We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Enoteca Mansi - buyer beware

Paris, France
Level Contributor
1 post
11 reviews
Save Topic
Enoteca Mansi - buyer beware

Do not buy wine for shipping from Enoteca Mansi in Ravello. We bought 500 euros of wine to be shipped. It never arrived. They don't return phone calls or emails. But we had a wonderful time in Ravello - and met many honest business people.

Milwaukee
1 post
Save Reply
31. Re: Enoteca Mansi - buyer beware

I did not have the good fortune of reading these posts before visiting Ravello in April 2009 and buying 6 bottles of wine from Enoteca Mansi. I will assure all you readers and "rat smellers" that I am a different individual than the others who have posted complaints here.

What remains is that the story is the same: regardless of how much wine/limoncello/etc. you buy, Antonio Mansi sweetly requests that you pay in cash because margins are so thin on wine and credit card processing fees would kill his profit. So you go basically across the street to the ATM and withdraw whatever amount you need to pay (in my case, 200 Euro) and he gives you a receipt and makes you fill out a form for Mailboxes, Etc. to authorize credit card payment for shipping. We had negotiated a reduced shipping charge, which was not honored as I was eventually billed 5 & 1/2 times the amount we agreed upon for shipping. I have just submitted my dispute to CitiCards and, hopefully the fact that I wrote "Max Shipping Charge: 20 Euro" on the authorization before he & I signed it will help my cause in getting a refund.

Oh yeah...he also sent me wine of lesser quality than what I ordered and promised to send me the difference (in Euros) in the mail for the "mix up." Right...I haven't gotten anything from him except a bunch of empty emails.

Level Contributor
2 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: Enoteca Mansi - buyer beware

I googled this shop this morning when I discovered a $279 shipping charge from Mailboxes Etc. in Salerno, Italy. The only thing I bought in Italy that needed to be shipped was wine from Enoteca mansi Buca.

This thread is what I found and I can assure you it is not false.

I visited Italy on vacation two weeks ago and happened into the Mansi Buca shop in Positano, just up from where we ate lunch at The Three Sisters restaurant. Antonio was just as everyone else has said - quite charming and friendly, offering wine to taste and pushing for a sale. He did push us to pay in cash but we didn't have enough on us so we did credit. He indicated more than once that if we bought a case that shipping would be FREE through his account with Mailboxes Etc. He did present us with an MBE form to fill out saying we would authorize them to charge for any returns or reshipments due to breakage.

We weren't totally comfortable in signing it but he indicated that he couldn't ship without it. We signed it and wrote on the form "owner indicates shipping is FREE".

Well, I now have a charge from MBE for $279 for shipping and handling.

Antonio Mansi is dishonest and I'm sure he laughs when he reads these posts from "stupid tourists" and then writes in his broken English (though his English was perfectly fine when we were in the shop!) that he doesn't understand what we're talking about.

What a scam artist.

If you just have to buy wine while you're there buy the 6 bottle maximum and carry it on the plane with you!

Now I'm just waiting for the crap he's going to send instead of what I actually picked out and paid for...

Biggest rip off of my entire 2 weeks in Europe (actually ever!) - what a shame for the area that's typically known for class.

Chicago
Level Contributor
57 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: Enoteca Mansi - buyer beware

I bought wine here July 09, was told FedEx shipping was included, and never received my wine. I emailed and he did respond saying that he would provide shipping within 24 hours. He never sent the shipping info and said that same thing several times. Best part - he told my credit card company that we walked out with the wine that day. Well, you can't take a whole case of wine with you on a plane to the States. BUT my card company took his word for it and I am out nearly $500!!! This is absurd and the man is clearly a crook. He is swarmy, dishonest, and I wish him so much badness I can hardly stand it.

A couple weeks ago after complaining about this situation to a wine vendor in the States that I know, that it would have been illegal for shipping to be included in the prices because it still would have had to go through customs. Yet another lie from that evil man in Ravello.

This is not a false post - look me up - I have a bunch of posts on Tripadvisor.

THIS MAN IS A CROOK.

Level Contributor
2 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: Enoteca Mansi - buyer beware

UPDATE:

Fortunately, Mailboxes Etc did the right thing (after numerous emails sent to executives in the U.S., I was finally put in touch with the correct person in Italy). They did refund my money and sent my wine back to the shop.

After many emails to Antonio through his website (which he replied to in hilariously broken English) he claimed MBE couldn't ship because I told them not to but he still refused to refund my money.

So! My bank (BB&T) went after him through their international fraud protection program (ha - sounds funny but I'm glad they have it) and apparently got a refund because they put the money back in my account.

Buyer Beware For Sure.

philadelphia
Level Contributor
1 post
20 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: Enoteca Mansi - buyer beware

I too supposedly bought wine, limoncello, and basalmic vinegar from Enoteca and NEVER received it or heard back from him via, e-mail, fax, or phone. He must be a real con artist. DON'T buy anything from this man

Edited: 19 December 2009, 17:30
Seattle area
Level Contributor
1,525 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
36. Re: Enoteca Mansi - buyer beware

I want to point out that quite possibly those who have posted their very unpleasant encounter with the wine dealer in Ravello are one-time TA posters because they found the others' posts when googling this person. That is actually how I first found Trip Adviser forums several years ago. I too am a skeptic when there is a negative port, or the post that praises anything to the skies, but I wouldn't discount the posts here simply because the poster had only one or two.

I love to travel, and am planning a trip to Italy, and have just learned a great deal about caveat emptor in the wine trade; (just wish I had the budget to even consider having so much wine shipped).

Best of luck to all who are trying to resolve this--it's such a sour ending to what was certainly an otherwise wonderful visit in Italy.

sparrowbush NY
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
37. Re: Enoteca Mansi - buyer beware

I have ordered from Enoteca Mansi twice and have had no problems

ANTONIO was very nice and would answer all e-mails even called here on the phone.

I would have no problem doing business with him again and look foward do it.

Bedford, United...
Level Contributor
31 posts
1 review
Save Reply
38. Re: Enoteca Mansi - buyer beware

ddd

Bedford, United...
Level Contributor
31 posts
1 review
Save Reply
39. Re: Enoteca Mansi - buyer beware

We ordered 12 bottles of wine and 1 bottle of Limoncello from Antonio back in June 2009 during our honeymoon. Following a number of e-mails going back and forth we have yet to take delivery.

We have since requested a full refund, especially after finding this forum via google.

Since this, the e-mails are now no longer being responded to by him.

Antonio in the past has stated in his defence that nobody every provides any facts in this forum, well we are happy to post our entire e-mail thread on here within which he confirms the following: What we have ordered, how much we have paid, that he has sent out our shipment, and that delivery was included within the price.

Our next step is to advise the Hotels we stayed in, in Positano, and Villa Cimbrone in Ravello, along with the Taxi company and driver we used whom recommended Enoteca Mansi, and finally the travel company we used based in the UK of our experiences of Antonio and his shop. At least this way hopefully we can can the message out there to more people not to deal with this crook. We urge anyone that has had dealings with this man to do the same.

If anyone would like to see the full thread, or Antonio if you read this and feel you can now reply please feel free to contact us.

nashville
Level Contributor
5,125 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
40. Re: Enoteca Mansi - buyer beware

most US states do not allow shipment of wine directly to consumers -- so the offer to ship should be a red flag

perhaps the posters who had these experiences are from states that would allow such shipments? but in no state I have lived in would it be legal without being done through a licensed liquor importer.

you can fly back with a case on the plane -- but for many US states you cannot ship.