We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Why not drive from Rome airport to Praiano?

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, East End
Level Contributor
6,163 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Why not drive from Rome airport to Praiano?

I have read all the threads going back years and still am unsure. Everyone says take the train. It seems like a hassle to take a train from FCO to Termini and then another train to Naples then hire a drive to take your from Naples to our villa in Praiano.

We will have luggage and 4 people total. The villa has plenty of parking. I have no issues driving in Europe. The car hire is cheaper for the week (including fuel) then the trains and drivers etc. I will then have it should I want to use it when we are there for a week. If it sits parked for the week that is also fine.

What am I missing?

Thanks!

B.

Mentioned in this post
Naples
Naples
Province of Naples, Italy
Praiano
Praiano
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Europe
Europe
World
Coronado (San Diego)
Level Contributor
33 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Why not drive from Rome airport to Praiano?

B. and all,

Sorry to jump on this post but my family will also be going straight from Rome to Praiano in mid July.

(My husband will be teaching at the Naval Hospital in Naples but first the family will stay in Praiano for a few days. That would be my husband and I... and our six kids. That's correct, six kids, ages 10 to 26!) We'll later take a fast train to Venice so we'll get that experience soon enough, which we wanted.

Questions: After an flight from San Diego, arriving at 9 am on a Saturday morning, how would you all recommend getting this gaggle to Praiano? Intrigued by the driver that would take us straight from FCO to our destination. Is that even possible with so many of us? Any recommendations for drivers/services? if train, should we buy tickets ahead of time? And what would be a reasonable time to expect to be able to be through customs and made it to termini? Thanks! (First time to Italy except for husband!)

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Praiano
Praiano
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Naples
Naples
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Fiumicino Airport
Fiumicino Airport
Fiumicino, Italy
Italy
Italy
Europe
New South Wales...
Destination Expert
for Pompeii, Herculaneum, Naples
Level Contributor
9,100 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Why not drive from Rome airport to Praiano?

I've used this car service www.worldtours.it - from Postiano to Rome FCO - it cost 350 euros - so your journey is almost the same in reverse and should cost that amount as well. They have a large Mercedes van that would easily fit you all - and your luggage. Expensive but zero stress.

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
43,572 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Why not drive from Rome airport to Praiano?

I wouldn't buy train tickets in advance as you don't know whether your flight will be delayed and the discounted tickets are worthless if you don't catch that particular train. The time through immigration and baggage retrieval varies; it depends on how many flights have landed around the same time. I never checks bags anymore but when I was doing so on occasion, just getting my luggage has taken up to one hour but at other times, just about 20 minutes or so. You cannot predict.

I would think it will be about 2 hours (can be more) from wheels down at the airport to reach Termini. The Leonardo Express train to Termini takes 30 minutes and runs every 30 minutes. A taxi takes about 40 minutes - again, that will depend on traffic.

I use Guemar Travel - and have had them take me from Positano to Rome a few years ago after I had an accident in Positano. I personally find that drive dull and much prefer the very fast 70 minute train from Rome to Naples and then I have them pick me up at the Naples train station and take me to Positano. I have used them about 8 times - always reliable and terrific/safe drivers. info@guemartravel.com Do some comparison pricing to decide.

I imagine you will be tired and you might want to add up the costs of the train tickets, getting from FCO to Termini, etc and comparing that to the estimates you get for a private car from Rome. Personally, I would be surprised that a vehicle for 7 people will cost just 350 euros - they usually cost more than when there are 2 to 4 people just because it is a larger vehicle (more pricey usually), etc.

The drive from Rome will take about 3.5 to 4 hours (again, depending on traffic). The driver will stop for breaks when needed along the autostrada. I would estimate that you will probably be in Praiano about 5.5 hours after arrival in Rome - maybe longer.

Sounds like quite an adventure!

Mentioned in this post
Guemar Travel
Guemar Travel
614 Reviews
Sorrento, Italy
Positano
Positano
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Naples
Naples
Fiumicino Airport
Fiumicino Airport
Fiumicino, Italy
Praiano
Praiano
Amalfi Coast, Italy
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Why not drive from Rome airport to Praiano?

What about taking the train to Naples and then renting a car? Are there car rentals at the Naples train station the way there are in Rome?

Mentioned in this post
Naples
Naples
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Daytona Beach...
Level Contributor
3 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Why not drive from Rome airport to Praiano?

We just got back from staying in Praiano at Villa Amanda. There is no way I would say the drive from Naples is anything but a crazy mess when you look at all of the curves. It takes a person who knows how to handle the tight curves with honking and flashing headlights. Tour buses are rampant and take extreme caution when passing. We hired Seahorse for our drives and Alfredo knows the road like the back of his hand. Some of the curves require backing up to let some one else drive through. It was only inches between our car's mirror and the other car or bus. Don't think of this as a normal Europe road trip. Do yourself a favor and hire a driver. Parking is expensive in Praiano and is never near where you need to be.The tourists are already there and jamming up the roads.

Mentioned in this post
Praiano
Praiano
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Naples
Naples
Alfredo
Alfredo
432 Reviews
Szklarska Poreba, Poland
Europe
Europe
World
Daytona Beach...
Level Contributor
3 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Why not drive from Rome airport to Praiano?

We just got back from staying in Praiano at Villa Amanda. There is no way I would say the drive from Naples is anything but a crazy mess when you look at all of the curves. It takes a person who knows how to handle the tight curves with honking and flashing headlights. Tour buses are rampant and take extreme caution when passing. We hired Seahorse for our drives and Alfredo knows the road like the back of his hand. Some of the curves require backing up to let some one else drive through. It was only inches between our car's mirror and the other car or bus. Don't think of this as a normal Europe road trip. Do yourself a favor and hire a driver. Parking is expensive in Praiano and is never near where you need it to be.The tourists are already there and jamming up the roads. Traffic backs up behind the slow drivers and they have to pull over and let people by, resulting in a honk fest. Hire Seahorse and enjoy the ride. Alfredo will take care of you and your family.

Mentioned in this post
Praiano
Praiano
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Naples
Naples
Alfredo
Alfredo
432 Reviews
Szklarska Poreba, Poland
Europe
Europe
World
Colorado
Level Contributor
1,526 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Why not drive from Rome airport to Praiano?

"What am I missing?"

The scenery.

We just got back from 9 days in Praiano and drove from Rome FCO. While we were not there in Peak Season, driving did require you to pay attention and learn to use the fisheye mirrors on the tight corners. You will also encounter the bus and back up issues previously mentioned. We had no problems with parking at our apartment. We used the car every day- Revello, Amalfi, Positano, Praia beach, etc. Unless you have great parallel parking skills, a small car and are willing to walk quite a distance you will pay for parking- @ 3.50 Euros per hour. I think your biggest problem is going to be finding a car that will hold luggage for 4. We had an Intermediate 4 door which had room for 2 suitcases in back- that's it. I think even a C Class Mercedes would be challenged by 4 cases.

Good Luck- let us know what you decide.

Miguel

Mentioned in this post
Praiano
Praiano
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Fiumicino Airport
Fiumicino Airport
Fiumicino, Italy
Amalfi
Amalfi
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Positano
Positano
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Texas
Level Contributor
1,485 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Why not drive from Rome airport to Praiano?

I don't think there is any problem with driving to Praiano from Rome and back - we have done it several times. (In fact we have done it all over Europe to get to different places.) Only a tiny part of that journey is on the coast road although that part will be slow. You say your villa has parking - so no problem there. With four of you (there are four of us), the time and hassle of using public transport from the Rome airport has always seemed overwhelming to us so we just hire a car. The problem is driving while you are there but I note you say in your original note that you are happy to leave the car parked during your stay and use other means of transport - we have done that as well and that's a fine.plan too.

Mentioned in this post
Praiano
Praiano
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Europe
Europe
World
Chicago
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, East End
Level Contributor
6,163 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Why not drive from Rome airport to Praiano?

Still leaning towards the car for many reasons. 4 people train tickets and a driver from Naples both ways is A LOT more expensive then renting a car. A private driver all the way is about $450 Euro each way. So with tip $1000 Euro round trip. My car rental will be maybe $400Euro total. It will be nice to just get off the plane throw our stuff in the car and get on the way instead of buying tickets taking 2 trains etc. I do not care about the scenery on the way down. I will be there for 2 weeks so will have plenty of time to see it. I also have no issue paying for parking if I need to use the car in Praiano and $3.50 Euro an hour is a bargain if you ask me. Cheaper than Chicago, NY or SF. Car size is a little bit of an issue but a C class will work. We just used one in Lisbon and had enough room. I have never had a issue with Hertz in Europe getting a car that works. I am sure the drive on the coast will be a challenge but I look forward to that. I just hope I don't get too lost finding the villa. :)

B.

Mentioned in this post
Naples
Naples
Praiano
Praiano
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Lisbon
Lisbon
Lisbon District, Portugal
Europe
Europe
World
Coronado (San Diego)
Level Contributor
33 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Why not drive from Rome airport to Praiano?

Thank you for being so kind as I jumped on this thread. Very helpful information. I have contacted both World Tours and Guermar Travel for further information. We're tempted to take the fast train to Naples and have a driver pick us up there but will see what the cost difference is. If we do take the train and don't have tickets ahead of time (makes perfect sense since we can't predict delays) might we have trouble getting seats on the fast train to Naples on a Saturday? We are beyond excited...thank you all again!

Mentioned in this post
Naples
Naples