We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Why not drive from Rome airport to Praiano?

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, East End
Level Contributor
5,276 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Why not drive from Rome airport to Praiano?

I have read all the threads going back years and still am unsure. Everyone says take the train. It seems like a hassle to take a train from FCO to Termini and then another train to Naples then hire a drive to take your from Naples to our villa in Praiano.

We will have luggage and 4 people total. The villa has plenty of parking. I have no issues driving in Europe. The car hire is cheaper for the week (including fuel) then the trains and drivers etc. I will then have it should I want to use it when we are there for a week. If it sits parked for the week that is also fine.

What am I missing?

Thanks!

B.

Chicago
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,276 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Why not drive from Rome airport to Praiano?

CorondaoGaggle -I have received quotes from Naples to Praiano for about $`150 Euros for 4 people in a private car if that helps. Enjoy!

B.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
40,062 posts
Save Reply
22. Re: Why not drive from Rome airport to Praiano?

Look at the train schedule - you will see there are plenty of trains on that route: www.trenitalia.com - use: Roma Termini and Napoli Centrale as the station names and put a low number like "6" in the box for the hour to get a full day schedule of trains.

The price for the car should really not (hopefully) be more than 120 euros for two people; I don't know how many are in your party.

Chicago
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,276 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Why not drive from Rome airport to Praiano?

My quotes were for 4 people so probably that is why they were a little more expensive.

B.

Edited: 04 June 2013, 23:50
Level Contributor
463 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Why not drive from Rome airport to Praiano?

Booyakasha1201 - gracias! Did you make your trip and did you drive? I'm going to drive in 2 weeks and make the same trip. It's only a 4 hour drive and I live in a very congested city where few miles can take me an hour so used to that. I also saw someone comment that you can potentially get free spots in praiano if you have good parallel parking skills and i have exceptional skills having lived in a very congested town. For me price is the big factor and I cannot take those expensive taxis and don't want to take so many trains and buses

Would love to hear from you

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
85,442 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Why not drive from Rome airport to Praiano?

According to www.viamichelin.com the drive from FCO airport to Priano will take about 6.5 hours of driving (plus stops) at a cost of €15.70 in tolls and about €75 in fuel.

You will find a parking spot in Priano in early September only if you have an angel guiding you.

Level Contributor
463 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Why not drive from Rome airport to Praiano?

I checked between my praiano hotel and rome hotel. I'm actually driving Florence - praiano - rome hotel

Praiano hotel to rome hotel is 3h59m with 2hr23m on motorways and only 90 mins on local roads. Toll 18.60 € | Petrol 43.18 €

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
40,062 posts
Save Reply
27. Re: Why not drive from Rome airport to Praiano?

Those are the nice fantasy driving times that do not take into account the often bumper to bumper traffic on the coastal drive. Just don't expect it to match those times and you won't be surprised. Last time I did Salerno to Positano it took over 1.5 hours longer than it was supposed to take - and that was at the end of September; traffic was hideous - lots of backing up and maneuvering to let buses pass coming in the opposite direction, etc. We parked and left it for the full time we were there - too unpleasant to deal with and this is from someone who actually loves driving that beautiful road.

If you have more realistic expectations, then you won't get frustrated when it takes longer than you have figured out.

Level Contributor
463 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Why not drive from Rome airport to Praiano?

Got it

btw, why is parking around praiano so difficult? Is it because the whole coastal road is just one road without any side roads at all? Are all the houses, restaurants, shops on this one long road?

Thx

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
85,442 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Why not drive from Rome airport to Praiano?

Have a look at it on Google Maps. It is only a village and in season it is over-whelmed by the sheer number of people who want to visit.

30. Re: Why not drive from Rome airport to Praiano?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2014, 05:17