We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Amalfi to Positano driver or hike Footpath of Gods?

Boston...
Level Contributor
91 posts
Save Topic
Amalfi to Positano driver or hike Footpath of Gods?

We have only three days in Positano. Our first day we plan to just walk and explore.

Our second day we plan to take a boat trip up the Amalfi Coast. We were planning on getting off at Amalfi and hire a driver to go to Ravello and drive back down the coast to Positano ( figuring it'd be great to see the coast by road as well as by sea).

But, now I'm wondering, since we want to try and hike the Footpaths of the Gods, if it makes the most sense to do the hike once we get off at Amalfi, since it seems like we have to get there anyway to pick up the trail at Bomberano.

Wondering what people think about this plan. 3 days isn't very long in Positano, so I hate to have to go to Amalfi for 2 of the 3 days...

Also, is the trail from Bomberano to Positono easy to follow. I have a horrible sense of direction and don't want to have to rely on that or a map!

Edited: 27 April 2014, 20:50
Brentwood, United...
Level Contributor
2,611 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Amalfi to Positano driver or hike Footpath of Gods?

In my response to your previous posting in regard to walking the Footpath of the Gods I said I did not think it would be a good idea for you to attempt this walk on your own unless you were an experienced walker and prepared to follow a map. Your present proposal to take the ferry to Amalfi and then to Ravello , walking down from there to Amalfi is quite practical on your own and would be a very pleasant trip. No need to hire a car at Amalfi take a bus or a taxi to Ravello. At the Tourist Office there you can get a simple map which will show the route down to the coast near Amalfi. The views you will get walking this route will be similar to those you would get on the Footpath from the Gods but not so dramatic since you will be starting yourvwalk at a lower point. You can then return to Popsitano either by the ferry or by the bus.

You can then have a day relaxing in Positano.

Edited: 27 April 2014, 21:30
Boston...
Level Contributor
91 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Amalfi to Positano driver or hike Footpath of Gods?

Thanks. Confused though as most others, from other posts, seem to suggest that if you start the trail at Bomberano, the trail should not be difficult at all.

Why do you suggest differently?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
42,302 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Amalfi to Positano driver or hike Footpath of Gods?

It is not that difficult a walk/hike but you did say you don't want to depend on a map and have a bad sense of direction - and, it can be tricky to find. I'm terrible at giving any directions for it as I kind of go like a homing pigeon and don't know how to describe certain things/starting points, etc. Also, want to point out that there are a few different paths to take, some being a bit more difficult -

But, I have done it a few times and always take a map and always get a bit turned around, especially at first -

Maybe you could check some youtube videos - There are a number of them - see if it looks doable for you (a few of the videos seem to say they provide direction as well, I didn't listen though):

Search Youtube.com for "path of the gods hike positano italy" -

Edited: 28 April 2014, 15:38
Brentwood, United...
Level Contributor
2,611 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Amalfi to Positano driver or hike Footpath of Gods?

I admit I have not had the opportunity of walking the Path to the Gods but am a very experienced walker and have been to Amalfi and Ravello as I said in an earlier posting I have had an interest in walking the Path for some time. Therefore I have read with interest the various postings in regard to this Path. There is some confusing in the various postings since some walkers attempt the path from various starting points. The official starting point is Bomerano which is reached by a relatively infrequent bus from Amalfi. As shown by this relatively recent posting quite a few people have had difficulty in getting this bus and therefore having to abandon the walk. Others have had difficulty actually locating the start point for the Walk.

tripadvisor.co.uk/…43279745

Since you implied you were not an experienced walker and do not wish to read a map I suggested that you arranged to do it with a guide from Positano.

It appears that you have a very limited time in Positano and wish to visit Ravello which I would fully support ,a delightful place with some of the best views of the Amalfi Coast. A walk down from there by footpath is well within your capabilities and that is why I proposed you do that in lieu of the Path of the Gods.

Even if you had more time, as an experienced walks leader myself, I am still of the opinion that it would be un-wise for yourself and your daughter to attempt the Path of the Gods on your own .

5. Re: Amalfi to Positano driver or hike Footpath of Gods?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 April 2015, 06:15