We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can anyone tell me about Sabina?

Which Rieti hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Middletown, Rhode...
Level Contributor
195 posts
76 reviews
Save Topic
Can anyone tell me about Sabina?

Can anyone tell me about Sabina. It is not a commune or county I gather? I will be in Rome in May 2013 and would like to travel there as it is not that far. Is the train the best way to go? I do see a bus route listed in the forum. Better than the train? What train station in Rome is best to leave from? I will be staying close to Termini Station so would prefer that station. If I decide to stay over night where is the best place to call my destination, that I could branch out from to see the area by bus or walking.

Has anyone done this trip from Rome that can make recomendations?

Thank you,

TomS

7 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,219 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can anyone tell me about Sabina?

I hadn't heard of it, but it appears to be a region and looks very lovely. Mostly all you need is on their website

http://www.visitsabina.com/

Perth, Western...
Level Contributor
2,458 posts
369 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can anyone tell me about Sabina?

Hi Tom, we love to stop over in Sabina during our trips to/from Umbria (see our reviews). The easiest connection by train is from Tiburtina station to Fara Sabina. One place we would consider to stay is the agriturismo run by Laura Fagiolo. Apart the little villages still "slow" a visit to the Farfa Abbey is a must.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
5 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can anyone tell me about Sabina?

Hi, Tom. The Sabina is the mountainous/hilly area of Lazio generally to the north of Rome and the east of the Tiber (Tevere). It produces what some (me included) claim is the best olive oil in Italy -- and hence, the world.

In addition to the recommendation made in the earlier reply, you might consider stopping at La Torretta B&B in Casperia, where my wife and I have a second home. La Torretta is lovely and Casperia is a wonderful medieval village you can wander freely, as there are no cars allowed (or able to fit in) its centro storico. Reach it via tran to Poggio Mirteto and then Cotral bus from the train station. Or rent a car and drive north from Rome; it's only an hour or so drive.

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
2 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can anyone tell me about Sabina?

Hi Tom, Renting a car is a good idea especially if your time is limited. Orvinio is a lovely little borgo with fantastic views into the Appennines and on the edge of the Monti Lucretili national park, which is worth exploring. The road from Orvinio to Scandriglia is marked as interrupted but with a bit of care it's passable and very beautiful. The other advantage of the area is that prices are relatively low. Even the main road through the area - the Salaria - is a lovely drive. Enjoy!

Swansea, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can anyone tell me about Sabina?

Can anyone please tell me if there's a bus service to Orvinio? Also, if coming from Rome, the best public transport option. Thanks to all.

Middletown, Rhode...
Level Contributor
195 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Can anyone tell me about Sabina?

Why don't you email the comune by going to the web site http://www.comune.orvinio.ri.it/ and using the "contact" tab and ask them for the best way to get there or about the bus.

TomS

Province of Reggio...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Can anyone tell me about Sabina?

How are property prices in the area ?

Reply to: Can anyone tell me about Sabina?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Rieti