We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel Rome to Praiano

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
55 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Travel Rome to Praiano

My husband and I are travelling from Rome to Praiano in September in the early afternoon.

Our choices are to train from Rome to Naples, our hotel is near Termini Station, (E40-60 each). And then get a shared shuttle with Seahorse Car Service to Hotel Margherita (E35 each).

The other option is to get a shared shuttle from our hotel in Rome with Seahorse (E90 each).

It appears to me that the shuttle from Rome is the best option as the cost is about the same. Has anyone used this option? how long does it take? pros and cons. Many thanks for your help.

Portland, OR
Destination Expert
for Positano
Level Contributor
6,493 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Travel Rome to Praiano

mtvr, that is correct! You can purchase the tickets for both trains (Leonardo Express and Trenitalia) at the airport. That will save you having to buy tickets at Termini.

As to Briargrove's suggestion of renting a car, that is generally a terrible idea if you are traveling during the busy season. Traffic on the AC is horrendous most of the time and parking is scarce (or nonexistent) and expensive.

Whitby, Ontario
Level Contributor
118 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Travel Rome to Praiano

Engred,

Thank you. That's great to know that we can purchase everything at the airport and be done with it.

Yes, agree with you regarding driving on the Amalfi coast. Did a day trip from the Port of Naples to Sorrento, Amalfi and Positano on our cruise with an experienced driver and was so grateful we did not have to drive those narrow roads in the mountain going round and round. Yikes!!

JPWhite2014, sorry for the intrusion on your original post.

Orange County...
Destination Expert
for Amalfi Coast
Level Contributor
2,321 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Travel Rome to Praiano

JP: did you check with Suela at Hotel Margherita regarding a private car? She arranged one for us when we were a party of 4 and I want to say it was 350 euro from FCO to the hotel. If you are coming off an intl flight it is worth considering even though a dull drive most of the way but you will be dozing if indeed coming from a 10+ hour flight. We did it with first-timer friends who were grateful for the ease of it after a nonstop from Los Angeles.

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
55 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Travel Rome to Praiano

Thanks for your reply pnaj. We are in Rome for 2 nights and will train to Naples and then take a shared shuttle with Seahorse - E35 each. We are from NZ so will have 2 x 13 hr flights to get to Italy! But very excited :)

Tamarisk
8 posts
Save Reply
25. Re: Travel Rome to Praiano

We are paying €130 for the 4 of us from Naples Station to the Casa Angelina

Auckland, New...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
26. Re: Travel Rome to Praiano

We are also travelling from Rome to Praiano early September. We have booked a train from Rome to Naples and then thought we would just get the local train to Sorrento and then a bus to Praiano. Has anyone following this post travelled via this option before?

Orange County...
Destination Expert
for Amalfi Coast
Level Contributor
2,321 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Travel Rome to Praiano

The Circumvesuviana train from Naples to Sorrento ends at Sorrento where you will catch the SITA bus outside the station, down the steps. Beware, there may be a line. Alert the driver if you have luggage so that it can be stowed in the luggage compartment below the passenger compartment. You will take the bus headed to Amalfi. Do you know the stop you'll need in Praiano? It is a fine way to travel although the bends in the road are more pronounced on the bus so if you are prone to motion sickness try to sit as far forward as possible in the cab, and depending on time of year and time of day the buses can be full to capacity.

Auckland, New...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
28. Re: Travel Rome to Praiano

Great - thanks so much for that pnaj. I will check with our hotel in Praiano what the closest stop would be.

Thanks again.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
23 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Travel Rome to Praiano

We are also travelling from Rome to Praiano in July. I am having the same trouble trying to decide what to do. This information from everyone has been very helpful to me. I think maybe train is a good option first.

Thanks everyone

Sharon

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
55 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: Travel Rome to Praiano

Hi Sharon. We trained from Rome to Naples then a shared shuttle to Praiano. It worked perfectly and was well worth the E70 for the shuttle. We had pre-booked our shared shuttle transfers (6 months earlier from NZ) with Seahorse and they were waiting (with a sign) at the end of the train platform. I highly recommend this option. Happy travels.

Get answers to your questions about Praiano