We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How cliffy is the ride up/down to Ravello and how long does

Which Ravello hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ca.
Level Contributor
107 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
How cliffy is the ride up/down to Ravello and how long does

I am uncomfortable on mountainous cliffy roads, but don't want to miss what is obviously a beautiful place. Can you tell me how long it takes to do the trip and is the entire ride mountainous and cliffy?

Thank you

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
429 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How cliffy is the ride up/down to Ravello and how long does

I'm not sure exactly which road you mean. The road uphill from Amalfi to Ravello is lovely, very curvy, and in places extraordinarily narrow - - WAY narrower than the famous Amalfi Drive. It is not a long drive - - maybe 5 miles from the Amalfi Drive. Getting around buses on this road can be a fairly serious challenge.

The pass over the Val di Chiunzi (the fastest way to get to Ravello from the Naples Airport) is also very curvy but plenty wide.

The roads on the Amalfi Peninsula are part of the adventure. If it is more adventure than you want to handle, there is plenty of public transportation available. Don't miss Ravello. It is spectacular.

Amalfi
Level Contributor
1,279 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: How cliffy is the ride up/down to Ravello and how long does

It takes around 20 Miinutes on the bus from Amalfi and it is a very safe and easy ride.You biggest challenge will be getting on the bus in Amalfi as they are usually jam packed.

Salerno, Italia
Level Contributor
3,055 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How cliffy is the ride up/down to Ravello and how long does

In August, as Gerardo1 mentioned it is sometimes flat out open-war getting onto the SITA bus from Amalfi (under the tented area) to Ravello. You could think about catching the bus closer to the bus stop up near the bench and the post office with traffic going down (ocean on the left) if you see a huge crowd under the tent near the port. Luckily, as mentioned the ride is pretty short, however, if you didn't get a seat, you'll need to hold onto anything to maintain your balance when the bus rounds its turns.

We took the same bus in February and we were the only passengers to board from Amalfi to Ravello; Viva la differenza...

Buona Fortuna...

Ca.
Level Contributor
107 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How cliffy is the ride up/down to Ravello and how long does

So, for clarification. My cruise will be stopping in Amalfi around April 25. I would like to take a bus from Amalfi to Ravello. Assuming I can get a seat on the bus, how would you describe the road. I read that it is very narrow, but is it very cliffy ? Is the road on the edge of a cliff with a shear drop on one or both sides or is it just mountainous with trees or land on the sides of the road. Also, I think I someone was saying that there are alot of switchback curves. Is that accurate?

Just trying to figure this out as I really want to go there. I have heard so much about its beauty.

Thanks........

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,147 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How cliffy is the ride up/down to Ravello and how long does

No, it is NOT cliffy. There are a few spots where a "bus plunge" would be possible (those only happen in Central America though), but I wouldn't consider the drive to be what you term "cliffy" (like the term). And once you get to Ravello, you'll be very glad that you endured the one or two potential bus plunges on the short drive from Amalfi to Ravello. It's a beautiful and welcoming town.

The trip over the mountains from Ravello to Naples has a few more steep dropoffs, as does the drive from Amalfi to Positano (although they are not terribly high, ... maybe one or two hundred feet at the most). It's NOT alpine terraine and generally the sides of the road drop off more gently (or are lined with buildings) than the roads that likely makes you very nervous.

As described above, the road from Amalfi to Ravello is incredibly narrow - but you'll be in a bus and EVERYTHING yields to the buses (and I've never read about a bus plunge on the Amalfi Coast - I suppose you could Google "bus plunge" and "Amalfi Coast" just to make sure). It should be obvious by now that I really get a kick out of the term "bus plunge".

Dave

Amalfi
Level Contributor
1,279 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: How cliffy is the ride up/down to Ravello and how long does

It is a really easy and safe journey and the bus goes really slowly so do not worry.

Salerno, Italia
Level Contributor
3,055 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How cliffy is the ride up/down to Ravello and how long does

I too have not heard of one incident of a SITA bus plunge off the SS163 nor off the road between Amalfi and Ravello.

The road is carved on the sides of mountains and has a gradual inclination (not steep like California Street in SF, CA) going up from Amalfi to Ravello. The right side (winshield facing you from within the bus) will be the side of the mountain with businesses or houses. The left side will be the lane of traffic coming down from Ravello to Amalfi. Beyond the lane of oncoming traffic will be businesses, groves of trees, and/or a valley, resting on the side of a mountain with a declination which in some parts looking rather "cliffy" and steep (however, not at a 90 degree angle) and some parts looking practically flat.

Buona Fortuna...

Ca.
Level Contributor
107 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How cliffy is the ride up/down to Ravello and how long does

Thanks for all your detailed replies...........

New Orleans
Level Contributor
678 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How cliffy is the ride up/down to Ravello and how long does

jkqca, I am deathly afraid of cliffy drives. I actually call these types of roads "crying roads" because I am reduced to a puddle of tears and keep yelling at my husband to slow down even if he's only going 15 miles per hour. I refuse to go from San Francisco to Los Angeles on Hwy 1--NO way, no how, never, thanks! I hope this explains the intensity of my phobia!

So, please believe me when I tell you that the drive up to Ravello--mind you it was done in our own rental car (I could never do it on the bus!) --was ok for me and I did not shed a single tear. The road to me WAS cliffy and very narrow with several spots where my stomach dropped. But, it was worth it. We actually stayed in Ravello two nights so we did this drive more than once. It is a beautiful little town and I would stay there again in a heartbeat.

Ca.
Level Contributor
107 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How cliffy is the ride up/down to Ravello and how long does

Thanks nola44, for your honest and clear feedback. I know that people who do not have these issues often don't even recognize cliffs when they are on them.

I too, plan to go as I have heard how lovely Ravello is and just don't want to miss it. In fact, I apparently will be doing this a number of times at different stops during my cruise. Hopefully, I will desensitize !!