We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ferry to Salerno

Which Positano hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
952 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Ferry to Salerno

Just booked the ferry to Salerno for our train to Rome.

After completing the booking it gives us a baggage restriction similar to hand luggage on an aircraft.

Since we will be on a 2 week holiday our baggage will be around 10kg over and our bags will be bigger. It says our luggage will be subject to "ticketing" !!

Does anyone have any experience on this matter ?

Many thanks

Portland, OR
Destination Expert
for Positano
Level Contributor
6,177 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ferry to Salerno

When I rode the ferry from Salerno to Positano in June, the guy who sold me my ticket at the ticket booth asked if I had luggage and I showed him the overnight bag I was carrying (carry-on size) and he just waived me through. Then when I got to the ferry, the same thing happened. The passengers who had larger bags had to show an extra ticket and they were directed to go to a different part of the ferry where they could put their bags.

I wouldn't worry about it. If they made you get a special ticket for your luggage to board, the ticket office is just 50 feet from the ferry.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
148 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ferry to Salerno

We travelled from Positano to Salerno by ferry last week. When we bought our tickets, they asked if we had any luggage (we had two large suitcases). They looked at our suitcases and charged us extra for them. I can't remember how much exactly, but it wasn't a large sum. They didn't direct us to an area to sit, but the ferry wasn't overly busy at 10 am, so we parked our luggage beside us on the bench seating.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
31,943 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ferry to Salerno

When you book online with http://www.travelmar.it/it/booking/step3 you get first the selection of the departure (date and time) and no. of persons, then when you have made your selection, the price per person (€12), then a page "supplementi" showing prices of €1.50 per bag and €3 per domestic animal: so normally this is to be included in the payment at the time of booking.

Clicking on the "i" next to the amount of €1.50 tells you what are considered as bags requiring a ticket, which are those exceeding the allowance of 1 piece per passenger measuring 50x30x30 cm and weighing 10 kg. You will also find this in the "Regolamento": http://www.travelmar.it/it/regolamento under item 4 "BAGAGLI"

Btw (rodin) the Regolamento also expressly forbids placing bags on seats, which are intended for passengers.

Edited: 28 July 2014, 21:27
Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
952 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ferry to Salerno

Thanks for the replies

When we booked we did pay the extra 1.50 Euro per back but our bags are bigger than what is stated and will be over the 10kg that's allowed..

Will we have to pay another full fare for our bags ?

Thanks

Portland, OR
Destination Expert
for Positano
Level Contributor
6,177 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ferry to Salerno

You will be fine. I have taken the ferry several times and have never seen them weigh the luggage.

montreal
Level Contributor
1,297 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ferry to Salerno

I thought ferry tickets could not be purchased online and only at docks? when i go to the link mentioned above there are two locations in Salerno at the partenza slot. all i know is we are going from Rome termini to Salerno. does it matter which one i chose?

Edited: 29 July 2014, 11:50
montreal
Level Contributor
1,297 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ferry to Salerno

ok now i am freaking out. i just called travelmar and the boat ride we were suppose to take at 13:10 from salerno to positano has been cancelled. we cannot make the prev one at 11:40 so next one avail is 14:10. are they the only company? i was trying to avoid taking a bus.

montreal
Level Contributor
1,297 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ferry to Salerno

one last question which i should have asked lady at travelmar. if i purchase tickets for the 14:10 ferry ride does that guarantee my spot on the ferry or can i be bumped off from people waiting in line. in other words do they respect prepurchased tickets before they load ferry with people waiting in line?

Scranton...
Level Contributor
490 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ferry to Salerno

There is no guarantee, but you won't have a problem. The boat fits a lot of people, don't be concerned.

I've seldom (never?) seen the 13:10 listed as in operation...it doesn't even show up as a choice on the CoopSantAndrea website. (CoopSantAndrea is the consortium of the various operators of boats along the Amalfi coast, Travelmar is a member).

The boat you would be interested in will be leaving from Salerno Concordia, which is an easy walk straight down the hill from the train station in Salerno. You'll hand in your pre-purchase voucher at the ticket office, and you'll be given the appropriate tickets, or you can buy them directly at the ticket office.

Edited to mention: Any boat can be cancelled at any time if the sea conditions are particularly rough, so have a backup plan ready for the bus, "just in case".

Edited: 29 July 2014, 15:06
montreal
Level Contributor
1,297 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ferry to Salerno

Thanks Mr Zukini (thats such a funny name!!!!!) i wonder if they refund our money if boats are cancelled?

Edited: 29 July 2014, 15:27