We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Praiano in three weeks, looking for suggestions

Pittsford, New York
1 post
Save Topic
Praiano in three weeks, looking for suggestions

My wife and I will be visiting the Amalfi coast for our anniversary in May and staying in Praiano. I wanted to post our rough itinerary and see if anyone had any suggestions, comments or recommendations. This will be our first time in Italy and while there are a few things we want to do, we’d rather err on the side of relaxation, as opposed to overextending ourselves.

After a quick 24 hours in Rome, we’ll be arriving in Praiano Friday evening on May 9th and staying at Hotel Margherita until Wednesday the 14th. We will be taking the train from Rome and arrive in Naples around 5pm where a private driver will take us to the hotel. We’ll probably eat at the hotel and relax Friday night, maybe do a little exploring.

Relax and explore Praiano for the morning/afternoon. Saturday evening we are considering taking a guided walking tour of Positano from 5-7:30 with Zia Lucy. We’d probably stay in Positano for dinner that night.

We don’t have anything “booked” for these three days, but would like to do the following:

1) Walk the Path of the Gods. Any opinions as to whether we should go with a guide/group or do it ourselves? I’ve heard good things about the tour with Zia Lucy, so maybe if we enjoy our tour Saturday we’d book something with her for later in the week.

2) Rent a small boat, cruise along the coast and visit Capri. Has anyone done this? I’ve read there are some very reasonable rentals from Amalfi, 100-150 euro for the day + gas. One detail I have not read is where/how to dock in Capri. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Also, would it be less crowded if we visited Capri on Monday or Tuesday, as opposed to Sunday?

3) Take a day trip to visit Amalfi, Atrani and Rovello. Would we have any problems catching the bus from Amalfi to Rovello this time of year due to overcrowding? Has anyone walked down the path from Rovello to Amalfi?

Bum around Praiano for the morning and take a car to Naples, where we will spend the night and fly out the next morning.

In addition to any comments on our itinerary and answers to the questions above, we would appreciate any recommendations for restaurants. We prefer the local hole in the wall/off the beaten path places with terrific food, as opposed to the Michelin Star restaurants. My wife is gluten free, so if anyone has any insight as to where to go or stay away from it would be greatly appreciated. We are planning on hitting up Vivaro Wine Bar, but that is about it.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
92 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Praiano in three weeks, looking for suggestions

The Sibilla Caffe has great gelato & is well located for a coffee/cocktail/snack stop. The staff is very helpful if you need directions or advice on excursions. There's a good market nearby for stocking up on wine or other essentials to take back to your room.

I liked the pizza at Trattoria San Gennaro quite a bit.

Once we stumbled upon Vivaro's we returned there for several meals, staying until it was time to call it a night. That was a few years ago, I hope it hasn't changed.

Bar Le Fioriere is great for cocktails particularly right as the sun sets or after.

Depending on what time you finish up dinner in Positano & are ready to return to Praiano you might need to take a taxi to get back. Just be sure to check how late the Sita bus runs in the evening so there are no surprises. Absolutely take the internal Flavio Gioia bus to/From Positano whenever possible. It's a much better ride than the Sita.

Have fun! I'm returning to Praiano in October for my honeymoon. I love love love that little town.

Saint Marys, Ohio
Level Contributor
8,575 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Praiano in three weeks, looking for suggestions

You'll love Praiano and Hotel Margherita! Small town, no crowds, several very good restaurants. We like to eat dinner at Hotel Margherita; very good.

The buses run from Amalfi to Ravello frequently; you won't have a problem getting on one.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Praiano in three weeks, looking for suggestions

My husband and me are arriving from Chicago to Praiano the same day May 9 and we are staying in the same hotel Marherita

3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Praiano in three weeks, looking for suggestions

Well , don't miss at least a drink at Le Fioriere Bar ( Voce e Notte Grill and Sunset Bar ) great drinks , amazing view probably the View of the amalfi coast , and the chance to have an unusual dinner with BBQ absolutely a must

Amalfi Coast
9 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Praiano in three weeks, looking for suggestions

I rented a boat once and made it half way to capri, it was miserable and the seas weren't that bad. Remember, these boats are small, I recommend jumping on the ferry, more relaxing.

Arusha, Tanzania
Level Contributor
18 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Praiano in three weeks, looking for suggestions

Vivaro tops, the walk of the Gods is a good call, we did Ravello to Atrani yesterday and enjoyed it. Bus to Amalfi and Ravello is manageable! La Fioreire cocktails and view fantastic.

Penzance, United...
10 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Praiano in three weeks, looking for suggestions

You should definatley consider a day trip to the Isle of Capri. We used Amalfi Sails and they picked us up and took us on a ride along the amalfi coast and then to Capri. Prices are also reasonable and the service is great.

Check them out www.amalfisails.com

8. Re: Praiano in three weeks, looking for suggestions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 May 2015, 05:15