SITA bus to Salerno via Amalfi, but have heard the Amalfi Coast Road is closed between Positano and Amalfi at the moment. We are looking at plan B, just in case the road remains closed.

Other posts on TA advise the Coop Sant Andrea ferries commence running in April. Does anyone know the date they will commence operating this year? We will be travelling on Sunday April 13. Many thanks.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
40,525 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Ferry Positano to Salerno

The date isn't yet known; usually begins after Easter but since Easter is late (April 20) this year, people have presumed the boats may begin a bit earlier but no one has the dates yet; it is too early to know.

Two months is a long time in the future - I would be surprised if the road remained closed for such a long time - they would be dying from lack of tourists and needed products.

Why Salerno? Can you not go to Naples instead if this is a worry? Did you check to see if your Salerno train makes a stop in Naples? I think if you bought it as Economy, you could change it to Naples train but that you would have to pay the difference between the Economy price and the Base price - at least i think that is what the terms and conditions are - you should check your ticket or the Trenitalia website to confirm terms and conditions as I do think you get one change with an Economy ticket.

But, again, I really can't believe the road will be closed for two months - it has been closed for a few weeks at a time after a storm (boulders dropping into road, that sort of thing) in the past, but I have never heard of a few months. Unless, of course, it is a rainy April and something else happens. But, if there is rough weather, the ferry can't stop in Positano in any case as there is only a dock there vs a harbor, as in the village of Amalfi.

Edited: 23 February 2014, 13:34
GAC
Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
Level Contributor
8,828 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ferry Positano to Salerno

Your Positano-to-Salerno trip is on Palm Sunday, and I'm going to make a bet that the Cooperativa Sant'Andrea ferry will be operating on that day (as long as weather permits). There should be plenty of traffic on that day, making the service economically advantageous. Nevertheless, I would send them an e-mail at the beginning of April requesting confirmation of operation for Palm Sunday. Unfortunately, the Cooperativa Sant'Andrea never specifies on its website the exact date that ferry service commences in April, thereby giving themselves plenty of "wiggle room" to make last-moment schedule decisions. That is why you should try to contact them by e-mail or telephone closer to your departure date.

The SITA buses should be running from Positano to Salerno in mid-April. Any current temporary road closures occasioned by mudslides or falling rocks should have been cleared long before that time!!!! However, as you know, the trip is long and requires a connection in Amalfi, making the morning ferry to Salerno much preferable, especially if you're taking an early afternoon train out of Salerno. I for one would much rather take the ferry to Salerno, especially if it's a nice sunny day! (If I were starting out from Amalfi rather than Positano, I would be more open to taking the SITA bus to Salerno).

Edited: 23 February 2014, 14:05
Gold Coast
Level Contributor
52 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ferry Positano to Salerno

Thanks very much for your advice. Let's cross our fingers for a calm sunny day and a lovely ferry trip to Salerno! That was our first preference, but have found conflicting advice about whether the boats will be running.

Gold Coast
Level Contributor
52 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ferry Positano to Salerno

Just letting you know that the ferries were indeed running on the day we left Positano. We were very happy with our transfer to Salerno. Thanks again for your input.

5. Re: Ferry Positano to Salerno

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 May 2015, 05:15