We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New 2014 Ferry Boat Schedules between Salerno/Amalfi/Positan

GAC
Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
Level Contributor
8,828 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
New 2014 Ferry Boat Schedules between Salerno/Amalfi/Positan

JUST PUBLISHED:

The new ferry boat schedules from Salerno to Amalfi to Positano (and return) beginning

April 2, 2014:

travelmar.it/downloads/orari_Aprile2014.pdf

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
335 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New 2014 Ferry Boat Schedules between Salerno/Amalfi/Positan

Thank you. I've been waiting for this information.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
65 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New 2014 Ferry Boat Schedules between Salerno/Amalfi/Positan

I will be in Positano in June with 8 other members of my family, we were considering a private car to take us to Amalfi and Ravello for the day but it is very expensive because we would need such a large vehicle or 2 cars. How easy would the ferry be. When arriving in Amalfi is it easy to get around on foot? Do we need to purchase tickets ahead or when we get to Positano? Thank you for any advice you can share.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,983 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: New 2014 Ferry Boat Schedules between Salerno/Amalfi/Positan

Just buy the tickets in Positano and yes, it is easy to get around in Amalfi on foot. The bus to Ravello is right near where the ferry will leave you off - the bus up to Ravello will take between 20-30 minutes, depending on traffic. The ferry is a great way to travel between the villages that accommodate them as the buses in high season are very difficult and packed and a true misery.

Ravello is 100% pedestrian only so the bus (or a driver) would drop you just outside of it.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
65 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New 2014 Ferry Boat Schedules between Salerno/Amalfi/Positan

Thanks Momcat. Will take a day to go to Amalfi by Ferry. Do you think, given the Ferry schedule, there is enough time to see Ravello also. Would you suggest taking bus to Ravello first, then Amalfi or should I split this between two days?

GAC
Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
Level Contributor
8,828 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New 2014 Ferry Boat Schedules between Salerno/Amalfi/Positan

If you take the first morning ferry from Positano to Amalfi, and the last afternoon ferry from Amalfi back to Positano, you will have enough time to also see Ravello. However, if you want to spend time at both Villa Cimbrone and VIlla Rufolo (both in Ravello), plus have a leisurely lunch in Ravello, plus use the bus service between Amalfi and Ravello (versus two taxis), you're better off splitting the trip into two days (one for Amalfi and one for Ravello).

If you do the trip in one day, I recommend getting to Ravello as soon as possible in the morning, and visit Amalfi in the afternoon.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
65 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New 2014 Ferry Boat Schedules between Salerno/Amalfi/Positan

Thank you! I think we will split it into 2 days.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,983 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: New 2014 Ferry Boat Schedules between Salerno/Amalfi/Positan

Depends on how many days you are there - if you are there for a full week, then divide it into two days but if in Positano for 4 days or less, I'd do it in one day so you can stay and enjoy Positano for at least three full days - well deserved to do so.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
322 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: New 2014 Ferry Boat Schedules between Salerno/Amalfi/Positan

Just booked an Italo Treno train from Firenze to Salerno. We arrive into Salerno at 10:55 am, in time for the 11:40 ferry to Positano.

We will also be using the ferry from Positano to Amalfi, for a day trip to Ravello. A few questions:

1. Do the ferries tend to fill up?

2. Is Amalfi itself worth a visit? We are spending 3 days on the coast, based in Positano. We have been to Capri, so likely not going to make it there for this trip

Thanks!!

GAC
Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
Level Contributor
8,828 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New 2014 Ferry Boat Schedules between Salerno/Amalfi/Positan

1. During the height of the summer season, yes, but it's much, much worse trying to take the SITA buses between Sorrento and Positano/Amalfi. You don't say when you are going.

2. Absolutely yes

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
322 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: New 2014 Ferry Boat Schedules between Salerno/Amalfi/Positan

Thanks GAC. We are going mid July. Hopefully the ferry will have space at 11:40, as the next one is at 14:10.