We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which Resort ??

ireland
Level Contributor
59 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Which Resort ??

Hi Just booked flights for May to Bergamo going to hire a car and travel around lake Garda maybe to a few locations- It is our first time in the area so just wondering which would be the best,must see resorts- we would like to have a good variety of restaurants / cafes / pubs &shops - pretty cobbles streets etc...we are looking at Torbole at the moment ?? any suggestions thank you

Wakefield, United...
Destination Expert
for Lake Garda, Lake Garda, Nago
Level Contributor
5,748 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which Resort ??

Firstly, are you aware that the journey from the airport to Riva/Torbole is at least two hours, probably longer depending on traffic and the time of day. If you have a late arrival or an early departure you may need to take this into consideration.

Personally speaking, there are much nicer towns around the lake than Torbole. It is situated at the very north of the lake, easy to visit Riva, Malcesine, Limone but involving longer drives to visit anywhere in the south including Verona. Then there is the weather, in May any sort of weather can be expected all the around the lake but the north is more prone to low cloud and can be very slightly cooler.

I would have a look to see where else you want to visit around the lake and surrounding area before making your decision.

ireland
Level Contributor
59 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which Resort ??

Thank you for your advice. It seems the south of the lake gets better weather at this time of the year. We are arriving quite late after 8 o'clock so we are going to stay somewhere near Bergamo town area or Lake Iseo ? for the first night and head to Lake Garda for the next 4 nights. I have been looking at Desenzano ? also or Sirmione ?. We just want to have a relaxing few days in a pretty resort that has a good variety of amenities. We don't want to be on the road as such that is why I want to make sure we pick a resort to match what we want. Thanks again

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which Resort ??

The prettiest town for me is Sirmione but it's also the most expensive so it depends on what you can get for your budget, Desenzano has more budget accommodtaion available and May is not busy so will be cheaper than other months, all the towns on the lake have a good selection of restaurants and your hotel will be able to give you some recommendations.

Wakefield, United...
Destination Expert
for Lake Garda, Lake Garda, Nago
Level Contributor
5,748 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which Resort ??

If staying in the south of the lake, I wouldn't bother with staying overnight anywhere. From Bergamo airport, especially at that time in the evening you would reach Sirmione in about 1 hour, Garda/Bardolino in about 70 mins. A very easy drive, straight along the motorway. It would then give you another full day at the lake.

Sirmione definitely has the pretty cobbled streets and lots of restaurants and bars, Desenzano not quite so pretty more of a proper town feel to it - again just a personal opinion. However if you want lakeside strolling you should look at Garda, Bardolino or Lazise.

ireland
Level Contributor
59 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which Resort ??

Thanks a mill - it will be between Bardolino / Torri or Malcesine..

Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Munich, Bali
Level Contributor
9,988 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which Resort ??

Lazise is a personall favourite.

End of May will be very busy.

End of May (18th May onwards through to start of June this year) is German school holidays. The Germans form by far the largest majority of tourists at Lake Garda.

The German Whitsun holiday moves with the official catholic dates. ´

I have been going to Lake Garda (Lazise) every May (UK Whitsun) for the past 19 years.

When the German holidays are not coincident with the UKs it is positively quiet. When it does coincide it is mad.

You may find some Hoteliers increasing their prices at this time. Also you will find the restaurants significantly busier in the evenings.

As mentioned above May weather can be unpredictable but the north very much more unpredictable and the difference can be severe.

In May there is still a chance of Alpine "wintry" type weather coming over from Austria. It is not unusual to find the south bathed in sunshine (30C+) and the north bathed in rain. I have even seen it snow on the hills around Riva (was quite bad that year).

Generally if it rains in the north doesn't mean it is raining in the south. However if it is rainy in the south generally the whole lake is affected.

Personally in May I would always stay south. YOu can always drive up if it is nice.

7. Re: Which Resort ??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 January 2014, 07:16