We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

train travel to and from Ravello

Which Ravello hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
9 posts
Save Topic
train travel to and from Ravello

Four adults are travelling from Rome to Ravello in May; is train the best solution; is Salerno the closest station and is it possible to get taxi, bus etc from station to Ravello?

from Ravello we want to travel by train to Syracusa in Sicily. Any recommendations?

Englamd
4 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: train travel to and from Ravello

Hi there, i see you asked the question about getting from Rome to Ravello. i also see you went in May. Can you tell me what you did in the end as i will be travelling from Rome to Ravello in September?!

Any help would be great, many thanks

Michelle :O)

Hagerstown, Maryland
Level Contributor
6,157 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: train travel to and from Ravello

Michelle - Salerno indeed the closest you can get to Ravello by train. Out in front of the station is taxi stand. I believe a taxi to Ravello from there is about 50 euros. You can also opt for a SITA bus - but I'm not sure there is a bus that runs direct between Salerno and Ravello. You can find out in the tourist info office at the station.

Englamd
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: train travel to and from Ravello

thank you very much, thats very kind and helpful :O)

Melbourne, Australia
9 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: train travel to and from Ravello

hello Michelle

we did jump in a cab from Salerno to Ravello; cost 90 euro which seems expensive however it is almost an hour drive and there were four of us.

We booked a cab for the trip back from Ravello to Salerno a week later and again paid 90 euro.

From what I could understand it is the best way to get to and fro the station.

If you're lucky enough to get a cabby who speaks English and is happy to act as tour guide (as we did) then it makes for a fabulous introduction to the Amalfi coast.

Are you staying in Ravello? It's pretty close to heaven!

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
2,241 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: train travel to and from Ravello

This is very helpful information as we want to do the same. Can you advise whether you have to change trains at Naples? Many thanks.

Salerno, Italia
Level Contributor
3,055 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: train travel to and from Ravello

Actually, Vietri Sul Mare FS Train Station technically might be the closest train station to Ravello and the Costiera Amalfitana. However, many fast trains like ES Eurostar and IC Intercity don't stop in Vietri.

Melbourne, Australia
9 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: train travel to and from Ravello

Trenitalia direct from Rome to Salerno; no need to change trains at Naples. The trip back up the coast to Ravello by cab is a fabulous introduction to the Amalfi Coast.

With the train, you can prebook on the web site and I highly recommend reserving seats as well.

Amalfi
Level Contributor
1,279 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: train travel to and from Ravello

Take a Van from Naples to Ravello which should be around €130 for up to 6 persons.Try DriveAmalfi,email info@driveamalfi.com

Salerno, Italia
Level Contributor
3,055 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: train travel to and from Ravello

For those who get carsick, want to take a boat, and don't mind walking a bit(2 blocks out to the ocean and down a pier), one could use a ferry from Salerno Porto Turistico behind Salerno Piazza della Concordia to Amalfi and then a cab up to Ravello:

coopsantandrea.com/it/…

There's a charge of around €1.50 for each piece of luggage taken aboard.

Buona Fortuna...

New Jersey
Level Contributor
36 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: train travel to and from Ravello

I heard that there is a ferry between Naples and Amalfi...is that a good possibility? Then take the bus up to Ravello....