We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurant, bar and cafe recommendations for a birthday week

London, United...
Level Contributor
98 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurant, bar and cafe recommendations for a birthday week

Hi Trip Advisor folks

I am visiting Positano for the first time at the end of this month. I arrive on a Saturday and leave on the Tuesday. The Monday is my birthday.

What would everyone recommend in that that 4 day time frame with regards to restaurants, cafes & bars. I love my food and wine. They don't have to be OTT romantic as I will be there with my best friend - although by looks of it, eveyrwhere in Posi looks romantic! - but ideally a view would be good and ideas for somewhere I can just stop for a glass of vino, or a bellini, a bowl of olives and a spot of people watching as I wonder round Positano and explore. Can be dressy or casual, not sure what the dress code is in Posi but I suspect most places are quite chic.

A special venue recommendation would be welcome for my birthday dinner - I was thinking La Sirenuse restaurant? Somewhere a bit special.

So please share with me views and experiences and I look forward to hearing from you soon

:)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,138 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurant, bar and cafe recommendations for a birthday week

No, most places in the heat and height of summer are not "chic" - it is a bit of a fallacy. At the higher end restaurants, of which there really are not many, nicer casual will suffice.

La Sponda is very special (expensive and beautiful) as is the terrace for a drink - the most high end in the town itself; you may want to consider going to dinner or for drinks at Il San Pietro but that will involve a taxi - maybe about 5 or 10 minutes - quite beautiful.

I suggest looking through the many threads on Positano for answers to this exact question

Portland, OR
Destination Expert
for Positano
Level Contributor
6,463 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurant, bar and cafe recommendations for a birthday week

I just returned from a week in Pos and for our "splurge" we went to Il San Pietro and had Bellini on the terrace at sunset, which we do every year.

We always love dinner at Tre Sorelle on the beach, for the great grilled seafood and the people watching!

We tried Lo Guaracino (located on the walkway to Fornillo Beach) and really enjoyed it. Great views of the sea and Fornillo Beach and good food, including pizza.

Our favorite meal, and experience, was dinner at Hotel Le Sirene on Laurito Beach. They send a boat to pick you up at the dock in Positano, and it is a short ride (10 minutes) to the hotel. We were seated on their large terrace, with a view of the sea and the sun setting over Positano. We had a great, reasonably-priced, dinner and wine and then a lovely moonlit ride back to Pos. The wife of the owner said they will send a boat for anyone who wants to have dinner - you don't have to stay there and it doesn't cost extra! Just give them a call to reserve. 089811580.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,138 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurant, bar and cafe recommendations for a birthday week

Engred: I'm so glad you finally made it to Le Sirene - I had such a special time there. Glad you enjoyed it!

Sounds like you had a wonderful time - as usual. Glad you liked Lo Guaracino too - for some reason, it took me many visits there before I finally went there (no reason why) and I too really liked it.

To the OP: the restaurant at Hotel Pupetto on its large, expansive terrace looking straight out to the sea is also very good - it is at the smaller Il Fornillo beach, a quick walk along the sea from the main beach - (my personal favorite beach between the two right in Positano)

Happy Birthday!

Portland, OR
Destination Expert
for Positano
Level Contributor
6,463 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurant, bar and cafe recommendations for a birthday week

MC - glad I finally made it to Le Sirene too! The food was much, much better than I expected, the terrace very charming and the moonlit boat ride back to Pos was unbeatable. I can now spend afternoons at Da Adolfo and evenings at Le Sirene! :-)

Funny story about Lo Guaracino. Before and after dinner each night, we usually sit on our terrace and have wine. Last year, each night about 7:00 an older Italian couple would walk by our terrace along the path into the "woods" below and we would exchange greetings. Then about 11:00, they would walk by our terrace going the other direction and we would exchange a "Buona Notte". We had no idea where they would go and what they would do, so we imagined all sorts of scenarios. Same thing happened this year, except they were preceeded by a younger guy who never exchanged greetings with us.

So we finally make it to Lo Guaracino, and a young guy brings us water and says "We are neighbors!" I gave him a quizzacle look and he said "You girls drink wine on your terrace and we walk buy every day. We live in the apartment 2 floors above you! The landlord that you rent from is our cousin!" Turns out he and his parents work at (maybe run?) the restaurant and each night they were taking a shortcut to/from work! The mother later came over and said the same thing and was laughing at how late we "American Ragazzi" stay up!

Edited: 03 July 2014, 15:36
Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
1 post
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurant, bar and cafe recommendations for a birthday week

My husband and I ate every night at Il Capitano Restaurant at the Hotel Montemare on Via Pasitea 119. Delicious food, gorgeous views and friendly service. Tortino de melanzane, fresh fish, and pumpkin ravioli with clams were some of the dishes we tried and loved. Thought menu was well priced for the quality. Reserve a table by the terrace railing around sunset and enjoy. Dress is casual (not sloppy). The ambience is good for everyone--couples, family and friends. Happy birthday!

London, United...
Level Contributor
98 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurant, bar and cafe recommendations for a birthday week

Belated thanks to all for your restaurant recommendations, will look into them all. Grazi mille :)

Portland, OR
Destination Expert
for Positano
Level Contributor
6,463 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurant, bar and cafe recommendations for a birthday week

Have a great trip Annabel!

8. Re: Restaurant, bar and cafe recommendations for a birthday week

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2015, 11:16