We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to Rome

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
343 posts
Save Topic
Getting to Rome

Hello! I am in need of some advice for our transport from Positano to Rome.

We are staying at the Marincanto, with check out time at noon. Should we:

1. Catch the 1:30 pm Positano ferry to Salerno, then train to Rome (arriving approx. 5 pm)

2. Catch the 3:30 pm Positano ferry to Salerno, then train to Rome (arriving approx. 7 pm)

I'm concerned with navigating around with our 3 carry ons. We are also flying from Rome to Santorini the next morning. We will be spending 2 full days in Rome at the end of our trip, before flying back to Toronto.

My gut is to arrive into Rome at 7, settle in, have a nice dinner, then an early night in, given we are flying out the next day. But option 1 may be easier.

I'm just not sure what to do (with our luggage) between 12 pm and 3:30 pm. I guess we could leave the luggage with reception while we enjoy our last few hours in the village, but is catching the last ferry out of Positano risky?

Any advice appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
Positano
Positano
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Hotel Marincanto
Hotel Marincanto
1,254 Reviews
Positano, Italy
Santorini
Santorini
Cyclades, Greece
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
343 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting to Rome

Forgot to add, the reason for the pre-planning is to take advantage of early booking train rates. Right now I can book TrenItalia tickets for 3 at 48 euro total (premium fare). Assuming the cost would be at least double, if I left it to the day of travel. Not a huge deal, but if some pre-consideration can save us 50 euro, I'm all for that :)

Edited: 22 March 2014, 21:04
GAC
Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
Level Contributor
8,831 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting to Rome

The last ferry from Positano to Salerno departs after 15:30

www.travelmar.it

It should not matter whether you take the ferry at 13:30 or at 15:30.

Your hotel will gladly hold your luggage in their storage room while you walk around Positano.

Mentioned in this post
Positano
Positano
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Salerno
Salerno
Amalfi Coast, Italy
3. Re: Getting to Rome

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 March 2015, 04:51