We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

From Rome to Praiano, Four "mature" adults need advice !

Which Praiano hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Baytown, Texas
5 posts
Save Topic
From Rome to Praiano, Four "mature" adults need advice !

Two couples, traveling from the US, staying in Rome a few days then on to a villa in Praiano.. Need the advice of those who have done it recently re the options, the prices, and reputable drivers and services, From Rome or Naples. And what about the train -to train-to SITA bus? Is that a nightmare? It was the route recommended in some guide . This is the part of the trip we are most concerned about. Getting to and from seems tricky. Everything else sounds fabulous. Sure glad to see the recent comments about travel.

Sorrento
Level Contributor
514 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: From Rome to Praiano, Four "mature" adults need advice !

Do not be concerned about this part of Italy, I am sure you will love a lot!

You can take a train to Naplse then another train to Sorrento, circumvesuviana, and then the bus to Praiano, Sita bus.

How many bags do you have?

A private driver will be eur 90.00 from Naples and Eur 370.00 from Rome. I suggest you to contact more than a driver to get a quote and to choose accordind their reply.

I can suggest Transferelax, info@transferelax.com. They are great.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Pompeii, Herculaneum, Naples
Level Contributor
8,413 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: From Rome to Praiano, Four "mature" adults need advice !

Hi CathyB

When you say 'mature' do you mean mature as in mobility problems and will that affect your choice of transport? Or are you just over dealing with public transport and want to relax and be driven, even though it costs more?

Easiest way is the high speed train to Naples and then have a driver pick you all up and take you to Praiano. Minimum of stress - but it will cost around 100-120 euros. I have used this company www.worldtours.it on numerous occasions and highly recommend them but there are many other companies in the region who do this route.

If you can afford it, don't mess with the train/bus option - just relax and do 'paper scissors rock' for who gets to sit on the right side of the vehicle as that has the best views of the Amalfi Coast!

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, East End
Level Contributor
5,033 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: From Rome to Praiano, Four "mature" adults need advice !

I have been looking and a private driver from Rome is more like 450 Euros for 4 people maybe more. A private driver from Naples for 4 is about 150 Euro

B.

Portland, OR
Destination Expert
for Positano
Level Contributor
6,005 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: From Rome to Praiano, Four "mature" adults need advice !

Another option is direct train from Rome to Salerno, then the ferry from Salerno to Positano, then taxi for the short ride from Positano to Praiano. Arriving via the sea is a wonderful way to see the Amalfi Coast!

New York
Level Contributor
2,326 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: From Rome to Praiano, Four "mature" adults need advice !

If you arrive Positano by sea you still need to walk all the way up through the village to the road to get a taxi to go to Priano. I assume luggage is involved?

The quickest and easiest way to Priano is 70 minute high speed train to Naples from Rome with driver waiting for you at station to drive you directly to your villa.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,111 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: From Rome to Praiano, Four "mature" adults need advice !

They could instead arrive via ferry to Amalfi and from there it is an easy walk of just a few minutes (flat ground) to get a taxi or even the bus to Praiano. That is what I would do - no reason to take the ferry all the way over to Positano and then climb up through the village for a taxi - not with luggage. That would be challenging and unnecessary.

Saint Marys, Ohio
Level Contributor
8,155 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: From Rome to Praiano, Four "mature" adults need advice !

The easiest way is to take the fast train from Rome to Naples, 70 minutes, and book a private driver to meet you in Napoli Centrale. We always use driveamalfi@hotmail.com They'll meet you on the platform, an English speaking driver, load your luggage into a Mercedes minivan, and drive you to your villa in Praiano for about 110 euros for up to 4 people. Easy, fast, safe, convenient, and all you do is relax for the 90 minute drive to your villa. We've done it many times.

Baytown, Texas
5 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: From Rome to Praiano, Four "mature" adults need advice !

Thanks so much for sharing. Your ideas and suggestions really helped us. We decided to get a driver to pick us up in Napoli We will save a trip on the SITA bus for a day with no luggage and no time constraints.

9. Re: From Rome to Praiano, Four "mature" adults need advice !

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 June 2014, 05:18