We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walking from Praiano to Positano/Amalfi?

Which Praiano hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
59 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
Walking from Praiano to Positano/Amalfi?

Hello,

Can anyone tell me if walking from Praiano to Amalfi or Positano is practical or even possible? I'm hoping there will be a lovely path running alongside the cliff base and waters edge but imagine it'll be more likely that walking along the road trying not to get squashed by cars is the only option.

thanks

Mandy

Saint Marys, Ohio
Level Contributor
8,140 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Walking from Praiano to Positano/Amalfi?

There is no path running along the sea or cliff base. Walking the road can be a real adventure. It's VERY narrow and busy. The tour buses, SITA buses, and other traffic often fill the road quite well. We take refuge in some of the stairs that run down from the road.

You need to be vigilant at all times. There are mirrors to see around the curves, and you need to hurry through the tunnels before some buses/cars come.

Another option is to rent a scooter. Or, you can take a water taxi to other towns also.

italybound@verizon.net

Boothbay, Maine
Level Contributor
72 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Walking from Praiano to Positano/Amalfi?

You might buy a copy of "Sunflower Guide Sorrento, Amalfi & Capri: Car Tours and Walks (Sunflower Guides)" which has some wonderful walks you can do in and around Positano, Praiano, Amalfi, etc. I used it 2 years ago when staying in Praiano. I'm returning this month and the book is packed. Enjoy!

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
59 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Walking from Praiano to Positano/Amalfi?

Thanks for the advice everyone, much appreciated!

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
42 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Walking from Praiano to Positano/Amalfi?

I just returned from the Amalfi coast. The best and safest to travel from town to town is the SITA bus or the ferry.

Umbria, Italy
Destination Expert
for Sunshine Coast, Umbria
Level Contributor
4,516 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Walking from Praiano to Positano/Amalfi?

Wot a load of wusses....just do the walk as its an eye opener and you get to peer into all the back yards and look at the perched homes....after you have done the Praiano to Posi walk jump the one euro bus back and consider wether you need to do the walk to amalfi as it is simular.

we also took the bus from Amalfi to Minori and walked back from there ... not quite as long as the other road walks.

Send me an email address via the Trip advisor message link and I will send you a triptological log of all the walking.

6. Re: Walking from Praiano to Positano/Amalfi?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 September 2009, 02:17