We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Positano - Pompei Day Trip

Chicago
Level Contributor
396 posts
77 reviews
Save Topic
Positano - Pompei Day Trip

We will be staying for six nights in Positano and, for the most part, plan on staying in and around Positano soaking up the beauty of the area. We have never been to Pompei and wonder if it is possible to see Pompei as well as the Archaeological Museum in Naples all in one day. If this is possible, any suggestions on logistics - getting to and from Pompei and the Museum would be appreciated.

Portland, OR
Destination Expert
for Positano
Level Contributor
6,472 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Positano - Pompei Day Trip

Yes, it would be possible to do both in one day, if you start very early. The easiest would be to hire a driver for the entire day, or at least to get you to Pompeii. From Pompeii you can catch the Circuvesuviana train to Naples. From Naples you catch the same train back to Sorrento and then either a bus or driver from Sorrento to Positano.

Chicago
Level Contributor
396 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Positano - Pompei Day Trip

Engred - Thank you for the information....I'm glad to know that we will be able to see both places in one day.

Does anyone have recommendations on drivers in the area who can transport us from Positano to Pompei in the morning? We will probably take the train back to Sorrento and then bus to Positano.

Bedford...
Level Contributor
164 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Positano - Pompei Day Trip

I have a similar plan in mind. Staying in Positano for 7 nights in August and wanted to do a day trip to Pompeii. I believe round trip with a driver would be minimum $250, I have to believe that the bus/train option would be significantly less. What would be the best public route to take?

I am also going to look into the archaeological museum in Naples too, that sounds interesting.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Pompeii, Herculaneum, Naples
Level Contributor
8,802 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Positano - Pompei Day Trip

I'd go by water - take the ferry to Sorrento then the train. The SITA bus is an option but only if you start early and finish late. During the day it will be full of cruise ship day trippers and a nightmare of a journey. Is it possible for you to visit Pompeii on your way to Positano? That saves backtracking.

Bedford...
Level Contributor
164 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Positano - Pompei Day Trip

Hi Kathy,

I appreciate your response. We fly into Naples around noon on Wednesday and the current plan is to take the ferry to Capri and stay there for three nights, then take the ferry from Capri to Positano where we have a villa for 7 nights. I don't think we have enough time to see Pompeii on our arrival day. My thought was we take a day in the middle of the week from Poistano to do the Pompeii day trip.

Alternatively, we could stay the first night in Naples, maybe see the Archaeological museum late afternoon. The next day we could head to Pompeii, return to Naples and then take the ferry to Capri for a 2 night stay? The trade off here is one less day in Capri and one more day in Positano. What would your suggestion be?

Thanks.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Pompeii, Herculaneum, Naples
Level Contributor
8,802 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Positano - Pompei Day Trip

Trish - personally I'd go for option 2 - that way you can see the Naples Archaeological Museum (bear in mind it's closed Tuesdays). Two nights on Capri will be lovely - it's a beautiful place when the day trippers all go home. A night in Naples will give you a taste of this incredible city - one of the few ancient cities not overrun by tourists (think Florence/Venice). Take a walk around the historic centre, sample some pizza and then head to Capri the next day.

Kathy

http://kathyw62.blogspot.com.au/

Bedford...
Level Contributor
164 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Positano - Pompei Day Trip

Thanks again Kathy. I think that sounds like a good plan as well.

8. Re: Positano - Pompei Day Trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 May 2015, 05:17