We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Southern Italy

Which Positano hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
101 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Southern Italy

Hi everyone,

My husband and I are planning to visit southern Italy in August (for 10 days) and need your help. I'm thinking of flying into Rome or Naples, renting a car and driving to Sorrento, Positano etc.....

I'm just starting to reserch and already overwhelmed with the possibilities:

Car Rental Co?

Where to stay?

What to see?

What to avoid?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Coto de Caza...
Destination Expert
for Amalfi Coast
Level Contributor
1,826 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Southern Italy

You've got to narrow this down. Have you been previously? How many days on this trip? What are your interests? Any places you already know you want to see? Southern Italy covers a lot of ground. Give us some ideas what you'd like to do on your trip.

Portland, OR
Destination Expert
for Positano
Level Contributor
6,161 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Southern Italy

If you plan on visiting the Amalfi Coast (since you mention Positano and Sorrento), then you want to totally avoid renting a car. Traffic is horrendous and parking is scarce and expensive.

You say you have 10 days. Assuming the 10 days include travel days (one to get to Italy and another to get back to NY), you really have 8 days "on the ground." If you are interested in Pompeii, you could stay in Sorrento for a few days, so you can see Pompeii, Herculaneum, Naples, etc. Then you could spend the remainder of your time someplace on the Amalfi Coast and take day trips via ferry or bus from your base. I prefer Positano as, IMO, it is the most picturesque of the villages on the Amalfi Coast. But others prefer Amalfi. Cruise some guidebooks and decide which appeals to you.

At this point, lodging availability may be a deciding factor. August is the highest of the high season. Most places have been booked for months, some for nearly a year.

3. Re: Southern Italy

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 June 2015, 05:17