We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transfer from Milan Linate to Rive del Garda

Which Riva Del Garda hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
27 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Transfer from Milan Linate to Rive del Garda

Having booked flights and hotel, I am horrified at the cost of the taxi transfer. Can anyone advise of the best way for two adults and teenager plus luggage to transfer from Milan Linate airport to Riva which won't cost more that the flights themselves!

Beammeup

Edinburgh, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Garda, Lake Garda
Level Contributor
7,456 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transfer from Milan Linate to Rive del Garda

Hi, there's a train station at Rovereto which is the closest to Riva. I would think that you could get a train from Milan to Verona then change for Rovereto. From Rovereto take a taxi or local bus.

Have a look at www.trenitalia.it

Mansfield U.K.
Level Contributor
1,480 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transfer from Milan Linate to Rive del Garda

Dear Dublinner, with a teenager and luggage I would just bite the bullet and pay up. I know it's hard and Scotie has got a good practical answer but when you land you just want to be there as soon as possible. Perhaps next time you will choose a resort at the south end of the lake.

Have a great time.

Edinburgh, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Garda, Lake Garda
Level Contributor
7,456 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transfer from Milan Linate to Rive del Garda

Assuming that you're trying to do this at reasonable cost as opposed to speed then I have another suggestion that may or may not be practical! It depends on your arrival time at Linate, and transfer time from the airport to the train station. The trains from Milan stop at Desenzano and Peschiera, both of which are at the southern end of Lake Garda. From there you could take a ferry to Riva. Not the fastest way to travel but definitely cheaper than a taxi! Last year the "fast" ferry (2hours 45 mins) from Desenzano to Riva cost approx 13-14 euro one way. The "slow" ferry (over 4 hours!) cost approx 10-11 euro. There are usually only two fast and two slow ferries per day that travel the full length of the lake.

You will love Riva. Where are you staying?

FF
Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Milan, Genoa, Valle d'Aosta
Level Contributor
12,097 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transfer from Milan Linate to Rive del Garda

There could be an easier alternative -- there is a regular bus link from Brescia to Riva del Garda, with 3 departures a day actually leaving from Sesto San Giovanni, a town just N of Milan. So, depending on day of week and time of day (when are you flying in?) you could take a short bus or taxi ride from Linate airport to Sesto S.G. and hence a direct bus all the way.

FF
Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,097 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transfer from Milan Linate to Rive del Garda

Oh, I forgot -- the bus timetable is here trasportibrescia.it/upload/…LN10m.pdf

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
27 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transfer from Milan Linate to Rive del Garda

I was delighted to read your suggestions.

I arrive in Milan Linate on Sat 2 June at 10.50am. I have been quoted between 520 and 900 Euro for a return private taxi transfer - which is more expensive than our three flight tickets. I have checked the bus and train websites but can't seem to figure out how to navigate them - probably something to do with them being in Italian! (the English option didn't work). I'll keep checking, but if anyone can tell me exactly what to do to avoid such exorbitant costs, I'd be most appreciative.

I intend checking the ferry option next.

Thanks a million.

Edinburgh, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Garda, Lake Garda
Level Contributor
7,456 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Transfer from Milan Linate to Rive del Garda

Hi beammeup,

I believe there's a shuttle bus that goes from Linate airport to Milan station which takes about 45 minutes (someone please correct me if this is wrong!). On the trenitalia web site you just have to put in that you want to go from Milano Centrale to Rovereto, then the date you are travelling and the time.

I had a look at the site and there's a train at 13.05 which gets to Verona at 14.40. The connection leaves at 15.01 and arrives at Rovereto at 15.40.

The next train is 14.05, arrives Verona at 15.40, connection leaves at 15.48 and arrives Rovereto at 16.36. There seems to be a

train almost every hour.

The price (one way) is showing as 19.50 euro for standard (2nd class) and 27.00 euro for first class.

Unfortunately the ferry timetable is still only showing the Spring schedule which ends on May 26th. It shouldn't be too long before the summer schedule is on-line.

FF
Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,097 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Transfer from Milan Linate to Rive del Garda

Beammeup, your arrival time seems to fit perfectly with the routing I'd suggested, i.e.:

- there is a "Caronte" bus at 12.00 from Linate to Malpensa airport which stops en route at Sesto San Giovanni (trip is about 25 min.) - look here (it's in English!!) sea-aeroportimilano.it/en/linate/index.phtml… (or as I said you might take a cab, it shouldn't be more than 20/25 euro on a Sat. morning)

- at 14.00 there is a direct bus from Sesto San Giovanni arriving at Riva at 17.20 (I gave you the website before,it's a simple timetable, "Fer" means weekdays Mon/Sat, "Fer5' means weekdays Mon/Fri, 'giorn' means daily.

The bus terminal in Sesto San Giovanni -- which again is a town just N of Milan -- is on Piazza Primo Maggio, right in front of the local train station.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
27 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Transfer from Milan Linate to Rive del Garda

Thanks so much for all your help. I'll let you know how everything pans out. Great advice, great forum, great way of finding out the best info.

Ireland
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Transfer from Milan Linate to Rive del Garda

Hi Beammeup

Would be very interested to hear how you get on with transfers, we are travelling there, also from Dublin, in Sept for a wedding and were also horrified at the cot of taxis - so any advice you can send my way would be greatly appreciated

Cheers

Trish