We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

restaurants in Positano - your favorites?!

Kansas City
Level Contributor
199 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
restaurants in Positano - your favorites?!

Any comments on the following range of choices for dining? going in June...4 nights

La Tagliatu, Da Vincenzo, Constantinos, Next2, Buca di Bacco, Taverna di Leone, Arienzo Beach for lunch, Chez Black, Case e Bottega, La Sponda...please excuse any misspellings! and any other suggestions? thanks!

Portland, OR
Destination Expert
for Positano
Level Contributor
6,415 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: restaurants in Positano - your favorites?!

We prefer Tre Sorelle to Chez Black (right next door). I tend to get motion sickness, so would not have dinner at La Tagliata (high in the hills above Positano).

We had a lovely dinner at Taverna di Leone after having drinks at Il San Pietro, but it requires a taxi.

Have not yet been to Arienzo, but absolutely adore Da Adolfo at Laurito Beach.

Will try Next2 during our trip in June, if we feel like eating somewhere without a view of the sea.

Amalfi Coast Travel Essentials is a great app with good dining suggestions (and shopping, transportation, etc.)

Portland, OR
Destination Expert
for Positano
Level Contributor
6,415 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: restaurants in Positano - your favorites?!

Here is a new blog post about Casa e Bottega: …blogspot.co.uk/2014/04/lunch-at-casa-e-bott…

It looks great and may go on the list for our June trip, although I usually prefer eating outdoors for lunch like at Ferdinando's on Fornillo Beach. Or having a fresh pizza and chilled bottle of white wine delivered to me on the beach. :-)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
40,582 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: restaurants in Positano - your favorites?!

I like La Cambusa, the restaurant at Hotel Pupetto at Il Fornillo beach. I like the pizzas at Chez Black (overpriced but delicious - literally about twice the price of a pizza anywhere else but you are paying for that real estate).

La Sponda for a splurge - far more pricey/upscale than I think everything else on your list.

And, a few others I know by sight but can't recall the names (I'm not good with that).

La Tagliata does not appeal to me at all so never been.

I like Lo Guarracino Ristorante (on your way to or from the beach at Il Fornillo, you will pass it) -

I don't care for Buca di Bacco - I used to like it until a few years ago and then in a brief amount of time had a number of disappointing meals there.

I never plan where I'm going to eat so I usually end up just wandering in somewhere - the only place I ever reserved was La Sponda, out of necessity. But, everywhere else there I just went in based on the menu, how it felt/looked to me. (But then I don't read reviews of restaurants anywhere I travel - I don't like to plan much of anything).

I've never had anything really bad - I've had mostly very good food everywhere I have eaten there. La Sponda, while wonderful for what it is, is not my sort of choice of restaurant at the seaside. I much prefer casual, rustic places so I stay away from the places like Next2 and some others when in that area and save those sorts of dining experiences for when I am in the cities in Italy - just a personal choice.

Put a pile of spaghetti ala vongole in front of me and I could eat it for lunch and dinner for a month - simple pleasures! (Just a bit of an exaggeration, but not much)

Oh, if you find it on the menu and you like buffalo mozzarella - do see if you can try the mozzarella wrapped in a lemon leaf (which are huge in the region) and then grilled or baked - when you open the leaf, the oils from the leaf will have seeped into the melted cheese and well, you can imagine….indescribably delicious.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Positano
Level Contributor
984 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: restaurants in Positano - your favorites?!

Tried Next2 two years ago and I did not (and will not) come back. Very mediocre, forgettable food, which makes you feel that you're anywhere but in Positano, but most of all in some mildly trendy Miami spot with huge portions.

If you're planning on doing a splurge and don't mind the drive, substitute La Sponda with Don Alfonso. One of the best dinners I've had to date.

Another place I always go to is Donna Rosa.

Edited: 24 April 2014, 18:05
Portland, OR
Destination Expert
for Positano
Level Contributor
6,415 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: restaurants in Positano - your favorites?!

Good to know about Next2 Enigma - especially the trendy Miami comment. That was something I thought from seeing pictures, but had read so much about it that I was beginning to second-guess myself! When I am in Pos I usually want a view of the sea or town so i feel like I am in Pos! A good restaurant for that is Bar Bruno - such a great view if you are seated on the side of the road.

We spent the night at Don Alfonso and had a fantastic lunch, but that is quite a drive for dinner. 45 minutes or more?

Where is Donna Rosa located?

cheshire, england
Level Contributor
5,797 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: restaurants in Positano - your favorites?!

Possibly the tastiest lasagne I've ever eaten was in Positano - in Ristaurante Max. It was made with tiny meatballs and was absolutely delicious (we may well revisit in September for a 'repeat'!)

We had a very mediocre pizza at Buca di Bacco one evening. The next time we called in there resulted in an altercation and we've never been back - and never will.

I've jotted down a few of the above recommendations myself - so thank you for this thread!

Australia
Destination Expert
for Pompeii, Herculaneum, Naples
Level Contributor
8,651 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: restaurants in Positano - your favorites?!

I absolutely love this place. Family run, decent prices, great pizza and free limoncello. The staff are so amazing - they even remembered me from my visit a year earlier. Their spaghetti puttanesca is unforgettable.

tripadvisor.com.au/Restaurant_Review-g194863…

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
326 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: restaurants in Positano - your favorites?!

Kathy W, Saraceno d'oro seems like my kind of place. Authentic, not too pricey. Will definitely check out in July. Apologies, do not mean to take over this thread. The pizza looks like it's made in a wood burning oven!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Positano
Level Contributor
984 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: restaurants in Positano - your favorites?!

Donna Rosa is located in Montepertuso, above Positano. It is an absolute "must" for me at least once during the trip.

Don Alfonso is under an hour away but so worth it that I don't mind.

Max is a cute place but what bothers me about it is that tourists are usually placed in the dining room to the left and locals/italians to the right. While I've been there many times, I don't think I've been back since 2012. Can't say I'm missing out.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: restaurants in Positano - your favorites?!

I just returned from 3 nights in Positano and my recommendation would be not to get too caught up in planning restaurants. Although Positano is small its still hilly and some places might not make sense depending on where you are staying. We were at the Punta Regina and loved the location - not in the center of town, but not too far. But we tended to eat near our hotel or by the beach. I don't think I would have walked or rode the bus to the other side just for dinner. Our first night we ate at Saracento d-oro because we noticed they did "take away." we are so tired from traveling and our room had such a nice patio and view we thought it made sense to have dinner in. They were oh so nice, gave us glasses of wine while waiting for our meals and they were damn good. We also ate at Next2 and I agree with the other comments - it was a good meal but more fru fru than we normally do. We had our last dinner at Tres Sorelles on the beach - great atmosphere and also great service. For lunch we usually just ate wherever we happened to be - there was a great pastry/panini/pizza place right near the main bus stop - can't remember the name but they had stuff in the display window so you cant miss it. Da Vincenzo was near our hotel also and we walked by a bunch of times - if we stayed another night we would have eaten there.