We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Positano-Sorrento-Herculaneum and Mt Vesuvius

Which Positano hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
18 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Positano-Sorrento-Herculaneum and Mt Vesuvius

I am researching a day trip from Positano to visit Herculaneum and Mt Vesuvius hike to top. I think I have the Circumvesuviana route from Sorrento to Ercolano Scavi and back again down, but it's the transpo from Positano to Sorrento to catch that train and Sorrento back to Positano late afternoon that is difficult to find. I would prefer to take a ferry both ways if possible but this may not be an opportunity (date of day trip would be first few days/weekend in October 2014). The SITA bus may allow for more flexibility?

has anyone done this as a day trip traveling this way? Is this a lot to ask for a day trip?

Bergen County, New...
Level Contributor
3,638 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Positano-Sorrento-Herculaneum and Mt Vesuvius

Yes, this is a lot to ask for from a day-trip.

As you have discovered, Positano is a very poor location from which to tour Pompeii or Herculaneum. Unless you can afford a taxi or private car transfer part of the way, you are stuck with the bus. An important difference from the ferry is that the bus stops right at the Sorrento Circumvesuviana station. The bus can be so crowded that you will not get on the first one that comes, but there are not enough posts here about whether things are less crowded in October.

Pompeii was buried by the volcano, but the volcano is not adjacent. You may be forced to evaluate the weather and time when you finally get to either of the two Circumvesuviana sites and see the mini-busses that take you to the mountain, where you have a one-hour, each direction, walk. You will probably need to cut out one of your three hopes, so research carefully what you want to do the most. Note also that unlike Pompeii, Herculaneum is a 15-minute walk from the rail station.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
38,736 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Positano-Sorrento-Herculaneum and Mt Vesuvius

Here's boat schedule - choose Positano and Sorrento from the drop down menu above right to see the schedule but I don't think it would really work for such a long day:

http://www.coopsantandrea.com

Take the SITA bus to Sorrento - very very early in the day to try to avoid the crowds; try to get that bus from the La Sponda bus stop in Positano as it will be the first stop (of two) in Positano (bus will be coming from Amalfi) - if you go to the second bus stop, the bus may well be too full to even stop there (not uncommon to happen)

It's not a great place for this type of day - I'd either try to see these sites before or upon departure from Positano -

3. Re: Positano-Sorrento-Herculaneum and Mt Vesuvius

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 August 2015, 06:15