We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New York to Ravello

New York City, New...
3 posts
Save Topic
New York to Ravello

Help!!

I am traveling alone to go to an Amalfi coast wedding in July. It appears airfare will be $1500 and room $1300 = $2,800 Can someone give me an idea what a "fragile" 8-10 stay will cost me. I will appreciate what I should see besides the Isle of Capri ? Near by I am not really into tourist sightseeing. Thanks

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,757 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: New York to Ravello

Sorry but I don't know what a "fragile" stay is - can you explain? Do you mean a more budget sort of stay? Or, what?

Are you planning on staying in Ravello or in one of the other Amalfi Coast villages? Ravello is the one that is high above the coast road so you would take a bus or car/taxi down to the coast to Amalfi (the village) from which you can catch boats over to Positano or Capri or Sorrento.

Some info about the area which is really lovely - as beautiful as Capri; both are wonderful areas to just relax, lay on the beach, swim in the sea, take boat rides, hikes, sit and stare at the beauty.

If you haven't yet booked July - do so ASAP - it is high season; it is also going to be very hot so be sure to read reviews with respect to how good or bad the air conditioning is - you will want it.

For info about Capri, including boat schedules: www.capri.net

Info about the Amalfi Coast (good to look these over in addition to your guidebook information):

www.positano.com

www.amalficoastweb.com

It is not inexpensive in the area generally but there are pizza places, casual cafes in which you can eat for lower priced meals and everywhere is required to post a menu so you will know before going in what is on the menu and the prices.

This is the boat schedule for the Amalfi Coast:

http://www.coopsantandrea.com

GAC
Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
Level Contributor
8,828 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New York to Ravello

You can stay at the Hotel Villa Amore in Ravello in a single room for 60 Euros per night, including continental breakfast (no air conditioning, however).

New York City, New...
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: New York to Ravello

LOL I meant frugal. Thanks for the ac tip. Do you think $130 affords a decent room? I am trying to find out where the wedding is i only work and see the guy every day. Guess he is not involved. Definitely the town of Ravello Italy. i think they are getting married at Caesars. Am trying to make plans but want to look on my own first b/f going to a travel agent what do you think??? I have not been to Europe for over 30yrs.....HELP P.S. Should I change US dollars for Euros in the States.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,757 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: New York to Ravello

$130 is, in today's currency exchange rate, 93 euros. I always buy about 100 euros from my bank and from then on, use my debit card because you get the best exchange rate using your credit/debit card(s). (Note: be sure to alert your bank as to your dates of travel/desintations for any cards you plan to use so their fraud programs don't freeze your account).

I wouldn't use a travel agent because it is so easy to do all of it on your own - online. Using your guidebook, these forums and official websites for sites, etc, you can take book your trip without a lot of fuss. Travel agents for the most part, are really not used much by a lot of travelers anymore and many such agents haven't even been to the destinations they are booking. I've heard and read some really bad/outdated advice from them that has been given to people.

Start by using www.venere.com and www.booking.com to see what is available for your dates/budget. It can't be stressed enough to book ASAP - places have literally been booked for that area about one year in advance, so that should be your priority; everything else (transportation, money, etc) can be focused on after that.

Personally, I can't sleep when it is very hot and humid - so, I could never stay somewhere without AC - I don't know what might be available for your budget; if you don't find something suitable in Ravello, look in Amalfi - it will still be difficult but Ravello is so tiny and while Amalfi is very small too, it is bigger than Ravello. You can easily get to Ravello via bus from Ravello - straight up from Amalfi.

I've never heard of a hotel by that name in Ravello - maybe it is Caruso? There is a Hotel Villa Torre di Cesare but that is not right in Ravello - it is over 3 kilometers away. You may just want to clarify.

Where are you flying into? Rome or Naples?

New York City, New...
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: New York to Ravello

Correct Caruso. Can you suggest any hotels for $130 or less per day a/c is a must. You whoever you are....are great. I feel less stressed because of you. So can you give me a ball-park figure for an 8 day stay all included. Is $6,500 doable or will it be closer to $10k (gulp). Nothing fancy and I do not need Souvenirs I will book flight and hotel Monday for sure.

GAC
Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
Level Contributor
8,828 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New York to Ravello

Hotel Toro in Ravello is very close to the Caruso and has air conditioning. You can get a single room for 85 Euros per night, including continental breakfast.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,757 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: New York to Ravello

GAC has offered a suggestion; I am sorry, I do not know the hotels in Ravello as I always stay in Positano.

I think your budget is robust - does that include airfare? Even with airfare, that should be a fine budget for 8 days -

I usually spend about (not including lodging) 50 euros a day; sometimes less if I just have a pizza and wine for lunch or dinner (I can only eat one actual meal a day; just have a small appetite - if I get hungry, I'll have a gelato or some cheese and fruit or something small in a cafe but more than one meal a day is beyond me - here at home too - so I have a cornetto usually for breakfast (Italian version of a croissant) and cappuccino in the mornings usually and then either lunch or dinner.

But, there are places - like here- where the prices range and with posted menus, you will always know what you will be charged and what they offer.

Your other costs will likely be mostly transportation - boat rides, ferry over to Positano or to Capri or Sorrento - buses are cheap (awful too but cheap) -

So - say 8 nights at (average) of 100 euros/night (if you find what you like at that range) is 800 euros, say 75 euros a day (more or less) for other items, less than 800 so that would be about 1500 euros or so - lodging, food, etc - Obviously your proposed budget is more than enough - you could spend a bit extra for your room -

$6500 is about 4600 euros (www.xe.com) - if your flight is about $1400 (which seems about average for this time of year from NYC) that is 1000 euros - You have more than enough. Flight plus lodging plus daily costs (all above) would be about 2500 euros total (Of course, that is all an estimate but you get the idea - you have a nice amount of wiggle room even if you spent another 1000 euros)

And, you are welcome. Wait till you get there - it is gorgeous but I'd still suggest considering staying somewhere down at sea level vs a 20-30 minute bus ride up the mountain in Ravello. Positano and Amalfi are bigger villages with excellent transportation services -

QQ2
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
7,829 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New York to Ravello

Ravello is a lovely place -- after all the stress you have been through to get to this place you will probably be relieved to find yourself in such a serene spot. The wedding is at a very nice hotel, so be sure to enjoy every moment of it. While there I highly recommend a short walk to the gardens at the Villa Rufolo and the Villa Cimbrone to enjoy not just the gardens, but also the breathtaking views.

While a week in Ravello sounds very relaxing to me, I agree it may be time-consuming to get to other parts of the Amalfi Coast from there. So you might want to return by way of, say Amalfi town and Capri. I'm not sure if ferries run to Capri from Amalfi town, but if they do, you could take the bus to Amalfi, ferry to Capri, spend a night or two on Capri, then return by ferry from Capri to Sorrento and spend a night there or in Naples before flying home. I guess that works out to maybe 4 or 5 nights in Ravello, 2 on Capri, and one somewhere else that is more convenient to the route home. Just a suggestion, to be modified according to the wedding schedule of events and your preferences.

Airlines I have found useful for getting to second cities in Italy like Naples include Air France (via Paris) and Lufthansa (via Munich or Frankfurt; I prefer Munich).

QQ2
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
7,829 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New York to Ravello

Actually, another idea would be the ferry between Capri and Naples (or vice versa).

Portland, OR
Destination Expert
for Positano
Level Contributor
6,472 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: New York to Ravello

As an idea on the budget range, I spend a week in Positano each year with a friend and budget around $4000, and here is the breakdown for this year:

Airfare and travel expenses $1900

Food/etc. day = €100 x 8 days €800 = $1040

Apartment rental €1050 = $1365 ÷ 2 = $685

Driver Naples to Pos €100 ÷ 2 = €50 = $65

Pos beach rentals €15 x 5 days = €75 = $95

Ferries €12 x 3 trips = €36 = $45

Driver from Amalfi €100 ÷ 2 = €50 = $65

Driver to Naples €100 ÷ 2 = €50 = $65

I think staying in Ravello for a couple of days for the wedding would be nice, but I would not want to stay there for an entire week. For me, it is too quiet and difficult for transportation having to get down to Amalfi to get anywhere else on the coast.

Edited: 03 May 2014, 20:06