We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Rental in Positano

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
4 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Car Rental in Positano

Hi

What are my best options to get Car rental in Positano? I will need to leave the car in Rome a week later. I've found it hard to search for car rentals in Positano with the big companies. I've heard they can drop the cars into Positano. Is this true? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Fabio

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,409 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Rental in Positano

Positano is very tiny - very tiny; there are no car rental companies. You could rent in Salerno, Naples or possibly in Sorrento (though I am not sure about Sorrento).

I don't know if a rental car company will deliver a car - from Naples, it would take 1.5 hours, over that from Salerno and how would the car company driver return to the city from which they came? But, ask anyway, of course.

I would suggest check Autoeurope - I would also suggest considering if you really need a car there. It is horribly expensive for parking and driving - in high season - if you are going before the end of October - is sitting a lot in traffic on the road. The best way to get around the area is by boat, if possible. Again, if you go before the end of the October (the end of high season).

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
4 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Rental in Positano

Thanks for the reply. Looks like we will get a car in Sorrento when we are leaving. There are better car options from Naples but its another transfer we don't want,

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
3 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Rental in Positano

There is a car rental company in Positano. La Mammola Car Service. We've hired cars on two occasions and they are great. They also do transfers and tours.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,409 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Rental in Positano

They say nothing about renting cars on their website - which is odd if they do. Can you rent there and return the car somewhere else or do you need to return it back to Positano?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,409 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Car Rental in Positano

Out of curiosity and because it seems like it would be nice to have a car rental company in Positano, I emailed to ask them about their rental cars and this was their response to me:

Dear [ ]

we are a taxi company we rent a car with the driver

we are open all year

warm Regards

La Mammola Team

So, according to them, no rental cars to individuals - I am disappointed as it would be cool in off season to be able to rent a car for the day -

Positano
Destination Expert
for Positano
Level Contributor
1,077 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car Rental in Positano

I found this site but have never used them. www.rentacarpositano.com/-en-Rent_a_car-2

I am sure that there is alsoa new service where one can hire an eletric car in town towards the central Mulini area but cannot remember the name. It started this year.

Barrie
Level Contributor
31 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car Rental in Positano

Salerno has several car rental companies you can use. You can call their international numbers to rent them and most will deliver to your hotel or rental villa. The cars are all standard driving and you will need an international drivers license unless your dates are in Roman Numerals

Try the 1-800 phone numbers you can find on the internet for Hertz, Alamo or Europcar.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
87,464 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car Rental in Positano

Envigorate

This thread has been dead since August. Why have you dug it up?

And, for the record, drivers need an International Driving Permit (not license) if their driving license is issued by a country outside the EU. The way the date is shown is irrelevant.

9. Re: Car Rental in Positano

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 16 December 2014, 11:35
Sudbury, Canada
Level Contributor
1 post
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Car Rental in Positano

Some people can be critical but dare not criticize them!! Present and past have now spoken!