We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ravello or Positano?

Which Ravello hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Washington, DC
9 posts
Save Topic
Ravello or Positano?

Looking to spend 5 nights in either Ravello or Positano in late June. I've heard great things about both, but am leaning toward Ravello because I've heard it's less crowded/touristy. Would love to hear other thoughts? How small is it? Are there enough restaurant choices for 5 nights? Just looking to soak up the sun, and drink wine, not alot of activities.

Thanks.

sorrento
Level Contributor
274 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Ravello or Positano?

Ravello is certainly more quiet. If you stay there, visit villa Cimbrone, and try to go to a concert at Villa Rufolo. You'll be at about 1000 feet above the water, so you could enjoy the sun, but not too much the sea.

Ravello is small but very very nice.

Restaurants: Cumpa' Cosimo, Garden, Salvatore, Villa Maria, Palazzo Sasso's Rossellini and some others just in town I haven't been to...yes, more than 5!

2. Re: Ravello or Positano?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 August 2005, 16:40
Sunny Isles Beach...
Level Contributor
1,478 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ravello or Positano?

I adored Positano, but friends recently stayed at Palazzo Sasso (Tony just recommended their restaurant), and they were ecstatic. Both places are a slice of heaven IMHO...can't go wrong.

4. Re: Ravello or Positano?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 August 2005, 16:39
New Jersey
Level Contributor
203 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ravello or Positano?

I prefer Ravello, views are stunning and it is less touristy. Last time we didnt stay in Ravello we stayed in Positano and we realized that Ravello would've been a better choice. So now we are going again and we will be staying at Punta Civita B&B this coming July and so far all reviews are great also I spoke on the phone with Roberto the Host and he sounds great and eager to help and make you feel welcome.

J30
Europe
Level Contributor
707 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ravello or Positano?

We did spend a week in Positano and LOVED it. We stayed at Villa La Tartana which is a small B&B down the beach.

From Positano you can explore the surrounding coast: Amalfi ( with its Duomo, Paper Museum ), The Emeral Grotto, Ravello ( with its two villas and the duomo ), Herculaneum, Sorrento.

NJ
Level Contributor
19 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ravello or Positano?

Just came back from Ravello. We stayed in Palazzo Sasso. We absolutely LOVED it. Visited Positano, Amalfi... They are all nice, but there is nothing like Ravello. If you can stay in Palazzo Sasso. It's the best hotel in Ravello.

Bay Village, Ohio
Level Contributor
914 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ravello or Positano?

We were in Positano for 5 days this past March. We loved our apartment there and the view we had each morning when we awoke. We also enjoyed visiting Ravello, which is a very different town from Positano. Why not split your time betweeen a hotel or B&B in Ravello and Positano? We had our two children with us, so I did not want to pack and move during our short 5 day stay. But, if it was just my husband and me, I would stay 3 nights one place/2 nights the other. I think you get a whole different perspective on a town when you actually stay there, versus visiting for the day.

UK
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Ravello or Positano?

It has to be Ravello - its such a magical place!!! If you are looking for a relaxing visit, peace and tranquillity then you wont go far wrong. The views are spectacular. The Garden Restaurant has magnificent views of the Amalfi coastline, and after sun set you feel as if you are dining in the clouds!!

Other fab restaurants are Compa' Cosimo and Vittoria (the latter sits just off the sqaure adjacent to the Villa Rufolo).

Berkshire, UK
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Ravello or Positano?

dcrunner,

I would agree with mom83 - why not split your time between Ravello and Positano? Whilst I agree with all that has been said about Ravello, in my view it is not typical of the Amalfi Coast.

Whilst you can visit Positano on a day trip from Ravello, you will be able to experience its atmosphere to the full only by staying there.

So that you get a full perspective on the Amalfi Coast, go to Positano by ferry from Amalfi, and return by SITA bus along the coast road (or vice versa).

And by the way, don't believe some of the tales you may hear about this coast road. It is a well engineered road, admittedly narrow and twisty in parts, but the SITA drivers are professionals. You can relax and enjoy the stupendous views.

Enjoy your holiday!