We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Short notice Montalbano tour

Northumberland...
Level Contributor
3 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Short notice Montalbano tour

Hi,

I've made a spontaneous decision to go take my husband to southern Sicily for about a week sometime during the first 2 weeks in May, because he's such a Montalbano fan.

Because it is such short notice, I'd really appreciate some suggestions/advice about a possible itinerary and places to stay (not too expensive, and preferably with a nice view). We are generally interested in local culture, history, wine, walks (especially spring colours), geoegraphy and music, so would like to include those.

Unfortunately, we do not speak Italian and are not young, so are not keen to drive in Sicily and would be looking to use public transport and/or a good guide. So, help is needed please!

I note that a company called "Discovering Sicily" offers a tour. Is it reliable?

Thanks in advance for anyone kind enough to respond.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
99,125 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Short notice Montalbano tour

Welcome to Sicily Lucie-Anne - Spontaneous can be the best and what a special treat for your husband!! :-)

Fly to Catania!

Although you would best appreciate hiring a car for the Montalbano areas, you could base in Ragusa or Scicli and take a tour of the Montalbano filming locations. This area isn’t difficult to drive should you change your mind about the car hire.

You might consider an organised tour with these two very reputable companies to maximise your experiences.

sicilytourguides.net/Montalbano_locations-to…

tourofsicily.com/Sicily_Film_Locations.htm

These threads discuss all things Montalbano.....

Montalbano places :):

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187886-i343-k4253…

Deserted streets:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187886-i343-k3274…

Il giovane Montalbano - The young Montalbano:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187886-i343-k5181…

You might also stay at La Casa di Montalbano B&B at Via A. Moro, 44 - Punta Secca - fraz. di S. Croce C.- Ragusa. There was filming at Punta Secca from 3- 7 April.

http://www.lacasadimontalbano.com/

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g2251274-d65352…

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g1005933-d23160…

Best wishes!

Vagabonda

Northumberland...
Level Contributor
3 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Short notice Montalbano tour

Hi Vagabonda,

You are AMAZING! I love your quick, comprehensive and thoughtful reply and am already following up your suggestions.

Many thanks!

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
99,125 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Short notice Montalbano tour

Prego Lucie-Anne – It’s my pleasure!

You would find lovely (and reasonably priced) B&B options (Caelum Hyblae, B&B L'Orto sul Tetto, Le Fioriere Bed and Breakfast....) in Ragusa Ibla (near the piazza Duomo and Montalbano filming sites) or Scicli, as well as trattorie and osterie serving delicious local cuisine.

Interbus runs direct bus service from Aeroporto Catania to Ragusa.

http://www.interbus.it/Home.aspx

These earlier thread discuss public transport in the area, including Punta Secca.

What to see and where to stay?:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g194872-i4025-k529…

Catania to Ragusa quickest publlic transport route:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g194872-i4025-k531…

Regards,

Vagabonda

4. Re: Short notice Montalbano tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 08:40