We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how far is ravello from almafl could i walk there

ireland
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
how far is ravello from almafl could i walk there

i am getting married in ravello and would like to know

how long it takes to get to almafi town

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
24,417 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: how far is ravello from almafl could i walk there

If you are the hiking type, I suppose. 6.59km going steep downhill. 8 minutes driving.

Salerno, Italia
Level Contributor
3,055 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: how far is ravello from almafl could i walk there

Dear kat1979,

As mentioned the journey from Amalfi to Ravello is probably around 3-4 miles uphill/downhill on very narrow curved yet paved roads. I would *not* recommend walking between the two cities unless you are hardcore trekking enthusiasts who would enjoy the endurance training of the great climb/descent (this is coming from someone who walked to Capodimonte Museum from Napoli Centrale and back). It's best to take the bus with an E1 ticket which would cost around a euro:

sitabus.it/sitabus/…Quadro-XV-2.pdf

Buona Fortuna...

Mentioned in this post
Amalfi
Amalfi
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Northamptonshire...
Level Contributor
330 posts
305 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: how far is ravello from almafl could i walk there

Better ways to spend time on your honeymoon than trekking up the side of this hill. However, having said that if you do have a car it is almost impossible to drive along the coast road without getting pranged or scraped. Best bet is as advised by previous traveller to get taxi or moped! Good Luck.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,147 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: how far is ravello from almafl could i walk there

Disagree with the advice not to drive. We rented a car and loved the challenge of driving along the coastal highway!

canada
Level Contributor
8,054 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: how far is ravello from almafl could i walk there

There are steps leading downhill from Ravello (via Orso Papice by Villa Rufolo and via Casanova) to Atrani and Amalfi saving a couple of km of switchbacks of the paved road, these steps cut across segments of via della Repubblica. It is not too strenuous, though the steps are not evenly spaced. To climb uphill is too daunting for me.

Mentioned in this post
Atrani
Atrani
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Amalfi
Amalfi
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Amalfi
Level Contributor
1,279 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: how far is ravello from almafl could i walk there

Take the bus from Amalfi UP to Ravello and enjoy the scenic walk DOWN to Amalfi via Atrani.The Tourist Info Office in Ravello will give you a FREE walking guide to the area.The walk back to Amalfi via Pontone is a very scenic alternative to the more direct route.

Mentioned in this post
Amalfi
Amalfi
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Birmingham UK
Level Contributor
8 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: how far is ravello from almafl could i walk there

It would be a crime to drive from Ravello to Amalfi! There are numerous walks down the valley which will take about 1-2 hours if you're fit enough. You do encounter a lot of steps on some of the walks but the views are more than worth it...you walk through the lemons and grapes and past small houses where you always get a greeting - there's a very good walking map that you get from the tourist centre in Ravello and gives the approximate times each will take - choose a walk that takes you through Atrani which is a heaven compared to the tourist bustle in Amalfi!

Mentioned in this post
Amalfi
Amalfi
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Atrani
Atrani
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Salerno, Italia
Level Contributor
3,055 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: how far is ravello from almafl could i walk there

Many locals and tourists (even those in good shape) opt to take the bus or drive between Ravello and Amalfi as not all people feel comfortable making 1-2 hour walk up the hills on the streets between the two cities.

Mentioned in this post
Amalfi
Amalfi
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
223 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: how far is ravello from almafl could i walk there

Just returned from Italy and my mom and I did the trek from Amalfi to Ravello and back down again. We took the route from Ravello through Scala, Minuta and Pontone and I believe it took us about an hour and 45 minutes, including a few stops for taking pictures and consulting the map to make sure we were going the right way.

The trek back up from Amalfi to Ravello is quite strenuous - almost entirely steps and some quite steep. We went through Atrani and it took us just about 2 hours, including several rest stops for water, snacks and taking pictures.

Mentioned in this post
Amalfi
Amalfi
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Scala
Scala
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Atrani
Atrani
Amalfi Coast, Italy
CA
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: how far is ravello from almafl could i walk there

I like the sound of walking down to Amalfi :-)

Mentioned in this post
Amalfi
Amalfi
Amalfi Coast, Italy