We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxi Fares a Disgrace

Which Ravello hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Armagh, United...
4 posts
Save Topic
Taxi Fares a Disgrace

Hey Just to let people know before they go to Ravello, make sure you travel by bus as taxi is a complete rip off! They charged 30 euro one way to scale which is just over a 1km away. We were in Amalfi one day and tried to get a taxi back to Ravello that evening (just over 5km away) and they wanted 80 euro!!! This is a complete rip off as a bus to Ravello is 2.40 euro. Be warned, make sure you avoid all taxis!!!

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
29,641 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taxi Fares a Disgrace

Standard taxi fare Amalfi to Ravello appears to be about 30 euro.

Level Contributor
1,251 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taxi Fares a Disgrace

Extraurban taxi rides are rarely a good idea in italy. Fares are pretty high.

Walla Walla...
Level Contributor
16 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taxi Fares a Disgrace

The best strategy is to get a group of people waiting for the bus a negotiate a group far with the taxi driver.

Of course, you can always walk down.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
145 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taxi Fares a Disgrace

We got very helpful advice from a fellow traveller (who summers in Positano...lucky woman!) while we were getting off the ferry in Amalfi. She says she always takes the red Hop On Hop Off bus to Ravello. It only cost slightly more than the SITA bus. You can buy your tickets ahead of time at the ticket office across from the bus loop (she said to hold up your tickets once the bus arrives to show the driver you already have them...they will wave you ahead of the people waiting to purchase tickets). She said to make sure to buy a return ticket, which we did. It was a comfortable ride up with fantastic views in the open air bus (bring a hat). It was simple, comfortable, and quite inexpensive. You can catch the bus back down to Amalfi every hour on the half hour at the same bus stop.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
31,292 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taxi Fares a Disgrace

You can't possibly judge from the bus fare what the taxi fare "should" be! Where I live, you can travel for 60 minutes on a €2.10 bus ticket, which could easily cost €80+ by taxi!

I take it you don't use taxis "at home"!

Hobart, Tasmania...
Level Contributor
9 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Taxi Fares a Disgrace

We were there sept 2013, and as there were so many people waiting to catch the local bus, we asked if anyone wanted to share a taxi with us to Revello, another couple said yes, all up cost about 40 euro, so 20 euro per couple, didn't take long to get there. We then took the walk back which was a gem, thoroughly enjoyed it. We thought this was a fair price.

Ballina, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Taxi Fares a Disgrace

From Almalfi to Ravello is 40 Euro each way. That's for sure.

When travelling from Amalfi at the taxi rank there is a sign with all the fares they can legally charge. There is also one at the bottomof the stairs at Ravello.

One cabbie wanted 50 to come down so I started walking away. He said "quaranta" (40) to which I replied "No trenta adesso!"(30 Euro now!) He said OK.

it's a really good idea to do check out the main taxi ranks anywhere, they ALWAYS have a sign with the rates. If you know they won't try it over you, if they try, walk away, they'll soon say ok, afterall, coming down the hill without us , he'd had had nothing

Edited: 05 October 2014, 15:09
Ballina, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Taxi Fares a Disgrace

I side note to that.

Is for more than 4 peopleit will cost you more than 40 euro each way.

I can't rember but I think an extra 5 per person.

Anyway it's all on the sign and in English as well.

9. Re: Taxi Fares a Disgrace

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2015, 05:15