We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sentiero degli Dei

Which Positano hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Port Alberni, Canada
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
Sentiero degli Dei

Going to be there in July.

Sorry this is kind of a stupid question :)- I just wanted to know how dangerous is this trail (how narrow is it?).

Peter

Scranton...
Level Contributor
492 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sentiero degli Dei

It's not especially narrow, and it's not like you're teetering on the edge of a cliff, if that's what you mean. You can stay well away from the edge if you like. Portions of it are fairly rough, with some clambering up and down rocks (particularly if you take the "upper path" at Colle della Serra).

Twisting an ankle is probably far more likely than falling off the trail.

That being said, when we walked the trail from Bomerano to Nocelle in late May, we came across three tourists along the way. They were hanging out at the overlook for Positano, so we went ahead further down the trail to sit on a rock and have a picnic lunch.

A short time later, the male member of the trio came running down the trail at a furious pace, and blew right past us, without the other members of his party. When the next hiker passed, we asked him if something had occurred further up the trail...he told us a woman had hurt her leg, and her husband was running to Nocelle for help.

I contacted emergency services on my cell, and gave them the trail marker, then went back to see if I could assist. Indeed, one of the woman had stepped badly and dislocated her knee...she was completely incapacitated, and couldn't even be moved into the shade. I offered water and food, but they were well supplied, so my wife and I continued toward Nocelle.

A short time later, we ran into the husband, returning up the trail, and let him know that help was on the way. He meanwhile had run into a guide on the trail, who also called for help.

When we were exiting the trail at Nocelle about an hour later, we ran into three emergency services personnel heading up the trail with a backboard. I was curious how they could possibly carry the injured woman back down over such rough terrain. I was told that they would stabilize her, and call for a helicopter extraction.

The story isn't meant to frighten you from the trail...it's really breathtaking, and many hikers travel it each day without incident. Just be prepared with sturdy shoes, a hiking stick if you need one, water, and food. Keep track of where you are, and avoid it if the weather looks iffy (it can be very slick when wet). It is rough terrain in spots, but not really dangerous. The problem is that if you DO get into trouble, it can take a fair amount of time for help to arrive.

2. Re: Sentiero degli Dei

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 13 June 2014, 03:50
Edited: 13 June 2014, 03:50
3. Re: Sentiero degli Dei

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 13 June 2014, 03:50
Edited: 13 June 2014, 03:50
Scranton...
Level Contributor
492 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sentiero degli Dei

I uploaded some photos of our hike to give you a better idea of what to expect. You can find them on my Flickr page at https:/…

chicago
Level Contributor
33 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sentiero degli Dei

Highly recommend! The day I ended up doing it was a national holiday so ended up paying 80 euro for private transfer from hotel in Ravello to Bomerano but totally worth it as it saved tons of time ( reduced bus schedule). Definitely bring trekking shoes or even better hiking boots if possible as you will get more ankle support. I didn't feel it was too dangerous but the views were sensational... One of the highlights of the trip for sure! Not sure where you are staying but once at the end in Positano you can take a ferry back to Amalfi, if you are staying in that area. It took me 3 hours, I did not stop for lunch but took plenty of stops to take in all the views,

ischia
Level Contributor
978 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sentiero degli Dei

It's not dangerous at all... Go and enjoy....

7. Re: Sentiero degli Dei

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2015, 05:16