We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Amalfi Coast Vacation Sept 2007

hillsborough, nj
Level Contributor
59 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Amalfi Coast Vacation Sept 2007

My husband and I are going to be a celebrating our 20 year wedding anniversary in Sept 2007. We would love to go tothe Amalfi Coast particularly Positano, Sorrento and Capri . We dont want to go on a tour that has you on a bus and touring other area were not interested in .Can anyone offer any reputable tour company's that will do airfare, tranfers, and hotel accomadations I already have 2 hotels in mind . The IL San Pietro in Positano and the Caesar Augustus in Capri. Also is the weather good that time of year. I'm really having a hard time getting a package put together that is somewhat resonable I understand that the American dollar is week. Any advice will be appreciated I find the travelers on Trip Advisor to be knowledgeable.

san francisco, ca
Level Contributor
53 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Amalfi Coast Vacation Sept 2007

We were in Positano last September. It rained (poured) for 5 of our 8 days however we still had a blast. Personally, I would book your own hotels & flights. Hire Johnny's Tour service to drive you around for tours including transfers, excluding Capri where you will take a ferry. We also hired a boat with driver to tour the coast and Capri's grottos for the day. Loved it. Also water taxi's & ferries to Sorrento for day tours. Check out Palazzo Sasso in Ravello. Gorgeous. Positano is a great base for touring the area.

Important to book your hotels immediately to get your first choice, September is still busy.

Happy to give more details if you are interested. Johnny's was reliable, honest, etc., at the time, the least expensive.

www.johnnystourservice.com

Lucibello boat rental in Positano (middle of the main beach, can't miss their tent).

http://www.palazzosasso.com/

charlotte
Level Contributor
10 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Amalfi Coast Vacation Sept 2007

I spend several months a year in Positano and would agree that it is best to base yourself there and then do day trips to Capri, Sorrento, Ravello, Pompeii etc. I remember my first trip in 1995. Like most Americans I did the "1 night, 2 night, 3 nights in each town" I spent most of my time packing and unpacking and travelling. Everything is really easy to coordinate from Positano. You can take ferries and taxis and buses to everywhere. That way you have a "home" for the time you are there. It is more relaxing this way. September is a great time to come but it does get booked up. I also would suggest that you do your own booking. Tour companies are not always the best way to go. There is a direct flight from NY to Naples these days. I think the company is Eurofly. Those hotels are both lovely. Although San Pietro is just outside of Positano, which means that you will take their shuttle back and forth into town. Let me know if you need specific recommendations.

cheshire, england
Level Contributor
6,006 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Amalfi Coast Vacation Sept 2007

Hi,

Positano does make a good base but in some ways I think Sorrento is a better one. We stayed in both towns last year and loved every minute. However, if the dollar is still struggling, you'll get a lot more for your money in Sorrento. We found the prices of drinks, meals, gelato etc. to be on average around 30% less expensive than in Positano. Just something to bear in mind....

You can reach everything easily from Sorrento and the town itself is much flatter and easier to get around. I must say, though, that my husband is partly disabled, so that probably contributes to our overall opinion.

We did both prefer the evening atmosphere in Sorrento.

Whatever you decide on, you'll love it, I'm sure!!

California
Level Contributor
613 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Amalfi Coast Vacation Sept 2007

No need to work with a tour company. That just sounds horrible, you can do this all on your own and not be tied down to some lady lady screaming in a bull horn!! You picked two great hotels. But something to think about. The San Pietro is at least 20 minutes outside of town. It is a beautiful hotel, incredible views and unique in its setting. But it is not in Positano and by staying there I found you lose alot of the Positano experience. You must use there shuttle to get back and forth, that while easy to use, you definetly lose lots of spontenaity (spelling?!!). I loved staying in town, having the privacy of my room and hotel and also having town right outside the door whenever you want to wander around, go out for an pre-dinner drink, wander to a restaurant and then be able to go someplace else for a night cap or desert and not have to worry about how to get back to the hotel. I would explore the Le Sirunese in positano as a comparison to the Pietro.

We spent 3 nights in Capri. I thought that was plenty. I believe the Augustus is in Anacapri, which is up the mountain from Capri. It is nice but much quieter than Capri center. That is not a negative, but you will also be dealing with a bus to get you from Capri to go back up to Anacapri. I think this is less a negative than the San Pietro vs. Positano separation.

Most importantly, forget about the package tour. Fly into Rome or if you want fly to Naples and go from there to the Amalfi Coast and then Capri or whatever your order is. If you fly into rome, hire a car to drive you down or rent a car. We did that, stopped in Pompeii on the way down and then went onto Positano. The drive is easy and we used the car to go to Ravello, etc without having to deal with a bus.

If you are looking to save some money. You could check out other hotels in Positano, like the Eden Roc, Marincanto, Le Agavi, Hotel Ancora, etc.

Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
18 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Amalfi Coast Vacation Sept 2007

You can do everything yourself I would not use a tour company. A car service can take you everywhere and since most are from the area know the history and great hidden places to dine off the beaten path. Ther are several companies I currently use positano limo. service www.limoserive.net

I think both your hotel ideas are great but as somewrote San Pietro is a bit out to town ( and there is a shuttle service) but if privacy is what you want that is the place. Le Sirenuse is right in town which can be noisy

Caesar Augustus is where I stay when I need a break from Positano and do not want to be in Capri the view is the best on the island and you can take a shuttle when available or taxi to Capri

What a great place to go fro 20 years!!

Congrats

6. Re: Amalfi Coast Vacation Sept 2007

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 August 2009, 17:23